PDA

View Full Version : Q45 brakes

TheSparo
12-23-2003, 04:18 PM
how beneficial are they, ive searched already, but didnt really get a clear answer if there were any detriments to getting the Q45 front brakes on an s13...? anybody have them? i know they're a direct bolt-on and all..

s15dude
12-23-2003, 06:25 PM
[email protected] has them on his S14, and considering the Q45 was a huge heavy car they brakes prolly work good on a light s13, goodluck!!

Chew Slice
12-23-2003, 07:11 PM
the Q45 brakes are a 2 piston caliper (i think) as opposed to the shitty 1 piston on the stock 240 brakes so they'll have more bite.

240Stilo
12-23-2003, 10:54 PM
Phase2Motortrend.com is selling the q45 kit right now and this is what they had to say about it....

"Traditionally most people went with the Z32 brake route because it's easier to find in junk yards and more popular approach. However, most people with the Z32 brakes generally agrees that the Z brakes tends to act like an on/off switch where when one heavily press the brake pedal, front wheels gets locked up too quick.

The Q45 brake calipers selected by Nismo tends to avoid this type of problem, gives user a more definite feel of brake pedal feel where the driver has the ability to modulate the brake pedal to slow down the car without chances of locking up the front wheels too fast."

You can probably piece together your own q45 kit for a little cheaper but your bigest problem would probably be finding someone to redrill rotors to 4 lug. I found the rotors and calipers at a part store for $230 upfront ($170 after I brought them back my calipers as core charge) and depending on the pads you buy it might be around $60 more. THEN!, if you want to go all out you can get some Stainles Steel lines all around and get some better brake fluid. Of course it costs a little over $100 more.

As for performance value, MAN do they ever help. I might have mentioned it before but the only thing hindering my stopping power now are my tires. Yes, you can lock up the tires, but you can also finesse the brakes to control a steady stop. Very good investment in my book.

Zoom8112
12-24-2003, 04:47 AM
Traditionally most people went with the Z32 brake route because it's easier to find in junk yards and more popular approach. However, most people with the Z32 brakes generally agrees that the Z brakes tends to act like an on/off switch where when one heavily press the brake pedal, front wheels gets locked up too quick.

how true is this though? can anyone confirm??

HaLo
12-24-2003, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by 240Stilo

As for performance value, MAN do they ever help. I might have mentioned it before but the only thing hindering my stopping power now are my tires. Yes, you can lock up the tires, but you can also finesse the brakes to control a steady stop. Very good investment in my book.

Did you change the master cylinder and the rear brakes?

Do you have ABS?

Warwick5s
12-24-2003, 12:52 PM
if you're looking for 4 bolt q45 rotors, fastbrakes.com sells them new, slotted and crossdrilled for $95 a piece.

s15dude
12-24-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Zoom8112
how true is this though? can anyone confirm??

I have no problem lockin up my z brakes on my s14, the pedal feels soft when u first press it, then when all of a sudden there is mad braking power, it doesnt take much to lock them up, I wish they had more "feel" to them, oh well, I did lock them up on the freeway while doing 80 mph, now I have some nice flat spots on my front tires that make a noise constantly

240Stilo
12-24-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by HaLo
Did you change the master cylinder and the rear brakes?

Do you have ABS?

No I didn't change the master cylinder and I also did not change the rear brakes. The complete list of everything I bought was:

Q45 front rotors and calipers
Russel SS brake lines
Motul 5.1 brake fluid

All this was a little over $300 after I got my core deposit back. I knew someone with access to a drill press so I got the rotors redrilled for free. I did find a place that would redrill the rotors also but they were charging $70, which was more than I paid for the rotors themselves.

No ABS on my 240.

pSY trek
12-25-2003, 01:35 AM
How's the brake balance? Do the Q45 fronts overpower the stock rear brakes?

-Stanley

240Stilo
12-25-2003, 02:50 AM
No it doesn't. Like I mentioned before...it really leaves it up to you whether you want to lock up the wheels by stomping out the brake pedal OR coming to a steady stop as usual. Pedal feel is exactly like stock if not a little firmer with the SS lines but overall you might not notice the difference in pedal feel, only stopping power.

andrave
12-25-2003, 10:26 AM
you guys know that a good braking system doesn't lock up, right?
its a bad thing...

240Stilo
12-25-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by andrave
its a bad thing...

