PDA

View Full Version : RB or SR in 240sx

silvias13_180sx
12-20-2003, 04:52 PM
which do you prefer?

Baka Sama
01-12-2004, 10:50 AM
KA... Speed insnt everything... Plus the 2,000+ you speed could be put toward buying tires an brake pads ;)

driftz240sx
01-21-2004, 06:20 PM
i'd take the RB over SR just because it has more potential for power. Then again i do like autocrossing and i dunno how the RB would affect the handling.

GrimDrifter
01-24-2004, 10:37 PM
i want to do both swap in the near future! a 180 and a sil80, hotness!

Ghettokracker71
02-23-2004, 09:58 AM
RB=best motor ever:rawk:

rps13 SR
03-02-2004, 06:13 AM
i want to do both swap in the near future! a 180 and a sil80, hotness!

what does 180 and sil80 have to to with rb vs sr??

shnitz
03-02-2004, 07:51 AM
ah, ill let you guys blow your money on these, just so that i can buy up your spare engines and parts :) but between those 2, i honestly don't think that the sr was engineered well, why would you go through the trouble of making it dohc if you are going to keep the rocker arms? rb is obviously a superior design, but have fun sourciing replacement parts for it, i hope that it isn't your daily driver

Zed
03-02-2004, 11:08 AM
RB all the way turns the 240SX into a mini skyline plus I love Inline 6 cyl

christopher
03-02-2004, 05:50 PM
An SR is cheaper and right now, is easier to find aftermarket parts for without importing. That is obviously changing.

Face facts, not many (none) of us will ever build either motor to its full potential. So why go RB for that reason. Most of us are not that rich.

thaiger77
03-03-2004, 12:40 AM
What all do you need to do a swap from KA to RB? I heard you need engine mount, new drive shaft, and etc.?

oojpeeoo
03-03-2004, 02:44 AM
i like sr's always have..but rb are koo 2... clunky

nightwalker
03-04-2004, 03:09 PM
RB25 would be bad ass for wangan. But otherwise, just SR. I don't see why people are doing the RB20. I have to aske those crazy Japanese guys why they keep swapping their RB20s for SRs. Stupid Japanese people. :jerkit:

davenavarro1
03-07-2004, 05:54 PM
rb25 is the best motor you can put on a s13. iron block, alluminum head.

it only depends how much money you have in the ban and no i dont have money in the bank.

Red
03-09-2004, 08:44 AM
HAHA!

(I have goals)

1st GOAL! Turbo the KA and make it the most powerfull KA ever... Whats the most a KA has had?? I think 600hp would win so thats my current goal..

2nd GOAL! Stick the KA in my bro's 1980 Maxima (1 more year and no immisions baby) and get a more reliable RB26DETT in my current car... Only slightly upgrade the power... (like 400 maby?)

I could do this in the next 4 years... (unless i get this job in spokane)

Bbandit
03-11-2004, 10:10 AM
KA all the way baby.. cheapest option of all muahahahah

steve shadows
03-11-2004, 01:42 PM
RB25 would be bad ass for wangan. But otherwise, just SR. I don't see why people are doing the RB20. I have to aske those crazy Japanese guys why they keep swapping their RB20s for SRs. Stupid Japanese people. :jerkit:

rb25det is hype, rb26 is not. If i had to trade my sr20det for any engine it would be an rb26dett and only if my goal was strickly for wangan. I however enjoy drag racing as well and adding the extra 2 cylinders would knock me into outlaw which i would not be able to compete in. I do wangan with the sr20det works great, nice center of gravity...just right i think.

To all of those who think the rb20 or rb25 is the best engine to put in an sr20det , have you ever done wieght comparisons? full engine tear downs, piston and rod balnce, wieght and specification tests and checks? Have you raced both in all arenas of racing? and done real bare Knuckle comparisons? I have had eperience with both. I prefer sr20det for the novic and intermdiate driver and in my opinion the rb20 is not worth the trouble, the rb25det is good for sub 450whp levels and the rb26 is the best option but only for advanced driver or intermdiate who plans mostly wangan or top speed racing...

this is my opinion based purly on first hand experience with all of the above stated engines...

The h22 is nice but how many competitive honda drag racers and road racers are swapping out their b20 vtec and b18s for them? Not many, same in japan the sr20det is more favored for everything in s chasis. Just my opinion. All excellent power plants and power making platforms tho...saying that the rb has more potential for power is completly unfounded, im waiting for ngr performance in florida to get some ACTUAL dyno numbers down for the stock internal rb25. The rb26 yes is superior in everyway to sr, but rb25 is different, not as strong internally, i have seen both engines inside. Not the same, similar but not the same. The sr20det has been proven in the united states first hand to be capable of 600whp on stock bottom end for extended periods of time, i have pushed over 350whp on stock head gasket for more than a year at a time before...and raced on them every week...There needs to be more HARD proof from reputable tuners. I do have an rb26dett powered s12 in the works for wangan and drag in the near future the rb26 enegin in king the head design is also far superior to the rb25 and rb20 depending on model.

