PDA

View Full Version : SR turbo w/o intake

ae86andrewcrew
01-04-2004, 05:08 PM
i have redtop sr20det in my s13 coupe and i was running low on funds and i was wondering if it is REALLY bad if i roll around without an intake kit. i always see those videos of engine bay shots and a lot of cars dont have intake on the turbo. i will eventually get one, but wat do u guys think? also since it seems like most SR owners are poor :D (no offense), wat do u guys usually do? do u all have intakes? well any help will be appreciated. thanks

stp9154
01-04-2004, 06:13 PM
No intake and no MAF?? or just no intake?? Those cars that you see without intakes and MAF's all have some kind of stand-alone units to control air. I think that's why they can live with out filters and regular MAF's. As for you and i, i don't think you can even start up the car w/o MAF's (maybe i'm wrong on this, never tried it.) Just get an intake, i've seen so many on ebay.

Evil S14
01-04-2004, 11:06 PM
the car will start without the mafson, it just wont run for long :o

ae86andrewcrew
01-05-2004, 04:14 AM
oh ok i understand. gotcha folks. thanks for the help. i really appreciate it. its just i have a whole list of things i want/need for my car and i have no idea how to prioritize them. sorry but one more question. if i bought a koyo radiator, are electric fans essential? or can i just have the radiator for now and buy the fans later? i wont auto-X or do any hard driving until i get the fans, just regular driving w/ the occasional lead foot. would that be ok?

stp9154
01-05-2004, 07:08 AM
Overheat is one of the common problem in SR. If you live in a cold climate area, you can probably live without it for a while before summer comes. So yes, i would buy one or two if i were you.

uiuc240
01-05-2004, 11:49 PM
Wrong. Even in Chicago when the temp is 20 degrees outside, my coolant will get hot enough to kick my fans on. And I too have a Koyo radiator.

The minute airflow stops, temps go up. I don't care HOW cold it is outside.

The only way you MIGHT be able to get away with having no fans would be to turn the car off whenever you stop in traffic, and run without a thermostat to keep the coolant flowing all the time. You will have shitty gas mileage, but it shouldn't overheat as easily.

P.S. SR's run hot by nature. Get the fans. And don't cheap out and get ones with no shroud. Total waste.

Eric

ae86andrewcrew
01-06-2004, 06:16 PM
ok you guys have scared me into moving the fans up on my list of priorities since i live in california. dammit. i need a job.

RBBaby
01-07-2004, 04:26 PM
what happens if you get stuck behind a dump truck and a pebble goes flying into your compressor? that'll be real cost effective, now wont it?

cutter
01-07-2004, 08:19 PM
just in case you do drive with no fans here are some tips. your engine gets the hottest when you turn the car off so dont kill it all of the time. also your car will over heat if you let it idle a long time. driving actually speeds up coolant flow. turn on your heater and that will help get rid of some heat, if your car starts to get hot you will hear detonation, and then you kill your car imediatly, and wait till it is cold to start driving again.

ae86andrewcrew
01-07-2004, 08:56 PM
yea well i've already decided to get an intake and fans so i dont risk blowing my motor or anything. you made it sound like im a fluckin idiot RBBABY. :D . i've seen a lot of cars w/o it so thats why i asked. :p . but yah, little objects was the first concern i thought of.

96twofourty
01-08-2004, 08:24 PM
you can run with no filter with no problem, you just need a large screen there to stop rocks. You do need to change your oil more often though and your compressor fins might get slightly chipped from small debris

SHIFT_SR20DET
01-08-2004, 08:29 PM
I'm Currently running no MAF or Air Filter on my car.

What I'm running as with all those guys you see with no MAF is a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) Sensor. It works on Manifold Pressure to calculate the air going into your engine. I Strongly reccomend this if anyof you guys are running tectom to tune your car. Running no Airfilter though I dont reccoment as I will be getting one shortly.

wootwoot
01-08-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by uiuc240
and run without a thermostat to keep the coolant flowing all the time

i know your not even completly serious but if you ran without a thermostat your temperature would still get rather high because the coolant would be passing through so quickly that the heat would not have a chance to dissipate.

run on sentence woo!

SHIFT_SR20DET
01-10-2004, 09:38 PM
With no Thermostat man the coolant will pass by soo quickly it will dissapate the heat quiker therefore causing the engine to never reach optimal engine temp. Why do they make hi-flow Thermostats for big trucks that pull alot of stuff? To make them heat up?