PDA

View Full Version : Spin-Turn Knob Install Help...Please!

SiNFuL
01-08-2004, 07:12 PM
Hi guys, I just received my spin-turn knob from jspec.com and the site is very unhelpful, along w/ the owner. Anyways, once I get the E-Brake boot off and pry out the metal tabs, do I let the spring inside drop, or do I take it out? Thanks ahead!
-Galen

96twofourty
01-08-2004, 07:41 PM
what does a spin turn knob have to do with a e brake?

jaja
01-08-2004, 07:47 PM
96 - when people drift, some like to use the parking brake to start to give them a sidewards momemtum. The spin turn knob sort of gives the parking brake unlock button a new function. Instead of "locking" the parking brake when fully pulled, the spin turn knob allows max force from the parking brake without locking it there. (If I remember correctly you have to pull the button instead to lock it... someone correct me if I'm wrong)

knightrider
01-08-2004, 08:01 PM
ok, once you pull out the tabs, do whatever u want with the spring, it doesnt matter. let it fall, take it out, it wont perform any diferent either way. after you do what you want with the spring, reinstall the boot, and push the spin turn knob over the button, and there you have it, an installed spin turn knob, installation of one isnt rocket science, you shoulda figured that out. and a spin turb knob allows you to disable the auto locking feature of the button, you push it in and you can pull the side brake without it locking, to lock it, simply pull out the knob and pull up, there you have it, a normally functioning ebrake.

SiNFuL
01-08-2004, 08:04 PM
alright...but it doesnt make sense on how pulling a little silver piece out is gonna do anything to make it lock or not lock.
-Galen

ryan hagen
01-09-2004, 07:11 PM
by pulling the knob out u re-engauge the little clip that makes the grinding/clickin noise, and then the ebrake wont fall. the spring you disingauged is what pushes the ebrake button out so with out it you move the button manauly, and with it in it wont lock in place and makes it weasier to pull to slide

s0ldats
01-09-2004, 07:46 PM
i dunno if you were trying to diss sam on purpose, but he's a very cool guy and busy. i think right now they're at the tokyo auto salon, so that's probably why he didn't return your call/email. besides if i were a busy business man, i sure as hell wouldn't waste my time on someone that couldn't install A SPIN TURN KNOB. (not that sam woudln't)

ruf
01-09-2004, 08:10 PM
Sam is in Tokyo for another week or so.

The knob is just a mechanism to pull or push the button in and out. The spring is what keeps it out and makes that rachet-y noise. Once it is removed (or the tabs bent out), then it's useless and the button wants to always drop into the unlocked position. This is perfect for pumping the e-brake because you don't have to keep your thumb pressing the button. When you actually want to use the e-brake as a parking brake, then you pull the little knob out at the top of the lever pull to re-engage the lock.

Honestly, if you are having trouble installing a spin-turn knob and understanding how it works, you probably shouldn't be working on your own car.

SiNFuL
01-09-2004, 10:30 PM
I'm not trying to diss Sam for not responding, but he just offers no suggestions at all and makes it sound like everythings my prob, not his; even though its his product. Maybe I just get him at the wrong times, and the worry about the spin-turn knob is because ive done a lot of stuff on my car where I feel "this has to be easy, no need to ask for help" and voila, I f*ck up something bigtime. Like if the spring was what helped the spin-turn knob work and then it drops and its suppose to re-attatch somewhere else, and I can't reach it; that would be one big pain-in-the-ass that could be helped by just asking a simple question. Thanks for the support guys.
-Galen