PDA

View Full Version : Best OEM shocks

twitchy
12-14-2003, 11:33 PM
hey

I need new back shocks in the spring. I dont want to lower the car (if you saw the roads where i live you would understand)

and was wondering what anyone uses for OEM replacement shocks. The manual for my car gives a description of changing them that seems as though I could do it myself..Anyone try and tackle this before??

Chernobyl
12-15-2003, 12:35 AM
Tokico HP and KYB GR-2 are both good stock replacements. Changing rear dampers is easy, you just need a spring compressor.

misnomer
12-15-2003, 11:34 AM
It's not a hard task, borrow a spring compressor from your auto parts store and go to town :P

KYB GR2s are a great replacement. A smidge better than factory, feels great on stock springs (put them on my sister's car). Tokico Blues (HPs) are great too, a little bit more expensive, and noticibly stiffer (put them on my car).

twitchy
12-16-2003, 09:38 AM
the rear doesnt have springs though does it?

misnomer
12-16-2003, 09:46 AM
Of course it does :P They both are springs coiled around the shock body. If you are going to do this yourself, you'll see what we mean when you take off your rear wheel.

twitchy
12-16-2003, 02:15 PM
i must be on dope..I thought there were no springs in the rear.....

guess Ill have to take spring-compression 101

Flybert
12-16-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by twitchy
Anyone try and tackle this before??

Twitchy, you are pure comedy man. This is a 240 board and you're asking if anyone has ever messed around with their suspension. I don't have as many posts as you but suspension seems to be one of the main topics discussed here everyday my friend.

Also, OEM shocks would be OEM shocks that you would buy from Nissan. What you are looking for is aftermarket shocks seeing as OEM stands for Original Equipment Meaclasd;lfkh (Only the first part matters anyways).

If you are looking for some good aftermarked shocks, go with Koni Sports. Quality stuff. I drove around with them for a while and loved them but upgraded for some coilovers. Installation is harder on Konis for the fronts because they are inserts so you have to put them in your original strut housing.

Installation shouldn't take you more than a few hours on your first try. Get under there and start taking a look at things and you'll see that it's easy. 5 bolts for the front and 3 for the back. Easy as pie.