Another note on rb25det i saw in the "drift" auto magazine passed out at d1 the one with "d man" on the back an article with mark slide squads s13 coupe wiht rb25det, it said he has 400hp? is this a dyno number? has the car ever even been dynoed? this is the kind of irresposible reporting i expect from these kind of editorials by members of motorex but i mean this is completley unfounded. Is this a flywheel guestimate? be wary of the hype out there guys its thick like a cloud of mustard gas and i feel myself gagging everyday...

stp9154
03-12-2004, 05:29 PM
2JZ-GTE. Sorry for being off the topic.

The ROMAN
03-12-2004, 05:36 PM
KA24DET Cheaper than both, Greddy turbo kits are now like $2,800 and rebuilding a $300 KA would be more fun (to me anyway) then just dropping in an overpriced SR/RB. Plus support for the KA-T is expected to increase. But, to be on topic, SR over RB because of the extra weight. I'm into drifting/autoX more than drag/wangan so I'll take light weight and faster revs over 650HP+ potential.

nightwalker
03-12-2004, 06:03 PM
then you'll appreciate the fact that the SR w/it's turbo system is lighter than the NA KA. (It was the factor in my own plans)

The ROMAN
03-12-2004, 06:32 PM
Yeah I figured as much (all aluminium). KA-T is Cheapo Dorifto, plus if the engine blows you can another one for nothing

Ghettokracker71
03-13-2004, 08:00 AM
2JZ-GTE. Sorry for being off the topic.
I wanna see that in an AE86 .....heh heh,that'd be badass

EDIT:Whats the difference between a GTE and a 2JZ-A80(Does that one even exsist?)

steve shadows
04-19-2004, 11:05 AM
i like the ca18det in the s13 better than the rb25 or rb20. Just pesonal opinion, i like the way the car feels when its light in the front.

-steve :newbie: :rofl: :fruit:

JtWo
04-29-2004, 03:46 PM
The 2JZ-GTE swap into an AE86 has been done, Jap Peoples do it for Drag racing. Theres no such thing as a 2JZ-A80. Maybe your confusing the Supras chassis code. JZA80 for the MKIV supra.
How is the RB series engine the best engine ever? Lol. The stock USDM 2JZ can take it(The USDM 2JZ is the best 2JZ, even better than the JDM Supra RZ's engine.)

goofynick6
04-29-2004, 06:36 PM
There's a guy over on the NICO board who hit 597whp from his stock internals (aftermarket cams only) RB25, and another guy hit 490whp with his stock internals RB20...

The RB20 is a bit lighter than the RB25, mostly because it uses a lighter transmission, is easy to install, and I picked up my whole swap for under $1000. I'm doing RB20 because they sound 10x better than an SR, it can make the power "I" want (~350whp) and I could afford it.

Turbo'ing the KA is cool if you want 250-275whp, but if you want more, you have to build the engine, in which case, a stock rb25 is better off than that or a stock rb20 and it doesn't weigh that much more than the KA did in the first place.

Anyhoo, just my opinion.

Nick

drift freaq
04-29-2004, 06:55 PM
There's a guy over on the NICO board who hit 597whp from his stock internals (aftermarket cams only) RB25, and another guy hit 490whp with his stock internals RB20...

The RB20 is a bit lighter than the RB25, mostly because it uses a lighter transmission, is easy to install, and I picked up my whole swap for under $1000. I'm doing RB20 because they sound 10x better than an SR, it can make the power "I" want (~350whp) and I could afford it.

Turbo'ing the KA is cool if you want 250-275whp, but if you want more, you have to build the engine, in which case, a stock rb25 is better off than that or a stock rb20 and it doesn't weigh that much more than the KA did in the first place.

Anyhoo, just my opinion.

Nick

actually Nick, there are quite a few people running around with stock internal KA turbo's that are putting out somewhere in the 350-300 rwhp range. You just here more about the idiots that did not get there fuel system setup right and blew there engines.

goofynick6
04-29-2004, 07:25 PM
Haha...I guess I haven't been reading up about them as much lately. I guess, though that at those levels, the engine is pretty much maxed out until you build it. For some people that's cool, it all depends on what you prefer: revvability, exhaust note, max power levels..etc.

Nick

Ghettokracker71
04-30-2004, 10:53 AM
The 2JZ-GTE swap into an AE86 has been done, Jap Peoples do it for Drag racing. Theres no such thing as a 2JZ-A80. Maybe your confusing the Supras chassis code. JZA80 for the MKIV supra.
How is the RB series engine the best engine ever? Lol. The stock USDM 2JZ can take it(The USDM 2JZ is the best 2JZ, even better than the JDM Supra RZ's engine.)

