PDA

View Full Version : Greddy Type S bov/type R

speeddreamz
01-09-2004, 07:35 PM
Hey i got what i think is a greddy type S bov, i bought it used and it only seems to go off when i boost over 7 or 8 psi. It definitly goes off at 10 psi +. The thing i'm wondering, is it possibly a type S blow off valve with a type r spring or a stiffer spring? I know that that exsists but Im not sure. The usual one is purple...mine is black and it WAS NOT REPAINTED.

SiDeWaYs S150sx
01-10-2004, 08:06 PM
well if it's black it's a Type R, not a Type S. Type R is stiffer than Type S, that's probably why it doesn't release at 7-8lbs. I have a type S and the cap is purple, as far as i know only the type R has a black cap. You can buy a softer spring for it.

Grandpa
01-11-2004, 08:15 AM
GReddy bov's (http://www.greddy.com/products/product_detail.asp?catidx=14&catname=Turbo%20Related&prodtype=24&prodtypename=Blow-Off%20Valves&productidx=1345)

Neither of these are black. I have the Type R, and while it's not black, it behaves similar to what you describe.

Tial bov's come in several anodized colors, and the consensus seems to be that they don't open until 7psi or so. Perhaps this is what you have. They are unique in that they discharge in a 360 degree fashion.

tial bov (http://www.tialsport.com/blowoff_valves.htm)

Hope this helps.

-john

nismofeind
01-11-2004, 10:14 PM
the type S is a type not a damn color. the type R is a really really big bov and is all silver.

i don't know about the black painted type s and the purple except for that the purple is more popular in the states. so i would think the purple is a softer spring.

Grandpa
01-11-2004, 10:30 PM
The Type R is the only GReddy bov sold with a "standard" spring or a "stiff" spring. Both are the same color, and I think the only way to figure out the difference if you buy one used, is to either use one of those cool spring tester thingies, or install it and see if your bov opens @ 8psi or 12psi (if adjusted to fully loose).

The Type S has 2 springs in it. One of the modifications you can read about online (if you google), is where you can remove the larger spring so the bov opens fairly easily. Using the bottom port functions in a similar manner.

I am not familiar with older models of either type, or how long they have been in production. This information only applies to the current bovs sold.

-john

speeddreamz
01-13-2004, 05:32 AM
ok, so the purple bov the type S, imagine that purple part just black, everything else looks exactly the same, even has the greddy logo etc etc etc. I know the type R is a big ugly looking silver thing. Im saying,

maybe its a type S

with a type R spring or a stiffer spring... yes...no? seems as if mine opens at alot higher psi.

possibly its because my bov is not welded on any of the pipes, but the greddy fmic kit has a spot for the stock recirc, and i put a radiator hose which fits nicely onto a flange thats welded to the bov, that way, if the piping is changed up around the hot/cold pipes, im not needing to reweld the flange.

Grandpa
01-13-2004, 06:45 AM
Adjust the screw out to loosen the bov. If that doesn't satisfy your needs, hook up the lower port to a place pre-TB and post-Turbo. The pressure will help open the bov.

-john

Siizzzoooo
01-13-2004, 06:52 AM
The type S came in purple AND black

just adjust loosen spring and you'll be set to go, just make sure it doesnt leak at idle and make sure you recirculate it or else you'll run rich and backfire

speeddreamz
01-13-2004, 02:35 PM
lol already happened, i shoot blue flames occasionally. I'll try the smaller nipple to hook up a boost source, thanks guys.