PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox input and output shaft play.

quadzilla
01-28-2012, 01:31 PM
Should there be any on a s15 spec r 6 speed box?

I keep getting conflicting info from not play to some play...

quadzilla
01-28-2012, 05:55 PM
Iv been through it many a time, you might want to read it yoursel because says nothing about the play, So stick your spoon feeding picture :)

rcdad123
01-28-2012, 09:31 PM
there will always be play between the shaft and the bearings. there is a maximum amount allowed. you can probably find that from the fsm, but i really doubt it. unless it`s very noisy under normal operating conditions, it`s a good transmission.

quadzilla
01-29-2012, 07:07 AM
I have a box on the floor in unknown condition, hasnt be fitted to anything. I wanted to ask SHOULD there be play in the shafts.I have searched and I have found conflicting information from there should be no play to there should be some play! Thats the question. The play in the output shaft is more than what I would referr to as bearing clearance, possibly 2mm max movement. I have no feasible method at the moment to measure this play.

The output shaft only has a very slight rock.

How could you think someone managed to get the 5 speed drive shaft onto a 6 speed box? And I dont see what such a question has to do with my initial question, I just want to know what the play should be, fairly straight forward.

If you dont have anything positive to ad keep it to yourself, you clearly the one with the smart ass attitude here with your pictures. Do you always get a themed smart ass picture for your pots?

quadzilla
01-29-2012, 07:08 AM
there will always be play between the shaft and the bearings. there is a maximum amount allowed. you can probably find that from the fsm, but i really doubt it. unless it`s very noisy under normal operating conditions, it`s a good transmission.

Cheers for that, I wont be able to get to run this box for a year or so, I would like to know now if I need to build it or leave it as is. And I never had it in a car so there may very well be no running issues.