Thanks I appreciate the info! USDM take an RB? Wrong-o buddy. See Best Motoring:Ultimate 6. Also see Best Motoring:Supra MKIV vs. Skyline GT-R V-Spec II. Geuss who wins? RB26DETT,thats why the RB is known as godzilla NOT the 2JZ.

As much as I love 2jz's,....

steve shadows
05-21-2004, 03:29 AM
Thanks I appreciate the info! USDM take an RB? Wrong-o buddy. See Best Motoring:Ultimate 6. Also see Best Motoring:Supra MKIV vs. Skyline GT-R V-Spec II. Geuss who wins? RB26DETT,thats why the RB is known as godzilla NOT the 2JZ.

As much as I love 2jz's,....

2jz
rb26dett
sr20det...
3sgte

all beautiful all a dream to drive :mrmeph:

steve shadows
05-22-2004, 12:32 AM
RB=best motor ever:rawk:

second the motion :wtf: :loco:

Sirikool
05-22-2004, 01:30 PM
RB is just going overboard. :-/

Bbandit
05-23-2004, 09:29 AM
SR.. it makes more sense

M.Piedlourde
06-04-2004, 07:00 AM
KA... Speed insnt everything... Plus the 2,000+ you speed could be put toward buying tires an brake pads ;)

I'm with this guy. Why no option to just stick with the KA?

goofynick6
06-04-2004, 09:35 PM
Because when you up the boost and blow the ka, you get greedy and end up building the whole thing, and the money and time spent doing it could go toward a newer engine that was built for boost and would withstand more than 10-12 psi safely.

Nick

Chernobyl
06-05-2004, 02:38 AM
I gave a kid with an RB the thubs down last night.

200lbs extra in front...

KA is best for touge and drift. Instant power and easy to control.

Var
06-05-2004, 10:57 AM
almost everyone in this thread keeps reffering to RB.. WHICH ONE? only a few have been specific about which rb engine they are talking about. which rb engine adds 200 pounds to the front? the poll reads

RB or SR?

which rb?

Chernobyl
06-05-2004, 02:33 PM
They all add 200lbs. RB, although compact, is still a 6 banger, and therefore bigger and heavier.

RB20 and RB25 are nothing special really. The RB26 has all the extra bottom end strengthening that made the RB series so popular. I guess you can say the RB20 and RB25 are just riding on the wave of the RB26's popularity.

rps13 SR
06-06-2004, 01:36 PM
2jz is better... :rl:

Chernobyl
06-06-2004, 07:21 PM
... or L28et That's a good Nissan inline 6.

180hp non-intercooled. Not bad for 1981!

goofynick6
06-06-2004, 08:39 PM
They all add 200lbs. RB, although compact, is still a 6 banger, and therefore bigger and heavier.

RB20 and RB25 are nothing special really. The RB26 has all the extra bottom end strengthening that made the RB series so popular. I guess you can say the RB20 and RB25 are just riding on the wave of the RB26's popularity.

Yet again, the perfect example of the guy who starts rumors and spreads bad information because he obviously hasn't read anything.

No, not all RB's add 200, and adding 200 depends on if you had auto or manual before hand. The rb20 is a lot lighter than the rb25 because the transmission is like the sr's and ka's, and is smaller than the rb25's.

On top of that, 90% of guys who add these engines place them properly, and notice no ill-effects on their handling of their car; the power makes up for the extra weight and then some.

Why give someone thumbs down because they're different and probably will make more power with less mods than you? You seem like a dick; you should be giving him thumbs up for being different and having an engine that doesn't sound like ass...

Nick

goofynick6
06-06-2004, 08:40 PM
and oh yeah.."rb20 and rb25 are nothing special"

Is that why people have made 600rwhp on stock internal rb25's? And 500rwhp on stock internal rb20's? And that's w/o a bunch of headwork and stuff like the sr guys do that make that much on stock internals.

Sorry man, but stick to what you know from now on..

Nick

goofynick6
06-06-2004, 08:42 PM
I gave a kid with an RB the thubs down last night.

200lbs extra in front...

KA is best for touge and drift. Instant power and easy to control.

Yeah, and we all know how much touge driving we do here in the states...

nissantuner22
06-07-2004, 07:39 AM
I'm torn between the 2 myself. Its very tempting to get an RB20DET, as my car is mostly a daily driver that gets "sprited driving" from point A to B. The only thing really stopping me from the RB swap though is the parts supply. With an SR20 I can get whatever I want, with an RB, its kind of intimadating. What if something craps out on the car? than i gotta wait for parts. ugh.

anyone daily driving an RB now and can comment on its reliability and drivability?

Ghettokracker71
06-07-2004, 10:59 AM
and oh yeah.."rb20 and rb25 are nothing special"

Is that why people have made 600rwhp on stock internal rb25's? And 500rwhp on stock internal rb20's? And that's w/o a bunch of headwork and stuff like the sr guys do that make that much on stock internals.

