PDA

View Full Version : My first event maybe

DRFT
12-31-2003, 12:00 AM
I might enter the thunderhill event in January. but i got a few questions. I have a auto and no lsd.

How much gas will i use?
how many tires will i burn?
What should i look out for, in other words how should i prepare?
and how do i keep my self relaxed?

Flybert
01-01-2004, 09:24 PM
Just fill up your gas tank before you go so that you have some weight to throw around in the back. It seems as though it will be very difficult for you to drift with an auto for the first time. You are going to have to do some hard core feints with a little e-brake to get that thing sideways. Make sure it's in second and when you are sideways, give it the throttle and start learning from there.

Burning tires depends on what you are going to be doing. If you are on a skidpad doing donuts all day you will wear through them very quickly, probably half way through the day or sooner. Since you are open-diff, if there is a skidpad, go counter-clockwise and clockwise equally so as to wear the tires evenly but don't stay on the skidpad too long.

Change your oil before you go and take a bunch of food and water.

GotDriftS14
01-03-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by DRFT
I might enter the thunderhill event in January. but i got a few questions. I have a auto and no lsd.

1) How much gas will i use?
2) how many tires will i burn?
3)What should i look out for, in other words how should i prepare?
4) and how do i keep my self relaxed?

1) i used just about 1 full tank in a day at t-hill.
2)my tires were still decent after the event, didnt have to use my spares. i didn't do much skidpad that day though, plus the skidpad was wet.
3) look out for turn 5, hehe. just get a good night's sleep the day before, drink water, and you'll be fine. oh and dont crash into stuff, haha.
4) well, i was nervous as hell when i started doing the first parade laps (since t-hill was also m first ever tracke vent), turn 5 is pretty intimidating, but after a few laps of runnign hard, you become relaxed and focused and most importantly you start to have fun. it should be a great experience, and you'll probably get addicted to track events hehe.

good luck and have fun!

nokeone
01-06-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by DRFT

How much gas will i use?
how many tires will i burn?
What should i look out for, in other words how should i prepare?
and how do i keep my self relaxed?

1- a tank, maybe
2- none..you have auto and no lsd...you'll be lucky to get sideways at all..
3- prepare to be dissapointed if you set your expectations too high..i don't know what else you have done to your car but if it's pretty stock i would run more for grip and just get a feel for the car...
4- staying relaxed will come with time..just focus on driving..you'll forget the nervousness..

honestly, open diff and auto are going to make it VERY difficult for a beginner to drift with any sort of consistency..learn e-brake immediately and use it alllll day mixed in with some feint...lift off and braking drifts will take too much skill...without the ability to clutch kick, shift lock, clutch dump, or anything associated with a manual all i can say is "good luck"..:D

TRUENOCOUPE
01-06-2004, 02:39 PM
Auto, No LSD, Drifting?

I say focus on Gripping.

Drifting is more of an art in driving and should really come to your later stage once you understand the basic of gripping ie DRIVING RIGHT AT THE TRACK. From what Im reading you have no idea.

Forget about drifting, Stick to gripping for now. Once you all understand gripping then you will know what to do next.

AH! What am I bothering telling you, You ain't gonna go anyways. Fruit.

revat619
01-08-2004, 09:14 AM
Well, I have tein he's, open diff and i'm auto too (5-speed coming soon though) and i easily got sideways at dd10. The hardest part is maintaing the drift because of the open diff. I didnt use the e-brake once that day either...just relied on weight transfer/feint.

However, if your suspension is completely stock then yeah, you're gonna have a helluva time trying to get that thing sideways. Godd luck though! :)