PDA

View Full Version : Cas help. Timing dots lining up. Read first

wangan_cruiser
11-24-2011, 10:44 AM
i am trying to finish my sr again. my old cas got crushed from the accident so now i bought another one. the timing marks from oem are lot different. even i looked it up on fsm and they are completely opposite.

here some pics.

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss295/wangan_cruiser/cas.jpg

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss295/wangan_cruiser/photo1.jpg

wangan_cruiser
11-24-2011, 03:49 PM
Where are the sr gurus at?

rcdad123
11-24-2011, 05:16 PM
i am no sr guru but usually a CAS is the same as a distributor. so if you can`t get any information, do this. open the cover of the CAS, put the engine to top dead center on compression stroke on cylinder number one. install the CAS just like your old one with the dots lined up. rotate the engine counter clockwise till you get to the ignition timing mark(not the top dead center mark), now look at the rotating pick up and the stationary sensor on the inside of the CAS, line up the sensor and the pick up closest to each other by rotating the CAS body. that should put you in the ball park. tighten the CAS hold down bolt just enough so that you can still rotate it while a buddy tries to start the engine. just rotate the CAS slowly back and forth till the engine starts. once engine starts, rotate the CAS until you get the highest idle. let it run for a few minutes till the engine warms up, then check the ignition timing. i hope this helps, good luck.

Sileighty_85
11-24-2011, 06:05 PM
Am i missing something? It looks just like all the other SR CAS

silver350z05rb
11-24-2011, 07:04 PM
yea i dont get it either...............do you have the crushed one to compare to, that one there in the pic looks like a sr CAS to me,not an RB,not a KA

slider2828
11-24-2011, 10:22 PM
That looks right. What is wrong with it? You should line up the left circle to the notch on the shank. No biggy

Tantwoforty
11-25-2011, 01:59 AM
^ that
Line up the cams and such and everything should be good, Mahler were missing the issue?

wangan_cruiser
11-25-2011, 04:44 AM
heres what im talking about.

http://www.s-chassis.com/resources/wiki/images/c/ce/CAS_Alignment.jpg

if u look at the dots, mine are the opposite of the one on the pics.

niscur29
11-25-2011, 05:20 AM
Yup I had a cas that had dots the opposite of what is shown in the FSM....

Instead of:
..x
x

He Has:
x
..x

I think you still line up the right most dot first and the left should spin over when you push it in...Feel free to correct me on that one...

wangan_cruiser
11-25-2011, 01:12 PM
i am no sr guru but usually a CAS is the same as a distributor. so if you can`t get any information, do this. open the cover of the CAS, put the engine to top dead center on compression stroke on cylinder number one. install the CAS just like your old one with the dots lined up. rotate the engine counter clockwise till you get to the ignition timing mark(not the top dead center mark), now look at the rotating pick up and the stationary sensor on the inside of the CAS, line up the sensor and the pick up closest to each other by rotating the CAS body. that should put you in the ball park. tighten the CAS hold down bolt just enough so that you can still rotate it while a buddy tries to start the engine. just rotate the CAS slowly back and forth till the engine starts. once engine starts, rotate the CAS until you get the highest idle. let it run for a few minutes till the engine warms up, then check the ignition timing. i hope this helps, good luck.
thanks for the input. appreciate the time you put it to reply

Am i missing something? It looks just like all the other SR CAS

sorry dude ive only had 1 sr and seen 2 cas in my life.

yea i dont get it either...............do you have the crushed one to compare to, that one there in the pic looks like a sr CAS to me,not an RB,not a KA

crushed one was thrown away back in 09. it is a sr obviously lol

That looks right. What is wrong with it? You should line up the left circle to the notch on the shank. No biggy

yo got confused with the dots. like this guy on the bottom said so.

Yup I had a cas that had dots the opposite of what is shown in the FSM....

Instead of:
..x
x

He Has:
x
..x

I think you still line up the right most dot first and the left should spin over when you push it in...Feel free to correct me on that one...

yea it got me confused with the dots. like you stated about, the first one on top is the one i used to have, but then this one has the opposite one.