Just in case...for those that don't know, the best way to brake would be at the limit between where your tire still has traction to stop the car and where the tires brake loose and skid. If you're skidding you're not stopping optimally.

I just mention that you can lock up the brakes just to show they do have power.

BuudWeizErr
12-25-2003, 06:12 PM
I have 30mm aluminum z32 fronts with stock rears, metal pads all around, stainless lines all around, motul 5.1 fluid, 5 lug conversion, speed bleeders and 1" Z32 M/C.

I have yet to lock up my front tires, even under very hard braking at the Willow Springs big track. And I only have 205mm R compounds up front too. Dunno.

240Stilo
12-26-2003, 12:32 AM
Those tires have more grip and are less likely to break loose than regular street tires, that's why you probably haven't been able to lock them up.

BuudWeizErr
12-26-2003, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by 240Stilo
Those tires have more grip and are less likely to break loose than regular street tires, that's why you probably haven't been able to lock them up.

Yes, but don't most people who are in the market for brake upgrades already running R compound tires? I mean, I would hate to see someone running around with engine and suspension upgrades all over and then some 195/60/15 Conti's or something.

240Stilo
12-26-2003, 03:06 AM
No, not everyone upgrades tires and especially not to R compound tires (for everyday use that is). R compound tires are recomended for track use only, but for everyday use (street tires) that's where locking up tires becomes our issue.

HaLo
12-26-2003, 08:34 AM
ACtually, I got the upgrade for track usage. I don't want my brake balance to be all f*cked up. I will be running some R compounds on the track.

What pads are you running on the Q45 upgrade? I'm thinking about EBC greenstuff...

240Stilo
12-26-2003, 08:39 PM
Since I have yet to get myself to an auto-x event, I just use Raybestos ceramic brakes. They're good for what I do, which is just spirited driving on open highways.

Zemus
12-27-2003, 06:40 AM
So what kind of clearnance issues with wheels, will it fit under stock wheels? What offset is need? Is it more like stock brake clearnance or 4 piston?

ka24ets13
01-20-2004, 01:17 PM
so the front brakes are a direct bolt on for the Q45 to the s13 and will fit under the wheels right?

also, are the rear brakes a direct bolt up and also do they fit under the stock wheels?

thanks

DSC
01-20-2004, 01:31 PM
its a bad thing...

I disagree :)
If a brake system can't lock up the tires then chances are it is not capable of braking at the limit of your tires. F1 brakes lock :) But they have the control (most of the time) to not lock them up and brake at the limit.

I wouldn't have confidence in a brake setup that couldn't lock the tires or engage ABS if you're so equipped.

the240sxer95
01-20-2004, 01:39 PM
do you guys perfer abs or non abs? and why? just curious :)

DSC
01-20-2004, 01:41 PM
ABS cauz I can't drive :)
Will be learning non-ABS braking at tracks across the east coast this summer :) look out

mixxamike
01-20-2004, 04:37 PM
Do q45 brakes bolt directly to the s14? and what type of SS line do you need? Also, aside from not locking up...are the q45 brakes better than z32 or worse (some specs would be nice)?

Oh...one more thing, is it a good idea to get q45 rear brakes to compliment the fronts?

mellojoe
01-20-2004, 05:29 PM
Ok. Now, I know with the 300zx brakes, you need to get special stainless brake lines. The fitting to the caliper is different than stock 240sx brakes.

Do the Q45 take the same brake lines?

i've got stainless on all 4-corners of my s14, and I'd LOVE to not have to replace them to get bigger brakes.

thx247
01-20-2004, 05:40 PM
If you are not locking the brakes up you either need to get some better pads or learn to brake harder.

mrmephistopheles
01-20-2004, 06:13 PM
mello: Q brakes utilize banjo fittings, so your stainless lines should be just fine.

Redtop_240
01-20-2004, 06:32 PM
Still no-one has givin us an offset.....Will it fit under stock wheels?

And this is gonna sound stupid but are the Q45's allready 5 lug? I know most Nissan trucks are 6 lug so I was just wondering......

-Jeff

240Stilo
01-20-2004, 07:32 PM
Oh...one more thing, is it a good idea to get q45 rear brakes to compliment the fronts?

You'll be fine just using the q45 front brakes. Using the q45 rear brakes will make the pedal mushy and you'll want to upgrade the MC.

