PDA

View Full Version : SR20DET - Gas in Oil =\. Bad injector? Clicking?

Nicelyphe
12-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Alright well, lets begin.

S13 Sr20 Blacktop

Stock set-up
HKS Exhaust
HKS BOV
Front Mount

I recently purchased a TurboXS Manual controller off a buddy of mine, used it for about 3 days, and I'm not a fan so I took it off. During these few days of using it, I would get real harsh gas smell in the cab, like as if your sniffing the pump itself..So i removed it, smelled the oil out of curiosity and it has the gassy smell. Fun Fun, well I then changed the oil cause that's just the right thing to do. About a week since the oil change I'm now getting a weird ticking noise, kinda sounds like a lifter would, but more of a high pitched tick. Mind you, this tick is only real noticeable if your listening from inside the cab..When your under the hood all you hear is loud injectors clicking. This ticking only ticks at idle, mostly when at operating temp from what Ive noticed, and once you give it a bit of throttle, or get on the throttle, you no longer hear it, until the vehicle goes back down to idle.

Is this possibly the noise of an injector going bad and the sound just traveling into the cab from under the hood? Could this be something up in the head? I put a screw driver against the top end to try and hear something but I don't hear a thing under the valve cover, but injector in Cyl 3 is pretty noisy..Could this be the case? I also believe gas maybe getting into the crank case yet..

OHM tested, They're all steady 10.7, besides Cyl 3 10.8.

anarchyperf
12-03-2011, 04:33 PM
pull your fuel rail and injectors from intake manifold. See if gas is coming out when you turn the key on while the fuel pump is priming. If it's sprays its a stuck injector or faulty wiring. If it sprays unplug the wires going to injector to confirm weather it's injector or wiring. If it looks like it's just leaking you have a leaking o-ring.

Nicelyphe
12-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Sounds good I'll be looking into that tomorrow for sure. Hopefully it's just an o-ring. Could the use of the boost controller have caused this issue by chance?

Also, it runs well, and on point, just that gas is getting into the oil and such. Wouldn't a bad o-ring cause it to perform poorly?

mr.man.performance
12-04-2011, 01:38 PM
Depends how bad the leak. In a lot of cases, particularly in rich conditions, the loss of response or power is negligible even with the combustion not being as complete as it should be.

xPUNlSH3Rx
03-16-2012, 07:54 PM
I don't know if you have solved this but the guy below had a very similar case where he would have fuel in the oil. It was the PCV valve being stuck open

http://zilvia.net/f/engine-tech/277213-sr20-fuel-injector-o-ring.html