PDA

View Full Version : SR20 Flywheel Resurface

Torebaa
12-28-2011, 02:43 PM
What exactly should I tell my machinist when resurfacing my OEM S13 SR20 flywheel? I've searched around a bunch and there really isn't a definitive answer anywhere. Nissan Maxima? SE-R? Step the flywheel surface or no step?

Any help is appreciated.

codyace
12-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Tell them it's for a 1994 Nissan Se-R

Kingtal0n
12-28-2011, 05:36 PM
I would try to find a used one locally that looks good before resurfacing yours.
Also, the aftermarket lightweight flywheels are getting pretty cheap on Ebay now, you might just upgrade to a brand new lightweight unit instead.

codyace
12-28-2011, 06:10 PM
I would try to find a used one locally that looks good before resurfacing yours.
Also, the aftermarket lightweight flywheels are getting pretty cheap on Ebay now, you might just upgrade to a brand new lightweight unit instead.

I too would suggest a lightweight flywheel, but a normal resurface usually runs for 50$ or less? Why would you shy away from one? We get flywheels cut all the time...never an issue...and they haul 75,000 lbs up and down the east coast.

Banana_Cute
12-28-2011, 11:30 PM
I never had issues at clutchmasters in rialto,ca when i got my flywheel resurface for my SR. I just went in, took my flywheel, told em it needs resurfacing and came back an hr later. done.

Also, they offered to rebuilt my 6 puck clutch which i trashed already. I didnt know you can change the pads on those. next time. but yeahp.

Kingtal0n
12-29-2011, 02:58 PM
I too would suggest a lightweight flywheel, but a normal resurface usually runs for 50$ or less? Why would you shy away from one? We get flywheels cut all the time...never an issue...and they haul 75,000 lbs up and down the east coast.

For $165 shipped he can have a brand new lightweight flywheel
F1 RACE 15 LBS FLYWHEEL SILVIA S13 S14 240SX w/ SR20DET | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/F1-RACE-15-LBS-FLYWHEEL-SILVIA-S13-S14-240SX-w-SR20DET-/150515892057?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item230b723f59)

Resurfacing is not bad... but there is always a chance something goes wrong. I like to avoid potential problems whenever I can, especially in places that are annoying to get to, like the back of an engine in a car, or a journal bearing. Just personal preference I guess.
It doesnt help that there is a stack of SR20 flywheels in the shops around here. I guess I am just used to grabbing another used OEM part when one of mine fails.

Edwin562
12-29-2011, 03:10 PM
i just walk in and ask to get flywheel resurface, drop it off and hours later pick it up. simple, if they ask, tell them what codyace said. its off a Se-R.

codyace
12-29-2011, 04:55 PM
For $165 shipped he can have a brand new lightweight flywheel
F1 RACE 15 LBS FLYWHEEL SILVIA S13 S14 240SX w/ SR20DET | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/F1-RACE-15-LBS-FLYWHEEL-SILVIA-S13-S14-240SX-w-SR20DET-/150515892057?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item230b723f59)

Resurfacing is not bad... but there is always a chance something goes wrong. I like to avoid potential problems whenever I can, especially in places that are annoying to get to, like the back of an engine in a car, or a journal bearing. Just personal preference I guess.
It doesnt help that there is a stack of SR20 flywheels in the shops around here. I guess I am just used to grabbing another used OEM part when one of mine fails.

See from my perspective, I'd be apprehensive to utilize one of those ebay branded flywheels just due to my own fear of that thing being cheap and or wrong. I guess our fears are the same in the end though...blah I hate cars haha

Kingtal0n
12-31-2011, 02:10 AM
See from my perspective, I'd be apprehensive to utilize one of those ebay branded flywheels just due to my own fear of that thing being cheap and or wrong. I guess our fears are the same in the end though...blah I hate cars haha

I agree about ebay parts in general and I generally stick to OEM... however, in the case of a flywheel, a very dangerous part to have fail, you expect a certain level of attention to detail even in the "cheap" versions. I am not sure they could sell those parts if there was not truly a level of quality involved lest someone by now would have had one explode or fail dramatically. And you just dont hear about that, at least not yet.

I tell you though, the first time, it could be me or you or anyone. IMO, you are right to be apprehensive, OEM > anything if it fits the application for safety and reliability, of course.

cotbu
12-31-2011, 08:29 AM
I have that flywheel now, I installed after my exedy stage 2 died. My current setup is a bastardized setup. consisting of exedy pilot bearing, exedy throwout bearing, F1 Racing Chromoly flywheel, Act 6puck spung disc, with RPS max pressure plate. The RPS pressure plate was installed as a kit when I first swapped in the sr20. After having the flywheel resurfaced twice, I bought the flywheel from someone on ebay for 60 or 70 bucks. The only problem I noticed it had a slippery type of film on it that I scrubbed off with break cleaner. It hasn't given me any problems. I actually for got... I have 2 ebay shits on my car still my cat back exhaust and my f'ing flywheel! Damn you ebaaay!

Kingtal0n
12-31-2011, 09:07 AM
I have that flywheel now, I installed after my exedy stage 2 died. My current setup is a bastardized setup. consisting of exedy pilot bearing, exedy throwout bearing, F1 Racing Chromoly flywheel, Act 6puck spung disc, with RPS max pressure plate. The RPS pressure plate was installed as a kit when I first swapped in the sr20. After having the flywheel resurfaced twice, I bought the flywheel from someone on ebay for 60 or 70 bucks. The only problem I noticed it had a slippery type of film on it that I scrubbed off with break cleaner. It hasn't given me any problems. I actually for got... I have 2 ebay shits on my car still my cat back exhaust and my f'ing flywheel! Damn you ebaaay!

You mean you had the OEM flywheel resurfaced twice, then purchased the lightweight flywheel to replace it, right.?

That slippery film was probably a lubricant intended to keep the metal from oxidizing.

andrew600
12-31-2011, 10:24 AM
it doesnt matter what vehicle its on. its a flywheel. they will resurface it the same way they do all the other flywheels that come in. 50$ is a normal price.

cotbu
12-31-2011, 12:05 PM
You mean you had the OEM flywheel resurfaced twice, then purchased the lightweight flywheel to replace it, right.?

That slippery film was probably a lubricant intended to keep the metal from oxidizing.

Yeah! Sorry about that! And I figured that about the film, but it had to come off first! The pressure plate was approx. 3yrs old and I was mixing parts. I just didn't want any excuses for my setup not working!

My oem flywheel is still good, but I was making changes, small but changes none the less. I know they work well together that's for sure!