PDA

View Full Version : tuning a ka24det

McMahon
01-26-2012, 11:45 PM
My buddy tunes hondas and wants to learn how to tune nissans as weel. He wants to tune my s13 as a dummy. He doesn't use safc or an emanage.

Can someone link me to a write up that I can have him read to familiarize him?

He usually tunes through the ecu/chip burner.

McMahon
01-27-2012, 07:27 AM
Saw a good thread on ka-t, but the links no longer existed.

Croustibat
01-27-2012, 08:02 AM
No offense, but you know how to tune or you dont know, that does not change from an engine brand to another. I would never let someone use my car as a guinea pig for mapping, especially when i hear that.

If he only needs to get used to the tools then it is ok, but your post makes it look like he does not.

Mapping requires monitoring and measuring tools : wideband AFR sensor, EGT sensor, gauges or an AD converter hooked to a computer. It also needs a way to measure power output, like a dyno (real or virtual) Is your car equiped ? Is your buddy ready to pay for it ?
If one of these is lacking, he WILL bust your engine for sure.

Seeing as he is alreading cheaping out on software (ease of use mapping software exist for hondas), i dont think he is going to get your exhaust manifold out to solder an EGT bung, nor solder an AFR bung to your downpipe.

Maybe he will. But i dont think so.

Now that it is said, he can either use "romeditor", which is free, or get a nistune, which is not free but a very nice piece of software and hardware. Or get a powerFC or any standalone ECU, which are very expensive. I think there is a demo version of the nistune to get familiar with.

Walperstyle
01-27-2012, 01:37 PM
No offense, but you know how to tune or you dont know, that does not change from an engine brand to another. I would never let someone use my car as a guinea pig for mapping, especially when i hear that.

Agreed.

Also, update-Turbo Math, and what helped me - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AasEZE3IK_w&feature=plcp&context=C38c5d79UDOEgsToPDskJUBU7uXtBbLw00zc1scvqy )

Get Reading if you want to be a DIY type of person. And take your time.
http://covers.openlibrary.org/b/id/1422433-L.jpg
http://www.bevenyoung.com.au/images/36460.jpg

McMahon
01-27-2012, 02:28 PM

If he only needs to get used to the tools then it is ok, but your post makes it look like he does not.

Mapping requires monitoring and measuring tools : wideband AFR sensor, EGT sensor, gauges or an AD converter hooked to a computer. It also needs a way to measure power output, like a dyno (real or virtual) Is your car equiped ? Is your buddy ready to pay for it ?
If one of these is lacking, he WILL bust your engine for sure.

Seeing as he is alreading cheaping out on software (ease of use mapping software exist for hondas), i dont think he is going to get your exhaust manifold out to solder an EGT bung, nor solder an AFR bung to your downpipe.

Maybe he will. But i dont think so.

Now that it is said, he can either use "romeditor", which is free, or get a nistune, which is not free but a very nice piece of software and hardware. Or get a powerFC or any standalone ECU, which are very expensive. I think there is a demo version of the nistune to get familiar with.

I spent $700 on my 240, I dont mind letting him use it as a dummy. He's got all of the tools, but some ECU's are different when it comes to tuning. I'll let him read this though.

rcdad123
01-27-2012, 07:58 PM
is your engine turbo charged? if it is, most of the time an engine blows, the turbo goes bad because of the debris that goes out the exhaust and passes thru the turbine. you might want to think about that before you roll the dice on your engine.

McMahon
01-28-2012, 08:18 AM
is your engine turbo charged? if it is, most of the time an engine blows, the turbo goes bad because of the debris that goes out the exhaust and passes thru the turbine. you might want to think about that before you roll the dice on your engine.

Not yet, I still need a few components. I'm going to have him tune it N/A first before I have it attempt at it boosted.