PDA

View Full Version : Don't put your hardware in a dirty hole! ARP head stud, main stud install trick

tunermt
11-13-2011, 02:11 AM
I'm sure this is not a new idea to most of you, just thought i'd share this simple little DIY trick with my favorite message board! Great free way to prep threads before installing new hardware such as ARP head studs, main studs, rod bolts etc.

Brewed Motorsports How to clean threads for free before installing new hardware for engine building, EG: cylinder head, rods, main studs, etc. (http://brewedmotorsports.com/site/DIY%20and%20How%20To%20Info/Free_diy_how_to_clean_threads_for_cylinder_head_ma in_stud_ARP_hardware_install_brewed_motorsports.ht ml)

Hope this helps someone :)

http://brewedmotorsports.com/assets/DIY/Cleaning_threads_diy_for_free.jpg

j20accord00
11-13-2011, 02:38 AM
That's pretty cool..i used air and some brakeclean on mine but I like that way idea way better

jr_ss
11-13-2011, 09:07 AM
I chase the threads with a tap, then blow them out with brake clean and air.

tunermt
11-13-2011, 11:01 PM
what ever it takes to get a clean hole and threads!

harrypotter
11-13-2011, 11:20 PM
I am no machinist, but think putting a damaged/modified bolt in a hole like that is a very bad idea!

rcdad123
11-13-2011, 11:26 PM
i use the same trick on semi stripped spark plug holes. i cut two grooves using a cutting wheel on a die grinder on an old spark plug and coat it with anti seize to capture the shavings. done it a few times with good results.

tunermt
11-14-2011, 12:16 AM
I am no machinist, but think putting a damaged/modified bolt in a hole like that is a very bad idea!

Just inspect the threads on the bolt for damage/crossing before threading it in (as with any piece of hardware) Of course you will also want to do this by hand so you can feel for any binding or "tuff" spots" of any sort.

One benefit to this technique vs using a tap set is the modified bolt will not cut the threads like a tap does it will only scrap them clean of any debris.

Don't worry my friend so long you use some common sense when it comes to force needed while threading the bolt in and out you won't have any problems ;)

*** NOTE*** You would not ever want to re use the modified piece of hardware for anything but cleaning threads

tunermt
11-15-2011, 08:58 AM
anyone have a picture of the dirty modified hard "cleaning hardware"?

NoPistons!
11-26-2011, 05:55 PM
That's smart. I'll have to try that. Thanks!

codyace
11-26-2011, 06:27 PM
This is a great shop tip for sure; something I actually leaned in the military. It's a handy trick!

tunermt
04-29-2012, 10:30 PM
Just used this again the other day as finding some tools here in Thailand can be a huge pain in the A$$

Very interesting to hear you also learned this trick in the military, I suppose it would come in handy for any field work/repairs that need to happen away from a shop full of tools.

Chaluska
05-02-2012, 12:57 PM
I just use my de-greaser air gun to blow all of the crap out of there..

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/15545_lg.jpg
i totally agree with the previous poster, that i wouldnt shove a modified bolt into the block.. i would hate to strip it out

tunermt
05-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Yes a de greaser gun works great to get the bulk of the crap out. This is something you would do after you blow out the hole/threads with a de greaser gun. The gun alone will never clean out all the crap in the threads.

i totally agree with the previous poster, that i wouldnt shove a modified bolt into the block.. i would hate to strip it out
i would never recommend "shoving" anything into an engine, this should all be done with care and lube. The modified bolt should thread in and out with your hand/fingers if it is taking more force something is wrong.

This is a tried and proven method for cleaning threads, I'm not posting up a new idea here by any means ;) Any one who's spent a good amount of time in a machine shop will verify.

tunermt
06-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Result picture

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ypHb7LZ9POo/T9VQEPlCmEI/AAAAAAAABjQ/kiUP2mv49tg/s639/modified_bolt_thread_cleaning.jpg

dawagarage
06-11-2012, 02:08 AM
this thread blew spambot jason8's mind!

i like this trick, never heard of it before!
however, i wonder if there is any detriment in using this trick specifically with USED torque to yield fasteners. since torque to yield bolts are stretched when required torque is applied, perhaps it could damage the threads in the bolt/stud hole?

i have no idea, just something that came to mind

tunermt
06-12-2012, 12:25 AM
Not a bad thought at all my friend! however the "stretching" of hardware is so minute it should not effect how the hardware threads into something (for example rod bolt stretch is normally .003-.006")
Of course always be careful, and remember it should not take much force/effort to thread one of these modified pieces of hardware in or out.

dawagarage
06-12-2012, 12:32 AM
lol 3-6 thousandths of an inch. yeah id say thats pretty minute. but, you know how wondering & wandering minds liike to exaggerate, making little things into big deals.

tunermt
06-13-2012, 07:35 PM
Always good to think about every variable though ;)