PDA

View Full Version : s13 brake swap help (BMC and e-brake) NEED HELP ASAP

zooopreme
02-01-2012, 05:55 PM
cliffnotes:

- currently doing z32 to q45/s13 complete brake swap
- third fitting (in engine bay) cannot be tightened
- right e-brake cable is difficult to put onto handbrake (under body)

Trying to put the brake master cylinder onto car after taking out z32 brake master cylinder and the third fitting (I believe it's one of the front hard lines) will not catch and will not get tight. I believe that the master cylinder tread is stripped. Is there anything I can do besides get a new BMC?

For the e-brake (under body), I'm having trouble trying to connect the right cable onto the handbrake. The right cable is hard for me to get onto the little holes. Would it be okay to bend the hand brake part so that it can fit?

PLEASE HELP ASAP

rcdad123
02-01-2012, 07:16 PM
you would have to get a new mc. as for the e brake, try disconnecting the cable on the caliper side so that you can pull the cable out more and install it on the lever.

koukimonsters13
02-01-2012, 07:19 PM
Yepp sounds like you need a new master. and the cable are going to be really tight or really loose depending on how there adjusted my stock replacements fit like a glove.... but then again you have q45 rears? there a lil different on fitment cable wise

zooopreme
02-01-2012, 09:34 PM
Got the fitting in by wiggling the hardline and as for the S13 e-brake, I'm still having trouble with that as well as another problem...

-When I release the e-brake the adjustment nut/tread or whatever moves. It's never done that before and I made sure that the e-brakes were bolted in and tight...

-The driver's side hard line area is leaking when I press the brake pedal. I plan on reinstalling the soft lines and see if that does the trick.

I'm going to double check tomorrow but is there anything I'm missing?

zooopreme
02-01-2012, 11:02 PM
-When I release the e-brake the adjustment nut/tread or whatever moves. It's never done that before and I made sure that the e-brakes were bolted in and tight...

I'm talking about this part:

http://importnut.net/240pics/brake_upgrade/ebrake/e-brake-16.JPG

KiLLeR2001
02-02-2012, 12:07 AM
Here you go...

http://www.300zx-twinturbo.com/cgi-bin/manual.cgi?list=br&dir=&config=&refresh=&slide=21&cycle=off&scale=0&design=default&total=56

zooopreme
02-02-2012, 11:18 AM
^Sorry but I've got a S13 e-brake right now. I just removed my Z32 e-brake drum along with the e-brake cables and put in S13 cables for S13 rear brakes. I need help figuring out why the e-brake adjustment nut moves while I release and put down the e-brake.

Update:

-Bled the brakes once again, they feel a bit mushy when the engine is on & I'm driving. I am able to stop the car but I literally have to press the pedal further than I'm used to. While I was bleeding them, the brake pedal felt stiff. I even put the cap back on before driving and checked the brakes once again and they felt stiff. I visually inspected the BMC and no leaks. Fittings are tight.

I'm led to assume that because I've got a smaller BMC (stock S13) as opposed to 17/16 BMC: the pedal travel will be a bit further than usual, am I right? Is there something I should check?

nightsauce
02-02-2012, 11:24 AM
your pedal WILL be stiff if you're using the 17/16 mc. I'm using it and I like the pedal feel but to each his own. Nissan stopped using the 17/16 after 91 because the pedal was too stiff and they began using 1" MCs for the z32.

zooopreme
02-02-2012, 11:27 AM
I'm not using the z32 BMC for Q45/S13's, I removed the 17/16 BMC to get the stock S13 BMC in.

nightsauce
02-02-2012, 11:47 AM
derp...i didnt read...dont mind me then

zooopreme
02-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Fixed everything already, thanks anyway, guys.