PDA

View Full Version : gutted cat = check engine light?

aznxplayer
12-15-2003, 05:19 PM
i just gutted my cat since it was broken and after about a week of driving with it the check engine light came on for no apparent reason....my friend pulled a few drifts in my car and after that it came on....but i dont think that had anything to do with it...any help please?
btw: im new to this forum

tchenku
12-15-2003, 06:22 PM
what year is the car?

SES light should come on in OBDII cars

thelinja
12-15-2003, 07:07 PM
Check the code and see what the ECU throws.

aznxplayer
12-16-2003, 11:02 PM
its a 1991 240sx le

well im hoping that its the gutted cat since i want rims before i get a new full cat exhaust

i think ill pull the ecu tommorow or on friday but thanks for all the help for a noob

thelinja
12-16-2003, 11:06 PM
You might try going to Autozone to see if they'll check the code for you. They checked mine for free, but I have an OBDII '95. That'll at least save you the trouble of pulling the ECU.

Var
12-17-2003, 02:05 AM
A quick way to see if it is cat related is to check under the car for an 02 sensor. There is obviously one at the exhaust manifold
(pre-cat) . If there is one after the cat(post-cat) then the MIL came on for a reason...that second 02 sensor is a catalyst effiency sensor. It senses if the cat is doing it's job or not. Last i remember my 240 didnt have a post cat 02 sensor so i dont think that's your problem.

aznxplayer
12-23-2003, 02:44 PM
okay well the light turned off i dunno what i did just one day.....it turned off...i didnt check the ecu because ive been sorta lazy recently and my friends just told me to drive my damn car lol...sooo....no more annoying check engine light