PDA

View Full Version : JWT cams + ECU

yudalicious
01-08-2004, 08:40 PM
hey I got most of the bolt ons and a pair of JWT cams. I'm really looking into the ECU upgrade for the higher rev limit because I think there is more power to be gained w/ the higher rev limit. (at 7000 instead of 6700 ish for the s14). I've boucned off the limtier coupla times because once the engine goes to 6000 rpms, it just keeps pulling like crazy.

But one thing comes to mind, of course, higher RPMs = more stress on the engine, with 110+ miles on my, you think the higher RPMs would significantly reduce engine life/cause more wear??

sykikchimp
01-09-2004, 09:11 AM
I can tell you from experience... The JWT Cams w/ JWT ECU Still drop power after about 6500rpm. Shifting above the revlimit isn't beneficial. I would not recommend it.

The KA has some REALLY funky harmonics at around 7600rpm, that if maintained could easily destroy the engine. One of the faults of having a non-fully counterbalanced crank.

btw- The guy I know with JWT ECU and Cams gained 12whp when he added just the ecu to his car w/ cams/intake/exhaust/pulley. Pretty impressive.

yudalicious
01-09-2004, 10:20 AM
oh ok thanks, yea I've seen some dynos of JWT cams/ECU and the power does start to drop after 6300-6500 ish but I would tihnk even if it starts to drop, there is still more hp to be found after the 6500~ than by shifting to the next higher gear, but I have no 1st hand experience w/ this.

My alternative is an SAFC/SAFR + tuning, which would cost a little less than the ECU w/ some dyno time, but they do not advance timing nor do they get rid of the automatic retard function (dunno what youu call it) that the JWT ECU supposedly gets rid of.

I just want to know form experience, is revving the motor to 7000 a significant reduction of the motor's life and does it put a significant amount of stress on the internals.

sykikchimp
01-09-2004, 10:27 AM
7000 rpm's is ok. I would try to stay at or under that. It's ok to rev a bit past peak power, but you get to a point of diminishing returns rather quickly.

Rev to 7K and call it a day.

It's called "Tip-in retard" it's is a retard in timing upon initial kick to WOT. That along with the speed limiter removal, and fuel cut change are all the main reasons I want one. If you do a track event, it's REALLY annoying to hit a stupid rev-limiter in 5th gear at 115mph down a straight that you could probably do 130...

hurleyboi514
01-09-2004, 01:46 PM
yeah it is!! when were u hitting your limiter at Lowe's charles?? i was hitting it right after i got onto the back straight after the 1st and 2nd banked corners, so i didnt even get to use the big straight. what's even more scary is when it goes off inbetween 3rd and 4th nascar, eek!! and that little dip midway didnt help either...

Jeff240sx
01-09-2004, 02:05 PM
Or you could add boost and bounce off the 7500rpm rev-limiter. I love the JWT cams and ecu, and wish I'd gotten them both much sooner.
-Jeff

sykikchimp
01-09-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by hurleyboi514
yeah it is!! when were u hitting your limiter at Lowe's charles?? i was hitting it right after i got onto the back straight after the 1st and 2nd banked corners, so i didnt even get to use the big straight. what's even more scary is when it goes off inbetween 3rd and 4th nascar, eek!! and that little dip midway didnt help either...

Those places, and I would hit it right before the braking zone into infield Turn 1.

I also hit it on the Back and front straight at VIR Full.

completely obnoxious. My instructors are always: "you NEED to get rid of that.."

yudalicious
01-09-2004, 08:50 PM
Yes, the tip in retard, that is what I'm referring to.

Thanks for the great feedback. What about longevity of the motor? would the extra revs significantly reduce engine life? I know the s13s have a redline of 6900 and a rev limiter of 7200 I believe so I don't really tihnk it is a matter of concern.

Also would the stoc springs/retainers hold up at 7000 RPMs w/ the jWT cams? I asked at NICO and only got 1 response and would like more to be sure. Thanks

ryan hagen
01-09-2004, 11:05 PM
i got brand pdm cams, and brand new oem springs when my shop lost mine, and i have a little gurgle at 6700 to rev limiter it sounds funky, but i dont think its valve float, but i d get stiffer.jwt has a set of springs and retainers, i emailed them about theose and the adjustable cams gears but they never emialed me back.