PDA

View Full Version : clutch not working after 15 minutes of driving

Silvia180SX
12-22-2003, 05:49 PM
I have a 91 240sx and I dropped the trans and reinstalled the clutch not too long ago. First I didn't torque down the master cylinder bolts hard enouph so the clutch got magma hot then started to quit. I torqued them down and now the clutch works fine for about 15 minutes, then starts to slip. Time for a new clutch or did I do something wrong when installing the clutch?

Evil S14
12-22-2003, 05:56 PM
why would you take your master cyl off when switching the clutch in the first place?

mrmephistopheles
12-22-2003, 06:24 PM
maybe he's referring to the slave cyl?
either way, kinda sounds like master or slave is weak and in need of replacement

Var
12-22-2003, 09:11 PM
A brand new clutch is very brittle and can easily be burned out in the first few minutes of driving especially if it got magma hot. drop the tranny and make sure your disc isnt toast. The slave cylinder will not make the clutch slip because the hydraulic pressure it produces is only to pull the clutch away from the flywheel. Even if the slave had no fluid in it the clutch should grab but you wouldnt be able to shift.

Tubed4evr
12-23-2003, 08:11 AM
Check to make sure there is enough freeplay in the pedal. If there is little to no freeplay the clutch is slightly disengaged and slips easily. This happened to me when I got a new clutch.

Ryan

zombieman
12-23-2003, 12:57 PM
either it's freeplay or you just happen to get oil on the disc...only if the disc isn't toasted.....