Still no-one has givin us an offset.....Will it fit under stock wheels?

And this is gonna sound stupid but are the Q45's allready 5 lug? I know most Nissan trucks are 6 lug so I was just wondering......

-Jeff
Tonight I will PROBABLY check the clearance issue. I will try to use the spare wheel since I no longer have the stock wheels.

The q45 rotors are 5 lug so unless your 240 is 5 lug you will have to redrill to the 4 lug pattern.

Redtop_240
01-20-2004, 09:32 PM
You'll be fine just using the q45 front brakes. Using the q45 rear brakes will make the pedal mushy and you'll want to upgrade the MC.

Tonight I will PROBABLY check the clearance issue. I will try to use the spare wheel since I no longer have the stock wheels.

The q45 rotors are 5 lug so unless your 240 is 5 lug you will have to redrill to the 4 lug pattern.

Cool less work for me.......( I love allready having the 5 lug setup)

-Jeff

mellojoe
01-21-2004, 03:26 PM
What years Q45? The q45 came in just about every year of Infiniti.

240Stilo
01-21-2004, 09:02 PM
Cool less work for me.......( I love allready having the 5 lug setup)

-Jeff

:fawk2: :D j/k....or am I? HahaHhaHaha

Alright I strapped on the spare wheel and I didn't notice any clearance issues. So now I'm 98% sure that stock wheels will work, given that I'm never 100% sure about anything.

As for what year q45 I would just stick with 95. It worked for me and it will work for you. But, if you search I think anything before 97 q45 will work.

mixxamike
01-21-2004, 10:25 PM
are these 4 piston brakes? and are the calipers and rotors similar in size to the z32? Actually, if someone could tell me the size of the rotors, it would be great!

AceInHole
01-21-2004, 11:55 PM
1. Q45's come with 15's stock. The calipers will also fit behind steelies. As for offset, Kookz had Altima wheels on his car previously, with that ridiculous FWD offset. They cleared his Q45 fronts just fine.

2. Doing a full Q45 brakeswap is possible for 250 - 300 if you can find the junkyards. If anyone needs Q45 calipers let me know. I'm pretty sure there's still a bunch near here.

3. Definitely upgrade the MC if you go with a full front and rear swap. I'm running a 17/16" MC right now, but it's definitely overkill. a 1" would probably be better, and even a 15/16" might do. Using the 17/16" MC, my brake bias is VERY neutral. The car rotates very well under heavy braking. The difference between my car and my friend's car with only z32 fronts upgraded was very noticeable. His fronts would lock up too easily to go into corners as deep as my car could.

4. You can redrill the rotors by hand if you're brave. I did and was fine autocrossing like that (although I've since swapped to 5 lug).

AceInHole
01-21-2004, 11:59 PM
are these 4 piston brakes? and are the calipers and rotors similar in size to the z32? Actually, if someone could tell me the size of the rotors, it would be great!

the fronts are 2 piston. rears are single piston. all are floating caliper.

IIRC, it's 11" front, 11.4" rear (might be 11.6 but i forget). Fronts are 28mm from what I've read. I'd assume you could use 30mm z calipers with those rotors, or 26mm z rotors with Q calipers, as long as all the rotor hat offsets are similar.

240Stilo
01-22-2004, 12:40 AM
The rotors I got are 26mm. That's what the parts store gave me as q45 rotors so that's what I used. The reason I say this is because it's been said q45 uses 28mm rotors.

ACE- Why did you have to upgrade MC if the rear calipers are also single piston? Bigger piston or something?

AceInHole
01-22-2004, 10:44 AM
it seems as though the rears have a larger piston. it might just be that with no e-brake mechanism in the caliper, there's a larger active piston head area (which would require more fluid per piston travel). we bled Kookz' brakes for a couple hours and his drive home was still very mushy.

mrmephistopheles
01-22-2004, 11:21 AM
What years Q45? The q45 came in just about every year of Infiniti.

:eek3d: 90-96 :eek3d:

mixxamike
01-22-2004, 01:27 PM
so the z32 brakes would most likely be better than the q45 brakes? (4 piston compared to 2 piston, 30mm compard to 26mm) i dunno, maybe i'm wrong...just a guess.

What are the differences in diameter of the z and q brakes?

