PDA

View Full Version : Tranny strength

4nspeed
01-02-2004, 02:44 PM
how much power can a 5 speed redtop tranny hold? anyone know where i can find out?

4nspeed
01-05-2004, 11:55 AM
i need to know how much power the 5 speed can hold. :aw:

Dousan_PG
01-05-2004, 11:59 AM
depends what your doing and how you are driving.
i coudl blow up my tranny w/ 136rwhp if im driving like a dum dum.

one guy on FA blew up his sr20det tranny 3 times (3 different ones) drag racing (at the track) with 500ish RWHP

SR20DETpwr
01-05-2004, 12:42 PM
mailto:[email protected] - ask enjuku about their tranny - they've got 544whp on their first redtop, but i have no idea if they've gone through any tranny's or not.

steve shadows
01-05-2004, 05:42 PM
reliably under constant heavy stress i would say around 450 whp if there is a GOOD driver behind the wheel, i have had no problems beating the living crap out of my stock fs5 tranny for the last 2 years with first 200whp and now 350daily driven whp (poss much more no dyno lately) so they are beefy.

if would say youll be safe up til 450 with the proper clutch and pressure plate and a nice stock resurfaced flywheel.

sure the fs5 can handle 550whp on a dyno or 500whp on the street even, but with heavy drag launches on sticky tires somthing has to give and the cv axles arent going, the diff is an oxe and the driveshaft is plenty strong that leaves the gear box!
and the fs5 is up to the task to a point. Im sure as more people (like me) push the living crap out of their old aged stock sr gear boxes a general known limit will be reached. In the us the idea is if aint broke dont fix it, this is prolly why in japan no one really know the limits of stock gear box vs. max applied torque because everyone swaps out for better racing gear boxes etc. for high hp setups...

-steve