PDA

View Full Version : RPMs reaching almost 0 while driving, down shifting ????

badass8
12-13-2011, 09:49 PM
So there is 2 problems with my car...recently I have had some electrical issues with my car... i know the worst to have. To try to solve that problem I have gotten my alternator and starter rebuilt with a new ignition chip.

First Issue: While I am driving say in 4th gear going about 60 per say and I go to neutral or stop kinda fast to get into 2nd my RPMs go almost to 0. They get very low, even times where my lights start to flicker like its going to turn off (which it has before, but started 3 seconds later again). Or sometimes it gets really low and then pick itself up again... not sure why...

Second Issue: After I got my alternator/starter rebuilt the next day my car sat over night with no lights turned on what so ever, go to turn on my car doesn't start at all.. get it jumped thinking maybe the battery was dead.. drive it around for awhile to get it charged up.. go to work for an 8hour shift.. go to start it DEAD again. so same thing jumped..etc etc.. So for the last couple weeks I have actually been disconnecting my battery cables from my battery because SOMETHING is draining my battery and I'm not sure what...

any suggestions would help a lot
I know its a lot but thanks for reading!

OoAtreyuloO
12-14-2011, 10:37 PM
same issue here ive been trying to figure it out if you find out let me know

rwtf
12-14-2011, 10:56 PM
same thing for me mate.

screaming6
12-14-2011, 11:16 PM
if at a light is the idle fine does it bog or drop?

could be due to the same battery issue....maybe low voltage check and/or add a ground????

my car drops down when neutral and slowing down and even sometimes dies, but I have a lightened flywheel and pulley and electric fans, so I have an explanation. Try raising ur idle if its low

Xplat
12-14-2011, 11:16 PM
To see what is drawing current and killing your battery do the following.

grab a test light, go to your fuses and pull one. Insert test light in socket. If it lights up theres a short to ground in that circuit. Repeat for all fuses. Lemme know how this goes.

I dunno about your idle problem. Check your ecu for codes to hopefully get pointed in right direction.

Numbers
12-15-2011, 10:12 PM
vaccum leak, or clean your iacv.

killer skittle
12-15-2011, 10:52 PM
My sr did the same thing...problem was open atmosphere bov. It would idle out from a high rev if I didn't catch it

conrad_s13.5
12-16-2011, 07:33 AM
^ this is usually the case for the first problem,. pretty normal as not many people recir there shit.
safc's have a setting just for this,.

second problem,..could maybe be related to your previous electrical problem..?
what was that?

-im assuming the alt is fine cuz you said you had it rebuilt,. but problems sound about spot on to a bad alt

mine did something similar for a bit, but once i actually dug into it, it was just the ground off the battery wasnt always making a great connection.

badass8
12-22-2011, 06:29 PM
sorry been on vacation with no freaking internet...

I have just decided to take out my HIDS and such and buy a smaller battery and put it in my engine bay where it should go... tired of running current all the way to my trunk from a SUB cable..

As for the revs dropping I have realized that my bolts connecting my manifold and my turbo are actually lose... creating a vibration sound and i assume a leak...

plan to do that ASAP ill try to keep you guys updated... a lot of work but hey its a project

badass8
12-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Also as for the battery issue, i tried leaving my battery cables plugged into my battery to see if it would hold up over night. And sure enough the battery was fine started right up. However sometimes it doesn't connect and i crank the key to turn it on and it doesn't start... no noise or anything but if I wait say 15seconds and I crank it again itll start right up. In other words i assume the battery just needed to be recharged for not having power for awhile when the starter and alternator were getting rebuilt