PDA

View Full Version : Buying a high mileage 240

CHASE86
12-24-2003, 12:49 PM
I am 95% sure im buying this 1993 240sx coupe 5spd with a sunroof with a sr20det redtop in it. The car has 190,000+ miles on it and the motor has 20,000. The car looks in great shape. I carfaxed it and it was clean. What should I look for when I go see and drive it?

Thanks,
Chase

thelinja
12-24-2003, 01:28 PM
Well, the main thing I would look for is rust. Remember, the car has 190k miles on the chassis and will have some wear and tear on it. I'd also take it for a test drive to see how the motor runs. Check for boost leaks, oil leaks, coolant leaks, etc. I'd ask how long ago the motor was installed and who installed it. If a shop did it, I'd call the shop and talk to them about the car. I'd research also to see if the shop is reputable.

CHASE86
12-25-2003, 12:19 AM
The car had the motor put in at 196,000 miles and it has 197,000 miles on it now. It was put in by Epik Motorsports. I am getting a good deal on the car. The person who is selling it has answered every question I have ever asked him. He is selling it because he is a DJ and needs a SUV to move his equipment.

Here is a link to the car.
http://www.epikmotorsports.com/sitehome/s13_coupe_page.html

Mr. Spool
12-25-2003, 12:28 AM
Seems kinda odd that he would put 3500+ into the car and then sell it only 1k latter. I would deffinitly be a little weary and check over the engine with a fine tooth comb. I would guesse that the body and drive train should be in good order or else he would have dropped all that money into that first. You would think that he would have thought of the need for the suv last month when he dropped it off and had it swapped in. just my 2 cents

thelinja
12-25-2003, 08:40 AM
Maybe he just wants to sell the car quickly. Who knows. I'd take those window stickers off though, they don't fit well at allll.

CHASE86
12-25-2003, 12:25 PM
Yeah I am just worried about the high mileage of the car and how the suspension parts will be worn out. I could have up to $2,000 just to get the suspension in good working order. Then again that would be replacing all the stock parts with high quality after market parts.

Phlip
12-25-2003, 02:35 PM
I if the chassis has 190k+ and the engine has been swapped (I don't believe that 20k shit personally) the only things I would worry about if I were you would be body and suspension. Make sure that there is no rust or other form of decay and then check the suspension to make sure the springs aren't worn to shit and that the shocks aren't blown... I don't know how much they want for the car, but this could prove to be a really good deal. I will tell you now that if Epik did all the work on the car, then you have a STELLAR piece of work, look at the volkswagen GTI over in off topic for proof of this, and then there's Jeff from Epik with the V-Mount intercooler setup that quite honestly gives me wood... They were at the dragstrip about 3 weeks ago and were with a guy that in an SW 20MR2 turbo running CONSISTENT mid-12s, so I will vouch for their work...

CHASE86
12-26-2003, 12:16 AM
Well the owner of the car is a member his name is 240silvia.

silversube7107
10-25-2006, 12:00 PM
i plan on getting a 240 soon and am looking at a high mileage one. If i plan on swapping the moter, new bushings,coilovers and repaint as soon as i get the car should i worry about the miles on the car if it has little rust? thanks

silverarrow27
10-25-2006, 12:16 PM
High mileage cars are underestimated and are one of the cleanest to tell you the truth. I've seen much nicer cars with high mileage than low mileage ones. And if you're getting a high mileage sports car, you're most likely going to end up replacing all suspension parts anyway. If shocks and springs are dead then use that as a bargain as it needs immediate attention...everything else will need time and money.

I've seen so many people pass through Zilvia, NICO, and Freshalloy with their new sr, rb, ca, or ka swap so it doesn't bother me if he decides to change his mind after the swap. Look for rust and do a carfax report on it if you're worried.

ranisron
10-25-2006, 12:30 PM
Check for RUST under fenderwell, frame rails, rear hatch (if it's a fastback).

See if the interior smells funny - may be there's rust inside from odd reasons...

Test drive the car - COLD --> since it would possibly reveal problems with the engine, tranny, etc.

ManoNegra
10-25-2006, 02:51 PM
Complaining about high mileage when looking at any 240 is an oxymoron.

HalveBlue
10-25-2006, 03:11 PM
^^ No kidding.

When you're buying a car that's at least 12 years old with that many miles on the chassis you're gonna have some problems.

Your suspension will be crap. And I'm sure the body will have more than its fair share of scars.

Besides half the fun of owning a 240 is working on it.

Just make sure you have realistic goals and timelines. Ask yourself, is this car going to be my daily driver? Can I afford downtime if something brakes on the car? Do I have the resources to make the car run right?

silversube7107
10-25-2006, 09:49 PM
i am just wondering about the strenghth of the car i know i am gonna have to have to work on it thats no problem and i have about 3 other cars i can drive if i have to i just want to make it my daily driver but also a track car

Wei240
10-25-2006, 10:09 PM
nothing wrong with high mileage cars, mine has 200k and looks better than alot of s13's out there

strength of the car, wouldn't matter, you're gonna put in roll cage, fender brace, power brace and any other chassis stiffening goodies,
solid

(just take care of the rust, but if it's very very very very rusty, i'd look for another)

silversube7107
10-25-2006, 10:19 PM
yeah ok thats what i was wanting to know im trying to find one without any rust i just wasnt shure how bad miles where on the chasis thanks

ranisron
10-25-2006, 11:25 PM
I remember one of the members here on zilvia said :

Rust is cancer to cars.... So... be careful with that.