Sorry man, but stick to what you know from now on..

Nick

Wow! Thats alot of power...:)

goofynick6
06-07-2004, 07:33 PM
RB parts are becoming very common now, and they share parts with the non-turbo 300zx. Sparkplugs, fuel filter, coilpacks, clutch, etc. Other parts like belts you just size them up at the local advanced auto or napa and get them. Waterpumps and gaskets you can order from a dozen online places that carry them now and they usually have them in stock. If you're looking for something under 400whp, the RB20det is a very easy, effective, great sounding/performing engine that is usually cheaper than the SR.

Nick

Chernobyl
06-08-2004, 01:20 AM
Wow goofynick, you actually needed 4 posts to "prove" your point? Blah Blah.

I gave the rb25 kid the thumbs down because he was attracting attention to me on a public street in the middle of the night. I don't street race and I don't want any cops thinking that I do. Besides, I've met him before and he's a tool.

And no, RB20 and RB25 are still nothing special. Saying they can run X amount of horsepower with stock internals really doesn't prove anything. L28et can do 400hp on stock internals as well, and that was back in 1981....

You think these engines are god's gift to the automotive world because you aren't used to seeing them every day. Go live in Australia for a few years and you'll get over it really quick.

Pound per pound, the RB will weigh more than a KA. The 200lb figure is a bit high now that I think about it, but I'm sure there is still a 100lb difference or so.

Baka Sama
06-08-2004, 01:01 PM
Does anyone know how much the stock Ka weighs??

Im in the process of doing a Lt1 swap into a s13 and I wanna know whats the diff. in weight gonna be like.

oh and as far as rb20 ,rb25, rb26, vs sr goes..... I still say good ol' NA KA with bolt ons! its fast enough and the money could be spent on other things like suspension/tires/track time/exc.. Whats the use of having a rb26 if you cant drive worth a damn?

Chernobyl
06-08-2004, 02:57 PM
oh and as far as rb20 ,rb25, rb26, vs sr goes..... I still say good ol' NA KA with bolt ons! its fast enough and the money could be spent on other things like suspension/tires/track time/exc.. Whats the use of having a rb26 if you cant drive worth a damn?
Finally, someone who understands where I'm coming from...

Although stock KA is better than KA w/boltons. Because you don't really feel a difference, IMO.

crazyikimasho
06-08-2004, 05:37 PM
on the reliablity note... my s14 has been RB25det powered since November of 2003. Since then the car has been all over the eastern seaboard to various events and from New York to South Carolina.

The car is very reliable. I do drive in drift events so I know how the car handles. The motor is clearly heavier, but adjustments can be made in suspension to compensate. Not to mention things that can be removed to reduce weight. The car does have a significant amount of oversteer now compared to stock, as the engine is heavier. Overall the car is very fun to drive, I am still running just over stock boost, with stock downpipe, and open cat.

I weighed the car with everything, as the car is loaded (i.e. sunroof, leather), including amps and sub. Without me in it and weighed 3000lbs on the nose. With a decent suspension setup: coilovers, bracing, replacing the 4.36 gear I have now with a 4.08 again, and some small misc stuff the car will be great on the track.

It all depends on what you want, the sound is amazing and the car is super smooth. On the highway its great, just need to get the 4.08 gear back in so that I am not running 3800+ rpm at cruising speeds on the interstate. I like my setup, but its not for everyone.

d1borty
06-08-2004, 11:31 PM
depends on what chasis it is going into...
sr20det=s13/s14/s15
rbs=r32/r33/r34
get a motor that actually belongs to the car.

steve shadows
06-11-2004, 12:12 AM
... or L28et That's a good Nissan inline 6.

180hp non-intercooled. Not bad for 1981!

:Owned: right on l series are nice. i love how everyone is raping this rb bandwagon. Thank you sport compact car.

goofynick6
06-11-2004, 06:19 AM
Finally, someone who understands where I'm coming from...

Although stock KA is better than KA w/boltons. Because you don't really feel a difference, IMO.

Or just someone else who will never have anything other than a KA, and therefore will bash what they don't/can't have.

I never said the RB was god's gift to anyone, but I'd have to say it's better than a KA...yeah, stock KA with bolt ons, and you'd still get beat by an SI.

Ignorance is bliss guys, and most of you are happy as can be. I'm done with this thread..argue all you want, call me any name you want, but when it comes to the street and real life that's where it counts; not this zilvia crap..

Nick

Chernobyl
06-11-2004, 05:08 PM
Ignorance is bliss guys, and most of you are happy as can be. I'm done with this thread..argue all you want, call me any name you want, but when it comes to the street and real life that's where it counts; not this zilvia crap..

Nick

You're the one who keeps arguing about some engine you've never even touched. And I'd rather autox a KA over an RB any day. Power isn't everything. For power, I always have my 13B-t... so yea...

