PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove S13 Windshield?

gijoe69
01-04-2004, 05:47 PM
^^^^ How do you remove the S13 windshield? and molding? thanks - Joe

Ghettokracker71
01-05-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by gijoe69
^^^^ How do you remove the S13 windshield? and molding? thanks - Joe

I can't help but be asmart ass....

Very carefully!

THats a good question,I don't know myself,...I need to replace my windsheild though soon before it cracks...so I definitely would like to hear this one out........

rps13_fastback
01-05-2004, 04:27 PM
I want to know exactly how also. I'm guessing it's just removing the black thing around it and the rest is glued on and you just use a heat gun to melt off the glue. I have a parts car with a good windshield that I will try it on some time

black s13
01-05-2004, 05:10 PM
just asked my friend who goes to a tech school here, he said not to use the tool made to remove the moulding, itll break the glass. he reccomended using a piece of guitar string, get it under the black rubber stuff, and slowly worj your way around, when you get that stuff out the glass will just lift out.

Ghettokracker71
01-06-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by black s13
just asked my friend who goes to a tech school here, he said not to use the tool made to remove the moulding, itll break the glass. he reccomended using a piece of guitar string, get it under the black rubber stuff, and slowly worj your way around, when you get that stuff out the glass will just lift out.

Cool...I've heard of the "string method" on INSTALLING the windsheild...but taking it out too? Logically speaking it would work great...I've never tried it though

burkkus
01-06-2004, 09:52 PM
okayyyy- mine had a leak -old owner i might add- he put a ton of sealent and was done with it- looks bad and i dont wanna pay to get it redone (more important things like suspension and swap) what is the sealent and whats with this guitar string idea? has anyone done it before?

black s13
01-06-2004, 10:12 PM
i watched it get done yesterday, taking the windshield out of our 240 parts car. use a razor and cut a slit in the rubber, like the short way, then use the guitar string (decent thickness, like 5th or 6th) and push it into that slit, work your way all the way around, using the string kinda as a saw. itll cut the rubber out, then the glass just lifts out.

twitchy
01-07-2004, 04:24 PM
theres always the ball-peen method

Ghettokracker71
01-07-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by twitchy

hah hah...I'm not cleaning up that mess...

samiam
01-08-2004, 11:41 AM
Apply numerous strips of duct tape to the interior side of the windshield and bash the shiot out of the exterior side of the windshield and waala! slowly remove the windshield not to damage the newly fabricated w.shield so you can replace it later. Hope that helps.

Actually, the guitara string method is one that is used professionally, it cuts threw all the sealant and you can remove it. Make sure you clean both the edges of the windshield and frame of the car so when it's replace you get a good seal; Leaks are no funn.

Pacman
01-08-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by twitchy

I was gonna say 10lbs. sledge, but I guess your way works, too.

SHIFT_SR20DET
01-08-2004, 08:37 PM
If you plan on keeping it use Guitar String and cut away at the silicone around the windscreen.

If you don't then get inside the car and kick the crap outta it.

TheSparo
01-09-2004, 12:57 PM
replacing a windshiled is something i leave to the professionals...

pr240sx
01-09-2004, 02:15 PM
Although you can use a guitar string AFTER you cut a small slit around the glass perimeter, is recommended (and the glass shops actually use this) a small diameter steel wire.
They use a 90 degree razor knifw to make a small channel around the glass, then from the INSIDE they push the wire, wrap the wire to a metal tube and start pulling in and out until the go around the whole glass.

The wire will get super hot
safety glasses are a must
long sleeve shirt is recommended (if the wire breaks and hit you in the arm you will bleed like MOFO)

Thats the way glass shops remove glass

And they dont use silicone as a sealant, the use polyurethane sealer with the correct primer to seal.

Ghettokracker71
01-09-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by TheSparo
replacing a windshiled is something i leave to the professionals...

Agreed,but its still cool to know how to do...or do on a project car ...so that if you mess up you don't have to rely on it to get to work in the morning....:bash:

twitchy
01-10-2004, 11:03 AM
definitely to the pros, well the install part anyhow. Your windsheild is a big part of your cars frame and stuff. Did you know a cracked winsheild can affect the way your airbags work?

kazuo
01-10-2004, 07:52 PM
S13's dont have air bags. :)

Anyway, use guitar string or I'm even told dental floss works. :P

Anyone wanna buy a HUD windshield in perfect shape? If so I have one. :D

And before anyone tries to lowball me.. call your local dealer and ask them how much HUD windshields cost. :)

SHIFT_SR20DET
01-10-2004, 09:27 PM
Dealership cost on those wintscreens with HUD is $700cdn.