PDA

View Full Version : SE wheels/Z brakes and 5zigens/coilovers

srJOEYdet
12-28-2003, 02:56 PM
Hey guys,

I searched for an hour on zilvia, 240sxforums, and freshalloy. I never found anything about coilovers with this offset, or SE wheels clearing 30mm Z32 brakes. So help me out if you can.

I have a 1991 240sx. It has 30mm Iron 300ZX brakes. I also have the SE wheels (7 spoke) they are the design that has 3 ribs on the back of each spoke. I have no idea their measurements/offset. All I know is that they are 15s. I will need spacers to fit them on the front with my z brakes for sure, I tried it. All I need to know is if I need 5mm or 15mm. Also, do I need spacers to clear coilovers with SE wheels?

I also have 5zigen typhoons in 17x8 with +35 offset. I don't think they will clear coilovers without spacers, but they do clear my Z brakes. I need to know what spacers I will need for coilovers front and rear.

I like the H+R spacers, because they seem like less of a "mickey mouse" idea. I can only find them in 5, 15, 20, 25. So we should work with that. If I can, I want to only buy two pairs of spacers, so I can use my SE wheels with the brakes, and later use them on my 17s to clear coilovers. I don't need the Se wheels to clear coilovers right now.

Sorry for the long post.
Joey

HiPSI
12-28-2003, 03:37 PM
i run 7mm spacers on SE wheels and they clear, but barely. i don't think 5mm will cut it but i'm not sure of that.

edit: and my coilovers clear these wheels just fine too;)

FRpilot
12-29-2003, 03:01 AM
aren't the 5zigens clearing everything fine right now? i thought coilovers are slimmer than shock/spring combo so it should clear coilovers as well right? we need some insight..

black s13
12-29-2003, 10:30 AM
no, coilovers are not slimmer than springs/struts, in the front. look at the front suspension, the springs dont start till above the wheel, its really close in there just with stock wheels, and coilovers are thicker than just a strut body, where the tire is. im using 10mm spacers on my damn FWD offset wheels.

lbcklik1486
12-29-2003, 11:43 AM
Eh, wait for an easy answer, wait for Dousan, lol.

srJOEYdet
12-30-2003, 12:26 AM
dousan told me on 240sxforums to ask jspec i belive. But he did tell me that the stock SE wheels clear coilovers. so that is good. I will e-mail j-spec to find out what spacers I need for my 5zigens. And I will keep in mind I need 7mm or more for my SE wheels. Thanks guys.

PS: hipsi, do have 26mm brakes or 30mm brakes?

SHINCHU
12-30-2003, 01:02 AM
i dont think stock SE wheels will clear coilovers. like black s13 said, the spring perch on coilovers is much lower than stock, so the spring is actually NEXT TO the tire instead of above it. i have 16x7 ssr's with +30 offset plus 7mm spacer and im not sure i can clear coilovers with them. i have a set of springs very similar to ground controls and i havent put them on yet due to financial difficulties and time constraints of owning to busted-ass drift machines. lol so when i get to it i will know for sure if i can clear coilovers with the +30 and 7mm spacer. sorry i have stock s13 brakes so i dont know if they clear z brakes but im sure it will if you have your typhoons the same offset as my SSR's. IMO if you run the 10mm spacer from H&R with your typhoons you should be okay.