PDA

View Full Version : mmm, wondering what i should do about my sun roof

pruto
12-20-2003, 12:40 AM
my 95 base got a aftermarket sunroof installed (prev owner). it was cool for a while, then the upholstry got jacked up, and now the thing just doesn't work.

my tall ass can't really fit in it with my helmet on, and its a pain in the ass.

i want the sucker GONE!

question is, how? what the hell am i going to replace it with?

ghetto formula would be to just rip out all the linings and replace the glass with a piece of sheetmetal. er.... dunno, haha. i really don't want my car to look ghetto yet, its still my daily, and will be for a long while.

I heard mr. drifta xxxxxxxl Charlie say that he was going to remove his sunroof and put some bars or something, not sure how that turned out. but sounds like a good plan to reinforce the opening to improve structural integrity.

*sigh* this is what happens when i get too much time on my hands.

anyway, please offer random ghetto suggestions. i welcome anything :) Oh, also if you know any shops in socal that can do one of these super SPL un-mods, let me know.

or we can just chat, please, i'm bored

andrave
12-20-2003, 12:30 PM
you could replace it with a pop up one, since they actually give you a litte more room in the S13...
or you could make some kind of fiberglass or carbon fiber "sunroof delete" plate....
or you could always bolt on one of those import fan 2F2F mad tyte rally style roof air scoops.
But then I will kick you in the balls if I ever meet you.
sorry.

pruto
12-20-2003, 01:01 PM
dude! the airscoop idea is excellent, i mean, if i ever take out my AC i won't even have to worry about interior cooling :D

hmmm,

drifties151
12-20-2003, 04:14 PM
silicone and plexi glass :D :D :::sigh::: i miss my old s14, but now im really thinking of making a carbon fiber panel for my new s14, and self tapping it on with some silicone to make it water tight.... i think i have a thing for silicone... :naughty: ne ideas for securing it??

andrave
12-20-2003, 07:00 PM
The lady that owned my car forget to latch the roof and it shattered on the interstate. So when i bought the car it had like 1/10 inch plexi glass, silicone in place and covered with packing tape and duct tape.
weeee!
seemed to seal out the water pretty well... not quite as well as the factory roof I replaced it with though.
:aw:

S13SilviaGirl
12-20-2003, 07:59 PM
orrr, cut the roof off of a crashed s14 w/out a sunroof and weld it on in the place of yours, sand, repaint and good as new!

Evil S14
12-21-2003, 12:04 AM
orrr instead of welding a whole new roof in, take the sunroof out, have someone weld a piece of sheetmetal in, make a reinforcment bar then sand and paint the roof, wham-o! no sunroof:D

mbmbmb23
12-22-2003, 09:09 AM
Just get a removable pop up sunroof. That way you can pop it UP and you'll have more room for your helmet, or you can just remove it for the track event.

-m

Ghettokracker71
12-23-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Evil S14
orrr instead of welding a whole new roof in, take the sunroof out, have someone weld a piece of sheetmetal in, make a reinforcment bar then sand and paint the roof, wham-o! no sunroof:D

And more rigidness for hitt'n da corn-ahs

s15dude
12-23-2003, 08:00 PM
Paul u shoulda welded a peice of sheetmetal in before you painted your car

-E-
12-24-2003, 05:14 PM
carbon fiber insert

Ghettokracker71
12-24-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by EONE914
carbon fiber insert

Good Idea,but I would put a couple of bars or braces of some sort,or "ribs" in the carbon fiber insert if you will,for rigidness....yeah,plus that'd be "pimp"...you know how everybody loves carbon fiber !