PDA

View Full Version : anyway to fill a hole on a aluminum head?

b00stinbmx
01-04-2012, 08:45 PM
not sure if anyone has heard about how i could go about fixing this but i need to somehow fix it if possible.

on this rb25det head i have one of the exhaust manifold stud holes was stripped out and re-drilled and taped for a bigger stud, well unfortunately its just big enough that i would need to drill out my exhaust manifold and gasket. i would rather see if there is ANYWAY possible to fill this hole back in, or something i could use to get it back to the original hole diameter and thread size. just seeing if this was possible because im not too familiar with anything like that. and i know theres helicoils out there but i have a bad feeling its just a touch too big and wouldn't work.

Sileighty_85
01-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Weld and Re-tap
Or Helicoil

Those are really your only options

95s-14
01-04-2012, 09:13 PM
time-sert makes a kit that's called there big sert kit for fixing holes that have been tapped too big and bringing them back to factory size kit is kind of pricy but these work way better than helicoils

codyace
01-04-2012, 09:17 PM
If you're not comfortable with this work, it's a very easy machine shop job

nightsauce
01-05-2012, 07:02 AM
I'm not sure if the size is the same for the stripped thread you have, but I just ordered a M14 1.5 time sert kit for the gf's VW oil pan drain bolt. It comes with 5 inserts and I only need one. I paid 110 + shipping. If that's the right size, I'll sell you the kit for 90 shipped.