PDA

View Full Version : I need help identifying this noise. (KA24E) *VIDEO INSIDE*

2_slow_40
11-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Ok, so I just picked up another hatch, after a year away from S-Chassis.
It's just a beater to mess around with for now. Anyways, I've been focused on fixing and adjusting a bunch of other stuff for the last week, and now that I've got it running pretty good, it's time to tackle this weird noise. I don't know what the hell it is, but it's annoying as fuhh!!! I've searched through piles and heaps of threads and videos, and I can't seem to find anything even close to this noise. I'm hoping that maybe some of you guys have ran into this before, and figured out what it was. I was told to "ignore it, it's a 20 year old car", but I can't, and won't.

*VIDEO BELOW*

It's hard to tell, but it sounds like it's coming from around the head. I initially thought it was coming from under the valve cover, so I took the oil cap off, and it's definitely not coming from there.
It's not there at idle, but when I give it some gas, you can hear it. It seems like it gets a little louder and faster as the rpms go up.

Any ideas??

-Sorry for the paragraph. Thanks for any help.
Cody

Vimeo, Video Sharing For You (http://vimeo.com/)31929503

brizanden
11-10-2011, 05:29 PM
clutch fan?

2_slow_40
11-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Well, the clutch isn't siezed, if that's what you mean..?
It's not the normal 'siezed fan clutch noise'.
Maybe it's squeaking or something.? I'm gonna check it out when I replace the belts; see if the noise is still there with the fan and clutch removed.

RedSiBaron
11-10-2011, 05:51 PM
it almost sounds like a vibration in a way, because it doesnt seem to matter the RPMS once you are revving it. though a clutch fan could also make sense possibly, though i've never had a car with a bad clutch fan to tell you what it sounds like :/ helpful right?

pull the belt off the fan clutch and start the car to see if it goes away

2_slow_40
11-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Yea, that's what it seems like; either something is loose, or broken, and vibrating, but the question is: What in the world is it??? I just can't pin point the exact area it's coming from. :|

I'm gonna pull the fan clutch off tomorrow, and start it up. It gets dark so freaking early now!!! I really don't think that's it, but we'll see, I guess.

I've never heard of a fan clutch making any weird noises, other than when it's seized up and rotating at the same rpm as the engine, in which case, it's not really the clutch making a noise... Just heck-of-wind speed!!!!:eek:

Thanks for the replies, by the way.

F20cS13
11-10-2011, 07:45 PM
That sounds like friction. Metal friction.

Have you looked under the valve cover to see that your cams, chain look like?

Ive seen over tightened belts make a similar noise, but with a bit more sqeak to them.

Your engine sound was pretty spot on lol.

2_slow_40
11-10-2011, 09:28 PM
I planned on pulling the valve cover off and scopin' shigg out, but when I took the oil cap off, it really didn't sound like the sound was coming from inside.. Idk though, that's just my logic..

Lol, I was surprised at how well I managed to imitate the sound with my mouth..
Almost perfect, right..? Haha

2_slow_40
11-11-2011, 09:22 AM
Oh, something I forgot to mention before; I did an oil change right away after bringing the car home, after noticing that the oil was nasty, and that it was way high on the dip stick. Anyways, about 5.5 quarts of oil came out of that thing, when there's only supposed to be 4... (Previous owners are always morons, in my experience).

So, now I'm thinking that maybe this noise is possibly 'too much oil' related..? I'm just guessing. I don't know enough about it, so I'll go do some research on the subject.

wangan_cruiser
11-11-2011, 11:59 AM
it might be an exhaust leak. check your exhaust manifold stud see if theres any one of them are missing. my zenki made sound similar to that and i found 3 bolts were missing. just to throw that out there.

2_slow_40
11-11-2011, 08:25 PM
I didn't have any time to check it out at all today, but tomorrow morning I'm definitely getting to the bottom of this..

@Wangan: I've had busted manifold studs on my old coupe, and I don't remember it sounding quite like this.. But it's been so long, I really don't remember how it sounded, lol. I'll definitely check that out though.. Thanks for the tip!!

2_slow_40
11-17-2011, 05:23 PM
So, I definitely failed at getting to the bottom of this, and I am very annoyed...
I've checked everything that I could think of, and I've only eliminated a hand full of stuffs. It's not the fan clutch, alternator, power-steering, belt tensioners, or the exhaust manifold.. However, I was missing 4 manifold bolts/studs; Replaced them, and it's still there.

I have no idea what the muck is going on. I noticed that it doesn't do it until I let it warm up for about 1-2 mins; After that, I hear it all day.

I've tried listening with a hollow tube, all over the place, but I just can not find it.
Still seems like it's coming from under the valve cover, but it's really hard to tell...

There's gotta be someone who's had this noise before...??