PDA

View Full Version : Is there a drain plug for the transmission on a 90 240sx?

Pdan206
01-01-2004, 04:44 PM
I just bought a 90 Nissan 240sx and before modifying the car I want to make sure it runs top notch stock first. The car has somewhere over 200k miles. I replace the fuel filter with a fram one, air filter with a fram one also. Change the oil. NOt sure what else needs to be done.

aeontony
01-01-2004, 06:49 PM
Hm. As for your title question, yes, there is a drain plug. Just look on the bottom of the transmission for the manuals, or on the bottom of the ATF pan for the autos. It's in plain sight.

As for maintenance, you could probably do the following:
1) Check/replace the belts
2) Change the diff and trans. fluids
3) Check/replace hoses and vaccum lines
4) Replace coolant
5) Spark plugs/wires/reset timing
6) Compression check
7) You can try flushing the engine with one of those engine cleaner things. I don't know how well they work but at 200K you should have more deposits than you'd like.

Pdan206
01-01-2004, 10:13 PM
Is differential and transmission fluid two different things? How do I reset the timing?

hurleyboi514
01-01-2004, 10:17 PM
some times, i run the same viscosity in both the tranny and rear end. 75w90 should do just fine for both. others might have different recommendations. and reseting the timing is a complicated task, buy a factory service manual and a timing gun to figure it out. itd take forever to explain!

Pdan206
01-02-2004, 10:53 AM
Is there two different places that I pour the transmission fluid and differential fluid into? Are they all on the tranny? Will it be label? I'm sorry for all the question but I can't afford a 75 dollars book right now.

Pdan206
01-02-2004, 10:57 AM
Where and how much did you spend on your bodykit? Looks really nice.. I want one......

hurleyboi514
01-02-2004, 01:06 PM
if you take the shifter out, you can pour it in there, but thats not what your supposed to do, but it works... you need a pair of snap ring pliars ($12) to get the shifter out. i think its like 2.9 quarts to fill the tranny... i just used 3. you really just need to jack the car up and get under there and look. you'll learn alot just getting down and dirty with the car. you'd be suprised.

and i didnt buy my aero set up as a kit, i bought the wing from jspec, the skirts from a guy on FA, and the lip from PDM racing. the wing and skirts had some damage, so i got them pretty cheap. id rather not say how much. i can work with fiberglass, so i patched them up, painted them and threw them on the car... i will say it was under $700 to get everything on the car painted and all...

DSC
01-02-2004, 06:18 PM
Here's a writeup I did a while back...
http://www.240motorsports.com/zilvia/oil/howtogeneral/howtotranny-diffoil.htm

for engine oil, just incase...
http://www.240motorsports.com/zilvia/oil/howtogeneral/howtoengineoil.htm

This is for 5spd only. I've never touched an automatic, don't know about changing their tranny fluid.

Edit: Oh yeah, don't bother trying any other links as they won't work. Just those articles and the pics within (click the pics for a bigger version). I just copied those from my OLD website.
The new one has been one big :bash:

RiversideS13
10-15-2004, 02:16 AM
Could anyone tell me more about putting oil from the shifter? I spend whole night tried to change the transmission oil, i drain the oil fine, but i just cannot remove the fill plug. The plug just so tight that my friend and me cannot make it move. I am very disappointed right now.....I was even decided maybe i should tow the car to a shop tomorrow and let them take care of it...., but maybe i should try the shifter removal method before i give up because i put done so much work already and i dont feel like to pay them 20 or 30 dollars just put oil into my car.

thanks

blu808
10-15-2004, 02:41 AM
You do not need to remove the fill plug from the tranny. All you need to do is take the shifter out of the tranny. That is the thing you switch gears with...

You should start by removing the shift knob, then the plastic center piece around the boot, then remove the boot ( leather thing). Then unscrew the 4 10 mm bolts surrounding the rubber seal that the shifter is going through. Then you will be able to see the tranny from the drivers compartment. Now remove the rubber boot that meets the tranny ( dont tear it, or your tranny will leak) You will now be able to see the 2 snap rings, Remove the upper snap ring with snap ring pliers (or a screwdriver if your feeling lucky), now pull the lower locator snap ring out. You should now be able to pull up on the shifter until the whole shifter slides out of the tranny. Now... Pour your tranny fluid into the tranny. Make sure you do not add to much fluid (or too little)

Now repeat the steps backwards and you should have a tranny with fluid.
Ohh and fyi the diff is not associated with the tranny. The diff is the large metal pumpkin looking thing in the middle of the rear subframe.

Good luck, and please do us all a favor and research your upcoming mechanical task before you dive into them. This will make your life alot less stressfull.

:p

RiversideS13
10-15-2004, 11:24 AM
Hi thanks for the reply. I read my OEM repair manual and followed the instruction but i guess the street technique will work better.

I found the round rubber piece on the shiftter alredy badly teared, can you tell me what is the exactly name for that piece? Is it as same as S14? because i think my friend has a extra one. also i am wondering why that broken piece will cause leak? thanks again

TheTicTac
10-15-2004, 03:19 PM
The rubber boot just keeps the transmisson oil from seeping out of the shifter hole. If you fill the tranny with 2.4L of oil as it says in the manual you will be fine.