:wackit: Go rub one out or something, and quit whining about "where it counts" Zilvia is not crap, it is the shit. :fawk2: What are you trying to prove, and who are you trying to prove it to?

Baka Sama
06-11-2004, 09:35 PM
Or just someone else who will never have anything other than a KA, and therefore will bash what they don't/can't have.

I never said the RB was god's gift to anyone, but I'd have to say it's better than a KA...yeah, stock KA with bolt ons, and you'd still get beat by an SI.

Nick

#1 your a dumbass

#2 I will never have anything other than a ka so i bash on things i cant/dont have?? please... I am not 16 and i dont work at McDonalds. If I really wanted a SR20 all I'd have to do is pick up the phone and call my friends shop. If you read! (wow theres a thought) I said I was in the process of swaping out the ka for a lt1. Man I cant wait to drop that v8.

#3 When I said a ka w/ bolt ons i was refering to drifting. The 2k you would spend on a jdm engine you DONT NEED could be spent on better things such as suspension. Why the hell would u street race a stock ka?

Why give someone thumbs down because they're different and probably will make more power with less mods than you? You seem like a dick; you should be giving him thumbs up for being different and having an engine that doesn't sound like ass...

Remember to keep those exact words in mind if your ever lucky enough to get spanked by my lt1 240. :cool:

Chernobyl
06-11-2004, 10:23 PM
Can't wait to see this LT-1 in a 240... definitely post pics when you're done.

Reverse-flow cooling and huge aftermarket, not a bad choice.

V8 is a more compact design than I6 also.

I like the way you think.

Ghettokracker71
06-13-2004, 07:43 PM

Aries on NICO has a juiced LS-1 in an s14 IIRC

goofynick6
06-17-2004, 06:55 AM
I don't have anything against a KA, or and LT1 or CA18..etc. Anything in a 240 is cool. However, when people just downright bash an RB or anything that isn't the almighty truck engine, then I think that is stupid. I'm open to all engines and setups, and I think everyone should be.

But spreading bad info about something and then giving someone a thumbsdown like that (if it is because of their engine) just sucks.

Nick

theicecreamdan
07-15-2004, 07:24 PM
it's not a truck engine,,, the trucks get sports car engines.

JINX
07-19-2004, 08:14 PM
I ran into a dude who plans on swaping a v8 into a 240.
I feel like he is betraying the whole import movement.
It is almost sacriligous.
I wouldnt swap a RB20. RB25det or 26dett, yes.
Putting the bigest motor in your ride is the American way.
But a v8, there is just something fundamentaly wrong with that.
Isn't part of it to smoke V8s every chance you get?
Now your flipping sides?

brianglawson
07-20-2004, 03:21 PM
i was curous, how tourqey does an rb20 feel to those who have one, say compared to an sr....im planning on one for my 240z, i can get one for 1700, and thatll leave me alot of extra cash to make it humm:)
on the arguement, i like all of em, L series, sr, rb, ca, all except the V8, to me an american v8 just doesnt feel sporty but thats a personal preference... 2jz, is also a great motor, to bad there so expensive

Siizzzoooo
07-21-2004, 06:41 PM
quit yapping about which is the best bang per buck

just buy it all and be happy. shit.

TheSnail
07-21-2004, 11:08 PM
I went from KA to SR to rb20 to rb26. They are all fine. Stop bitchin about things you you havent driven, and buy the shit and you will be happy. If you have only 2k and a stock 240, then you have a long ways ahead of you before doing any swap or turboing the ka. There are quite a few gay responces on this thread that should be ignored.
-Snail

Bluewind
07-22-2004, 04:54 AM
This thread is quite depressing after reading the whole thing. I'm still sticking to the SR. The SR, being that I have modded my car's suspension, learned to drift off my KA, and am now ready for a new and more powerful engine. Some people speak of power, alright, well the RB is too heavy if you wanna stick to the drift scene. Why don't you consider something else? "What?" You might ask? Try the 20b Cosmos. Despite the price, reliability, and competency of the owner, a well built 20b can leave any RB/SR in it's path. Light, powerful, and limitless.

AAA240SX
07-28-2004, 06:26 PM
Gas prices suck!!!

Slogan: "SR20DET FOR ME"

wootwoot
08-07-2004, 02:21 AM
personal engine choice is ca18det, the mini rb.
i have an sr though, it happend to fall into my hands so i couldnt say no. if i wasnt going to get a ca, the next choice was a ka. i know they are 2 tottally different engines but i like both the styles a lot.

RedlineRacer
08-07-2004, 04:01 PM

Ok, thats was some total contradiction. Earlier you said you would rather keep a NA KA than have a RB25 and be able to auto-x with the KA. Now you say you think the idea of a V8 is good. Umm...a rb25 would do much better as a track engine than a v8 would. You would only have about a 4k rpm band to play in. In a v8, unlike an rb25, you would have about 7k. And, a v8 would weigh a hella lot more than an rb25 would. not trying to flame man, but that last comment was really contraditory.

