PDA

View Full Version : Need to know what to expect.

Bill Roberts
12-15-2003, 10:05 PM
Hiyas..

So....the replacement 240SX will be here in about a week or so (I will take pictures and post them) and it is automatic and I still have my ole' monster sitting, getting ready to meet the auto..

So....what should I expect with the driving of this auto. On the sale, it is reported that the OD can "forget" to engage at times and a simple turning off of the key will reset it.

How durable is the automatic with the stock engine with 170K + miles?

Just observances please...I just want some interaction on what to expect as far a slippage, how long they last, what care and feeding I should do to the automatic tranny once I get the car and so forth.

humor me, lets talk about your experiences with automatics up to and including they have no rev. limiter or top speed governer.

Let me have it please....(Knowledge is useful now...I don't ask much..)

(Full report once I drive it to compare as well)

The point is...I dont expect much...but I do not want to be surpirised either. You know...what brand flid change and so forth and drivability, shift speeds etc..

crioten
12-15-2003, 11:41 PM
bill,

this is on a 91 240. right now i have an auto and i neglect it like nothing else, i dont think the tranny fluid has ever been changed. ive remove the little clip in the engine bay all the time (the one that make it shift harder). and ive my fair share of nuetral drops. ive also driven it home after getting my lower auto tranny hose pulled out of the radiator, so there was alost no fluid in the tranny (it was slipping the whole time)...i dont really care too much about it, im doing a 5-spd swap later this month

needless to say i punished the hell out of it, and it is still one of the strongest things in my car...ive never had a single problem with it ...i wouldnt really worry about it (most likley its a OD wire touching something wet or whatever)

just my .02

-glen

old_s13
12-16-2003, 10:24 AM
anything over 150k with an auto is not good, mine started to show signs of near-death around 160k. I always maintained it, changed the fluid (in the pan, not TQ converter) and well, drove the living shit out of it.

I didnt really do any neutral drops, thats not the wisest thing to do with an auto. I did occasional brake-stands but CONSANTLY would shift through the gears.

160k is what I got out of mine. get a 5-speed for insurance, that way you can just swap when it dies.