Peace,
-Mike

DSC
01-22-2004, 04:30 PM
Oh, the Z brakes are definitely better...
But some people find them SOO good they can't controll it...the feel is gone. Which IIRC is also a characteristic of the z style caliper (what are they called again?) vs Q45 or 240sx floating calipers.
Clearance with a floating caliper will be much better than a 300zx style also.

So, to some the q brakes may be "better" overall even though they don't have the same power as Z brakes.

The only question I'd really have about them is how good is the pad selection for a brake setup that came on a luxury car...

Edit: anybody ever use a dual MC setup on their car?

s15dude
01-22-2004, 06:06 PM
Also, another brake swap i recently learned about was putting altima brakes on 240sx's, the front rotors are about 1.5"'s bigger and the calipers are much bigger, it is a single piston floating caliper, so might not be as good as Q45 brakes, but definately better than stock, also, Infiniti J30's used the same brakes as Q45 I think, so if you goto the junkyard, there should be a wide range of cars to look for to rob brakes from.

mellojoe
01-22-2004, 10:08 PM
I've got the 5-lug going for me, too.

I was just about to go scavenge for some z-calipers when I came across this thread. THis is perfect for me. I've got my daily driver that sees the 1/4mile track occasionally, but has YET to see the twisty-course. Even after I go auto-x'ing, it will still only be sporatically and never very intensely.

So, while lying out my suspenion, brakes were on my mind. Bigger rotors, bigger calipers, bigger pads, and I can even get a 2 piston (I know its not the 4-piston grabber of the z), and I don't have to shell out ANOTHER $100 for ANOTHER set of stainless brake lines. :) That makes me glad. Sure, its a little thing, but it counts, right?

Anubis
01-22-2004, 11:41 PM
so lets recap here, 90-96 Q45 front calipers bolt on to an s14 and use the stock Q45 rotor(for 5 lug) and a re-drilled stock rotor(for 4 lug). And if your just swapping the front brakes, there is no need to change the master cylinder? correct?

mrmephistopheles
01-22-2004, 11:51 PM
correct. if anything, adjust the actuator rod in the booster.

rco8786
01-27-2004, 09:17 AM
Offset has 0 to do with brake clearance...it's all in the wheel design. My guess is that steelies will not, and the SE wheels may but it will be very close.

From what I know, the Q brakes are similar to the Z, but the rotors are a tad smaller and I think the Qs are 2 piston and Zs are 4. correct me if I'm wrong.

brianglawson
01-27-2004, 09:43 AM
um i think they said earilier that steeles will fit man....they have pretty easy wheel clearence, this is a great upgrade for people wanting to stick with old skool wheels i would say

Ghettokracker71
01-27-2004, 01:01 PM
Okay....I am confused to bare with me...

I like my 4 lug,and am sticking with it,if it will clear steelies it will definitely clear my wheels...

I also have a really stupid question...

The z32 brakes say "NISSAN" on them...do the Infiniti ones have the symbal or say Infiniti on them?

Just wondering

HaLo
01-27-2004, 01:26 PM
Okay....I am confused to bare with me...

I like my 4 lug,and am sticking with it,if it will clear steelies it will definitely clear my wheels...

I also have a really stupid question...

The z32 brakes say "NISSAN" on them...do the Infiniti ones have the symbal or say Infiniti on them?

Just wondering

No. They don't even look alike. they look more like an oversize stock 240sx caliper

mellojoe
01-27-2004, 07:03 PM
And the 300zx rotors are the exact same size as the q45 rotors, fronts are both 11"

There ya go.

HaLo
01-29-2004, 10:13 AM
:eek3d: 90-96 :eek3d:

What's the major difference with the next generation Q45 brakes?

97+ have much more options for brake pads...

Ghettokracker71
01-29-2004, 02:46 PM
And the 300zx rotors are the exact same size as the q45 rotors, fronts are both 11"

There ya go.
Caliper size? From what I understand they clear alot more wheels than the 300zx brakes....and price would be another concern

philbro
01-29-2004, 02:56 PM
the calipers are a lot smaller on the q45, from what i understand they will fit under all stock wheels. And the rotors are both 11in but the z32 calipers a like 3 or 4 mm thinker than the q45

Ghettokracker71
01-29-2004, 03:10 PM
the calipers are a lot smaller on the q45, from what i understand they will fit under all stock wheels. And the rotors are both 11in but the z32 calipers a like 3 or 4 mm thinker than the q45
Well then I know it'll clear my +40 offset ....hah hah