But, if I was to do a swap, I would go with the CA18 also. You can get them dirt cheap and you can get almost any part off a USDM pulsar to work for it. And it has just as much potential as a SR or RB would have.

sepulchral
08-07-2004, 07:51 PM
a v8 in a 240 is the ugliest thing in the world- ive seen it. not to mention i raced one and they are soooo fucking slow, this coming froma guy with a sr20 stock turbo on 13lbs racing a s13 with lt1 racing cam and all bolt ons, quaif lsd and 10 inch wide rears.

and if i were to drift not race id go ka but if i plan on making it in the big league might as well do what everyones doin and perform a sr/rb/ca swap or turbo the ka.

plus a turbo 240 is so fun to drive :)

SimpleSexy180
09-18-2004, 02:24 PM
guys... PUT WHAT BELONGS ON/IN THE CAR

Marty
09-18-2004, 09:15 PM
id say go with the cheapest solution, ka-t

SR_TeXaN
10-15-2004, 09:35 PM
This Thread should = *CLOSED*

sLiDewAys
11-10-2004, 05:29 PM
NEITHER! ca18. HAHAHHA... but if i had to pick id say sr. FUCK KA. krappy truck motor

elevator
11-11-2004, 12:09 AM
This question is much too vague. Are you talking RB20, RB25, or RB26? I would NEVER waste my time with an RB20. It is much too freaking big and has virtually the same displacement as the SR20. Why put such a huge thing in such a little car when you can get the same bang out of an SR? The RB@% or 26 both are a different matter. They might be worth the time and effort.

revat619
11-11-2004, 01:10 AM
Each engine has its pros and cons. Do what you want for your goals.

I for one will be going with an rb25.

jy116
11-16-2004, 10:46 PM
damn... i just wasted my time reading all this. Hhaha... u can't tell if ppl are talking outta there pants or if they really know... no offesnse, but thats what I got from it all. Post pics/links to back up the claims, or sumthing...

Another thing, more weight in front induces UNDERsteer, not oversteer.

As far as my response to the thread topic, I talked to Frank [worked on SRs a lot, til they blow] at Racetune [NorCal] and he said the RB has more potential then the SR. Apparently the SR is designed to pretty close to its full potential, whereas the RB20 still has more potential to build upon [in regards to improvement per upgrade/dollar spent]. It's obvious that anything can have crazy power if u thro enough money at it. Im thinking its due to the iron block [RB] vs aluminum [SR]... is that right?

elevator
11-16-2004, 11:04 PM
As far as my response to the thread topic, I talked to Frank [worked on SRs a lot, til they blow] at Racetune [NorCal] and he said the RB has more potential then the SR. Apparently the SR is designed to pretty close to its full potential,
NOT true! The SR has PLENTY of potential. On a car as light as an S13...more than 350 hp is like putting a gallon of water in an 8 ounce glass. It is pretty much wasted.

jy116
11-16-2004, 11:15 PM
yeh, i gues he was talking about making insane power >:] ...

Im just researching cuz when I get a second car, I want to have a track whore s13, and kill some v8s ... on the straights too! Still wondering about the RB weight difference as compared to the KA... especially since even SR s13s are notorious for understeer.

elevator
11-17-2004, 12:22 AM
... especially since even SR s13s are notorious for understeer.
THAT is nonsense too. The S13 is MEANT to have an SR20 in it. Understeer? Have good suspension...practice...understeer is a hell of a lot less an issue with an SR than an RB!!

SR240DET
11-17-2004, 12:43 AM
if you really have to ask what one you should get.. i would say you should get neither one.... because you obviously arent ready....

Var
01-07-2005, 03:35 PM
The SR is a beautiful motor when built right. If you have it revving to 8k rpm with the right size turbo and cams, the motor is in heaven. Just have the proper cooling and oil supply.

Sr's dont cause understeer. The way the 240 is built it's just how it is. To counter it, you'd either have to run retarded alignment angles, or have wider track in the front or equal spring rates front and rear for rotation with slightly staggered tires to increase rear tire grip.

86LXItooFAST4me
02-11-2005, 03:01 PM
but wouldnt it be better to have an engine that would easily handle 350rwhp (rb26) than to put that amount of stress on a sr20?

nismo2491
02-11-2005, 03:05 PM
I say neither, do a ka24det but since I must vote for one or the other and there's no write ins I said rb

mr_240sx
02-11-2005, 10:07 PM
im an sr man!!!

drewtoes
02-25-2005, 02:20 AM
i would prefer the sr i figure too much power i wouldnt know what to do with it...plus i heard it would throw off the whole drifting thing. im happy with the sr

MoK
03-29-2005, 04:48 AM
mmmmm...... :bowdown: Skyline GT-R Z-tune :hitit:

MakotoS13
03-29-2005, 04:40 PM
EFF JDM. keep what came in the car. there isn't any reason to not just turbo the Existing motor espeically with the advent of PHAT KA-T's beast and the new AEM computer. i'm goin sohc KAT because 300whp is easily attainable from it and if i blow it up i can get another one for dirt cheap.

