PDA

View Full Version : Weird Rear caliper and e-brake question

twitchy
12-21-2003, 07:27 PM
Well...my rear calipers were sticking (or one of them anyhow)

and i had the calipers and pads changed on the back of my car. The mechanic told me that until I got a new parking brake, pulling the lever would cause the same caliper(s) to stick / sieze up again. I was in a rush to leave so i didnt really ask why or how. Well i went all week without habitually using the parking brake like I always do. This morning I left to drive 8 hours away with my family and my brother decided to pull my car into the garage for me. He never drives it whatsoever but decided to since there were 6 inches of fresh snow on the driveway and he wanted to spin my tires or something. Hes 17. Anyhow he yanked the parking brake and i found out and lost it. I just paid $500 to have them fixed and now the brakes stick like they did before.

anyone have an idea why this would happen....and why changing the parking brake cable would help this out?

I already lost my car for 3 days this week and now I Have to go back home and take it in again.

I HATE XMAS!

andrave
12-21-2003, 08:51 PM
wouldn't happen to be that pesky pass. side rear caliper now would it?

Chernobyl
12-21-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by twitchy
I just paid $500 to have them fixed and now the brakes stick like they did before.

If this is the case, they really didn't fix shit now did they? Take it back. Better yet, take a look at the calipers yourself... they really aren't all that complicated to work with.

s0ldats
12-21-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Chernobyl
If this is the case, they really didn't fix shit now did they? Take it back. Better yet, take a look at the calipers yourself... they really aren't all that complicated to work with.

word.

twitchy
12-22-2003, 09:45 AM
no its the driver side rear caliper

i cant just take it back cause im 8 hours away from home now and I need someone with knowledge on this topic to help me out.

$500 was

2 new (not rebuilt, new) calipers at cost
set of premium pads
2 hours labor

id have dont it myself but it was 20 below that day

I know how the rear calipers work with the parking brake and so on, Ive taken them off myself before when it was warm. But I cant imagine why its doing this now!

Dousan_PG
12-22-2003, 09:50 AM
500 dollars! that's a new paint job almost!

definately take it back, dont mess with it. give the business hell UNTIL ITS FIXED and working 100% perfect
you should NOT be paying another penny out of your pocket.

why did your bro yank the ebrake to spin the tires..its not a FF car hahahaha

s0ldats
12-22-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Dousan_PG
500 dollars! that's a new paint job almost!

definately take it back, dont mess with it. give the business hell UNTIL ITS FIXED and working 100% perfect
you should NOT be paying another penny out of your pocket.

why did your bro yank the ebrake to spin the tires..its not a FF car hahahaha

maybe we've been lied to all our lives!!! GAAHHH!!!! :D :D :eek:

Flybert
12-22-2003, 12:04 PM
You have to remember that the Canadian dollar isn't exactly an American dollar.

Dousan_PG
12-22-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Flybert
You have to remember that the Canadian dollar isn't exactly an American dollar.

yes i know
500 CAD is about 375 USD
still WAY TOO MUCH

Tubed4evr
12-22-2003, 12:57 PM
I think this thread is getting a little off topic and not helping him much. The question was what is causing the the caliper stick and how is it related to the parking brake. The only thing I can think of is that the parking brake mechanism at the caliper is getting stuck or jammed up somehow. Whether its a surface that isn't greased properly (and maybe has frozen with the extreme cold) or maybe a spring the has worn out or been damaged. I'm no expert on the rear calipers, but I just wanted to give a few ideas and maybe steer this thread in a direction that may yield some useful info. Good Luck

Ryan

s0ldats
12-22-2003, 11:29 PM
in earlier 1st gen mr2s the ebrake has been known to freeze up due to cold weather... so check it?

mbmbmb23
12-23-2003, 12:06 PM
The mechanism that allows your ebrake to engage and dis-engage attached on your caliper is called (according to the FSM) a "cam" (looks like a long sealed bearing with a thread sticking out of it)...that needs to be greased. This could be seizing up. This peice fits into the caliper housing right behind the part containing the caliper piston.

There is a spring that provides resistance to this "cam", FSM calls it a "return spring" (93 FSM, Page BR14+15). The spring could be broken and not allowing the ebrake to dis-engage.

I apologize I cannot scan my FSM page, my scanner isnt working right. If anyone else has a scanner and FSM, please scan the pages listed above.

My advice, goto a junkyard and offer the guy $30 for the caliper off another car and swap it on there using the pads off your old caliper.

-m

twitchy
12-23-2003, 04:34 PM
thanks for the replies..

the $500 Canadian is 2 hours labor and BRAND NEW calipers and pads in the back..This is why I dont know why and how they are stuck!

andrave
12-23-2003, 05:53 PM
could have fucked you over and just bead blasted the old ones and put em back, you never know.
I need to check mine, my pass. side rear is sticking, but I think its the E brake, its cockeyed under the car so that it only locks one rear tire up first off, and then once you fully yank it it locks up both.
sucks.
:-(