PDA

View Full Version : s13 b top SR mines ecu

808slida
01-27-2012, 12:35 AM
Bought a complete motor that came with a mines ecu. Is it a safe ecu to run? Any problems with it or anything? Lmk thanks

Tantwoforty
01-27-2012, 04:12 AM
Do you know what the ECU is tuned for?
The ecu tune MUST match your setup.
Mainly injectors and maf.
If the ecu tune doesn't match the parts on the engine, you run the risk of shooting a piston through your hood about 175 feet into the air.
Or something like that.
If it came with it then it probably matches.. But you should check anyway.
You wont hurt it by trying to start it, you could hurt it trying to mash on it.

Example,
Stock ka: 270cc injectors, stock ka maf
My tuned ecu: 370cc injectors and z32 maf
So if i tried to run the tune with stock stuff, it would run all kinds of shitty because the maf readings are different and the injectors require different timing or voltage or whatever.

Croustibat
01-27-2012, 06:10 AM
mines ECU are OEM ECUs with a chip. Unless you read that chip, you wont know what it fits.

but if the engine came with all anciliaries and that ECU, it could work. Most of these so called "mines ecu" are equivalent to an old "stage 1" chip. But you never know until you either try (could make your engine knock) or read that chip and compare it to a known tune.

fliprayzin240sx
01-27-2012, 06:12 AM
Bought a complete motor that came with a mines ecu. Is it a safe ecu to run? Any problems with it or anything? Lmk thanks

If it has a tune for what you have, why not? Just be aware of the difference in octane rating. Japanese octane gas is slightly better than US gas. Tune might be slightly too advanced for the gas you'll be running and potentially knock, specially at higher boost.

Look around the ECU, maybe even inside. Sometimes you'd have a sticker stating what mods the ECU is for (bigger injectors, Z-Maf, etc).

808slida
01-27-2012, 11:06 AM
thanks, ill ask the previous owner, he told me he ran it for a bit wit the motor so yea

Silverbullet
01-27-2012, 11:35 AM
I dont remember if it was Jim Wolf or Enthalpy that said this but most of those generic stage 1 tunes just have a slightly richer top end and a removed speed limiter. I wouldn't say its worth the cost unless you just don't have an ECU yet.

808slida
01-27-2012, 12:00 PM
i emailed Enthalpy about the ecu, they havent got back to me yet. but reading some stuff it does say higher octane, removed speed limiter, higher rpms. have to find out what is it tuned for. but yea dont have another ecu yet.

Croustibat
01-27-2012, 12:53 PM
I dont remember if it was Jim Wolf or Enthalpy that said this but most of those generic stage 1 tunes just have a slightly richer top end and a removed speed limiter. I wouldn't say its worth the cost unless you just don't have an ECU yet.

i have read (and made) some "stage 1" chips and at least for a CA or an SR, they are quite different from oem map. They are LEANER top end, have rescaled TP scale to accomodate for 15 psi boost, load cut removed, and a redesigned timing map. The car really feels different after getting a stage1 chip. But it needs to be in good condition before that, safety margins are quite reduced and it usually ends up with melted pistons if/when something goes wrong.

You would have a hard time going richer without getting knock too... These engines run 9:1 ~ 10:1 as standard when at WOT.

JDMRIDDAZ
01-29-2012, 08:09 PM
I have a stage 3 mines ecu on my sr
All u have to do is email mines with all the numbers from ecu and they will tell u wat its got
and u can run stock or wat the tune requires
That's wat they told me in the email

Croustibat
01-30-2012, 01:43 AM
I have a stage 3 mines ecu on my sr
All u have to do is email mines with all the numbers from ecu and they will tell u wat its got
and u can run stock or wat the tune requires
That's wat they told me in the email

I think you misunderstood badly... you can run stock, with the stock mapping.

there is just no way a tune can "self adapt" to new MAF/injectors.