420sx
03-29-2005, 10:18 PM
id say it all depends on funds/goal. and i do love the way sr feels compared to ka-t. i probably will own both.

how about an lt1? hahah

infinitexsound
03-29-2005, 11:31 PM
either or dont really care... i have 2 ka's all i have all im gonna use... when i get done building this KA, race it and blow it up i have another sitting to replace it... =)

drift freaq
03-31-2005, 11:30 AM
having driven a lot of SR cars . I do actually love the way the SR runs as a engine. I do miss the bottom end torque but if you put in a S14sr you will reclaim that lost torque. So I can say as far as engines go I much prefer the way a SR runs to a KA. I do not hate the KA. The RB25 to me is a engine with great potential. As for the naysayers who are making claims about excessive weight issues and understeer with the RB I have one question. Have you ever driven a RB powered car? I love how people come on this forum and argue which engine is better based on their opinions with no real world experience . Its as bad as the Inline 6 crowd hating the V6's just because their a fucking V motor and not a inline.
The RB 25 weight wise is pretty much comparable to the KA if only around 150lbs heavier.
Now most of you may think thats a lot but the thing of it is part of that is the transmission and it actually winds up centering the weight farther back in the car than a SR or a KA resulting in a even closer to 50/50 weight balance. The socalled understeer and plow that most people voice in fear here is not that real. In fact when you add in the extra power and torque you pick up it negates a major part of that.
You think it won't work in drift car eh? Funny I wonder why slide squad mark installed a RB25 in a S13 coupe?
My partner in business has built RB powered cars and owns a RB25 powered track car (S14)that he put together over 6.5 years ago.
Fact is that is one of the most well balanced track s14's I have ever seen. Until you have done any of these things, or have first hand observation of one these setups, your opinion is your opinion and nothing more. I.E. not fact!!

nick180sx
04-01-2005, 01:27 AM
2jz is better... :rl:
better based on what?

2JZ redline is 6800rpms
RB26dett redline is 8200rpms

2JZ pros:
- bigger injectors
- more displacement
- holds 900whp when properly tuned ( new shortblock needed though)

RB26DETT pros:
- revvier
- better head design
- better turbo setup ( gotta see the stock 2JZ turbo manifold setup)
- parallel turbos with ceramic wheels ( no lag :wiggle: )

How do I know? I have both...
And i love the RB26DETT

nick180sx
04-01-2005, 01:36 AM
NOT true! The SR has PLENTY of potential. On a car as light as an S13...more than 350 hp is like putting a gallon of water in an 8 ounce glass. It is pretty much wasted.
Wasted?

Have you been in a 1700lb 230whp CRX? 1800lb 280whp Sentra GTiR? 1600lb 400whp Mitsubishi Colt? all with properly setup suspension?
They are all real fun
;) ;) ;)

And by the way, a base s13 with and RB26 in it, and full tank of gas and battery in the trunk is right at 50/50, total wieght is right at 2800lbs.
The only problem that the most weight with a driver goes to the front left, so a RHD conversion will make for a perfectly balanced s13 GTR.
The key is a set of good coilovers. But whoever can afford a RB26DETT swap, should a afford a set of good coilovers :2f2f:

Project D
05-29-2005, 12:52 AM
I like the Sr20 for sure over the RB. Not a big drag fan anymore, and an AWD eclipse with a built 4G63 would be my choice for a drag vehicle. Nissan for me is for the track capabilities of a nimble car, not an overweight slug with major power.

Dorifto180sx
06-15-2006, 03:15 AM
I would definitely go for RB than a SR, completely different in potential. RB is all out raw power then a plain SR, not that SR's are not cool, but anyone who wants a engine that comes with so much power stock, RB would be it.

LA_phantom_240
07-06-2006, 02:54 PM
Ok, thats was some total contradiction. Earlier you said you would rather keep a NA KA than have a RB25 and be able to auto-x with the KA. Now you say you think the idea of a V8 is good. Umm...a rb25 would do much better as a track engine than a v8 would. You would only have about a 4k rpm band to play in. In a v8, unlike an rb25, you would have about 7k. And, a v8 would weigh a hella lot more than an rb25 would. not trying to flame man, but that last comment was really contraditory.

But, if I was to do a swap, I would go with the CA18 also. You can get them dirt cheap and you can get almost any part off a USDM pulsar to work for it. And it has just as much potential as a SR or RB would have.
Okay, thats an ignorant post. IIRC the LT-1 or LS-1 (cant remember) paired up with the T56 6 speed transmission (IIRC) Is approximately the same weight as your stock KA24 drivetrain. Its all aluminum. Check it out at www.hinsonsupercars.com theyre putting one in an s14, and making swap kits available.

