PDA

View Full Version : Analog cluster suddenly died? Still lights up, but no warning lights or needles movin

Jaketenpointo
11-19-2011, 11:29 PM
Super long title, but it seems to be a reasonably unique issue.

Background on the car:
-1990 DOHC swapped car with analog gauge cluster
-Gauges worked fine up until a 2 days ago
-Still starts and runs fine
-Cluster still lights up and so do the HVAC controls
-No warning lights on start up, and gas gauge reads full all the time
-(unsure if its relevant) but the blower motor just stopped out of the blue a couple weeks ago.

Ive searched and can only find the people having trouble with the cluster not lighting up, and when people try to swap clusters/motors and it doesn't work from the get-go. Mine WAS working and now its not.

Thanks for your time,
Jake

wangan_cruiser
11-20-2011, 11:29 AM
did you replaced the cluster from sohc to dohc?

Jaketenpointo
11-20-2011, 06:36 PM
Well I am assuming (but assuming is dumb) that the analog cluster means that its sohc cluster because the HUD clusters were for the dohc/chuki cars..... Yes?

jontron5000
11-20-2011, 06:43 PM
SOHC and DOHC clusters are different so if you're swapping in a DOHC engine, you need a DOHC cluster

Not all DOHC clusters are HUD

Jaketenpointo
11-20-2011, 09:35 PM
Well I am saying that it WAS working. Then all the needles just died. So I think it must be the correct cluster, I just wanted to see if there was anyone else having the same problem. Its like the cluster isn't getting any signals anymore.

Eramo323
11-20-2011, 09:39 PM
both, clusters will work with both motors difference is the RPM's wont work if its not the right engine for the cluster...

Eramo323
11-20-2011, 09:40 PM
probably have a wiring problem, if i were you i'd take the dash off and see if i caught a short somewhere...

Jaketenpointo
12-07-2011, 11:38 AM
I guess I should update that I just blew a fuse, and there were actually a bunch of missing ones. Its amazing what happens when you replace them... haha.

axiomatik
12-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Well I am assuming (but assuming is dumb) that the analog cluster means that its sohc cluster because the HUD clusters were for the dohc/chuki cars..... Yes?

HUD/digital clusters were available on zenkis/pignose too. Coupe only for all years, though.