As for wether CA, KA, RB, or SR. Im going with CA or RB20, because I know people who own both, and the RB20 just has that sound that says "sex". That and ive gotten to drive it a little. Very smooth power delivery. The only reason I'm swapping, though is because my KA is dead, and I dont think it can be rebuilt.

Siberian Husky
07-06-2006, 10:09 PM
I'm torn between the 2 myself. Its very tempting to get an RB20DET, as my car is mostly a daily driver that gets "sprited driving" from point A to B. The only thing really stopping me from the RB swap though is the parts supply. With an SR20 I can get whatever I want, with an RB, its kind of intimadating. What if something craps out on the car? than i gotta wait for parts. ugh.

anyone daily driving an RB now and can comment on its reliability and drivability?

I probably daily my rb25 more than others with the rb25.

I drive approximately 60-80, sometimes 100, miles a DAY!..thats right..day!

Comes out to 500-750 miles a week. I do oil changes every 3 weeks.

Its great, its calm when you need it to be, and you get how ever much power you want/need for spirited driving or passing cars as you need. The response is great and i get good milage for an I6 turbo.

The car feels more solid with the RB.

Havnt had any problems yet.

Also, RB parts arent bad to come by at all, it just seems that way because RBs dont share as much as the 240 market as the SR or KA. I frequent an australian skyline forum that leaves me rest assured that parts are plentiful from many suppliers both aftermarket and even OEM.

Also, i dont understand why people hate on RB and rag on it as a waste of money.

"id rather spend the 2000 dollars on tires and brakes than waste it on an RB"

Its like people believe the 240sx was solely made to drift and track. Also, a person spends money at his/her descresion so i dont see why others worry about what he or she pays for work done on the car. If money is so critical in your life and you are so economically concious that you comment on the way others spend in an audacious manner, then i cant help but pull the jealousy card.

Anyways...thumbs up to most of everyone on this board, different strokes for different folks.

intense240sx
07-07-2006, 12:38 PM
I got an SR and i love it. RB might be just to much for me. SR is good enough for this youngin!

redsuns3838
07-07-2006, 02:06 PM
if i had a lot of money, id go for an RB, but SR is cheaper, plus my car is a daily driver so if a part breaks, SR parts are much easier to come by and more available than RB parts. hopefully that will change someday. id love to have a RB in my car though., if i had the $

drift freaq
07-07-2006, 02:27 PM
if i had a lot of money, id go for an RB, but SR is cheaper, plus my car is a daily driver so if a part breaks, SR parts are much easier to come by and more available than RB parts. hopefully that will change someday. id love to have a RB in my car though., if i had the $

The RB parts you would most likely need are readily available. It is a myth that you cannot find them. More performance aftermarket parts retailers in the 240sx community have been stocking or can get these items at a phone call.
I personally at this point in time feel that if your going to put a illegal engine in the car it might as well be a RB. I am done with SR's, while they are nice the words that were stated above by Siberianhusky ring very true.

BRB26
07-10-2006, 06:01 PM
RB in a mustang ftw..jk
trying to get an SR in my s13..but an rb would be awesome if cash wasnt a problem..

hybrid_eg
07-10-2006, 11:33 PM
if you have a money to do an RB swap all the way.. the smoothness given by this motor is simply unbelieveable! you cannot compare the two.. and yes the car feels so much more solid. Husky that was a perfect response btw!

LA_phantom_240
07-10-2006, 11:43 PM
Personally, i like the design of the RB better than the sr. I dont like the rocker design, i think it was a chinsy way to do it, and a single row chain? come on. The RB sounds so nice and it IS very smooth (got to ride in my buddy's rb25 s14 =). And about handling and such, I dont know about you guys, but unless im spending more time on the track than on the streets, im really not going to notice much of a difference in handling.

drift freaq
07-11-2006, 12:00 AM
Personally, i like the design of the RB better than the sr. I dont like the rocker design, i think it was a chinsy way to do it, and a single row chain? come on. The RB sounds so nice and it IS very smooth (got to ride in my buddy's rb25 s14 =). And about handling and such, I dont know about you guys, but unless im spending more time on the track than on the streets, im really not going to notice much of a difference in handling.

Your correct about that phantom. The car like siberian husky said feels a lot more solid as well as planted. It does not affect the overall handling at all. In fact some people feel it improves it.

kuramaya
07-11-2006, 12:56 AM
SR>RB unless its a 26

drift freaq
07-11-2006, 09:30 AM
SR>RB unless its a 26
no fair bjork, your in Japan. hahahhaha different set of rules . how you been man?

LA_phantom_240
07-11-2006, 11:27 AM
lol.. that IS a different set of rules entirely... you guys have unlimited access to cool motors... But then again we dont have homosexual taxes and fees and such every other day... and In louisiana we dont have smog.

KodSil80
07-12-2006, 02:24 PM
RB of course