PDA

View Full Version : How do you prep a bare interior for paint?

Fred Allen Burge
11-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Getting ready to paint my coupe (first paint job I've done), want to start with the interior metal first (already stripped the interior). I'm changing from champagne to white. How should I prepare the interior, do I need to sand every square inch and every nook and cranny? What about the sound deadening material on the floor, it's got a texture to it, I don't think I can sand down in those type of spots.

Any helpful tips appreciated!

Thanks,
Fred

RichieSR20
11-08-2011, 04:54 PM
The best way to go would be to completely remove the sound deadening. Dry ice and a hammer does the trick. Then just clean it really good, I used Simple Green and a large rough brush with a big handle and just scrubbed everything before I painted mine...

dans
11-10-2011, 11:25 PM
Dry ice has proven useful on sound deadening. Hammer and chisel work for some as well.

Simple green is good but it will EAT aluminum so be careful. Scotchbrite pads work VERY well for this sort of work too.

If you want to show the car a self etching primer would be a plus but otherwise simple off white rattle cans work super well for race cars. If it is for a race car you may want to get a light coat of paint down before you do the cage if you are dealing with a rust prone chassis in a damp area. Then when you go to weld it up simple blast the paint off with an angle grinder with a sanding pad and go to work.

What are you doing with the car anyway?

Odysseus
11-11-2011, 04:40 AM
Dry ice the sound deadening out, wirewheel the tar leftover, then clean it all with a lacquer thinner. Paint.

va240dude
11-11-2011, 04:48 AM
I approve of dry ice and the scotch brite pads! How's your build coming Fred? It's been a while since I sold you those mint projectors and grill! I want to see pics of whatever secret weapon you're working on! Build thread build thread build thread.

Fred Allen Burge
11-11-2011, 08:24 AM
I approve of dry ice and the scotch brite pads! How's your build coming Fred? It's been a while since I sold you those mint projectors and grill! I want to see pics of whatever secret weapon you're working on! Build thread build thread build thread.

Hey Matt, still working on it slowly between business projects and finishing the new garage. Got the shell stripped down bare, ready to start sanding and painting in the next couple weeks hopefully. Those silvia headlights are epic, I showed them off to all my friends they were so clean! I still need some nice corner lights if you have anything.

This car is not a race car so no cage, although I intend to drag race it a bit. It's being built to take out and play on nice days, show off at meets and terrorize some corvettes. I'm not going to take out any sound deadening, I'll probably be adding in more actually, I love a quite solid feeling car.

So it sounds like scotchbrite, clean and degrease then paint should do it then? Sweet!

firelizard
11-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Nobody here scuffs with more than Scotchbrite? I've always balked at prepping a whole interior because I'd be inclined to thoroughly scuff the whole thing with red pads.

fightinchunk
11-11-2011, 10:29 AM
u don't, just throw a couple of these in there n you're good to go
http://www.reddotpaintball.com/files/934302/uploaded/product_grenade.jpg

godrifttoday
11-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Use green scotch brite. Thats 600 grit . If u user the brown scotch brite it's like 320 grit , Just put more emfasis on where u would actually be at. Like where ur foot would be and stuff like that

FLMadness
11-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Nobody here scuffs with more than Scotchbrite? I've always balked at prepping a whole interior because I'd be inclined to thoroughly scuff the whole thing with red pads.
I would do this. redpads have just the right grit and will be easier to get in places sandpaper wont

240Shwag
11-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Dry ice has proven useful on sound deadening. Hammer and chisel work for some as well.

Simple green is good but it will EAT aluminum so be careful. Scotchbrite pads work VERY well for this sort of work too.

If you want to show the car a self etching primer would be a plus but otherwise simple off white rattle cans work super well for race cars. If it is for a race car you may want to get a light coat of paint down before you do the cage if you are dealing with a rust prone chassis in a damp area. Then when you go to weld it up simple blast the paint off with an angle grinder with a sanding pad and go to work.

What are you doing with the car anyway?

Etch primer is for bare metal only and its not waterproof. :picardfp:

Your best bet is a 2K epoxy primer. Some are reducable and will yeild a sealer.

So yeah.
Scuff.
Prime if you want it all one color.
Seal.
Base.
Clear.

godrifttoday
11-11-2011, 02:06 PM
^
U forgot color sand, and buff

1jzjoey
11-11-2011, 02:33 PM
im surprised people arnt flaming you for not looking it up for yourself, maybe not all zilvia members are asshats

dans
11-13-2011, 06:31 AM
Etch primer is for bare metal only and its not waterproof. :picardfp:

Your best bet is a 2K epoxy primer. Some are reducable and will yeild a sealer.

So yeah.
Scuff.
Prime if you want it all one color.
Seal.
Base.
Clear.

Listen up Picard! Dude says BARE interior and STRIPPED. I guess I was thinking he WAS down to bare metal. :mepoke:

maces13
11-11-2013, 05:35 AM
I used freezer packs (they don't melt) and a chisel/hammer to get it all off. Its going to take time anyway you do it. Also took the angle grinder and cut and or smoothen all the extra shit that needed it. I'm working on getting a cage in there so I didn't need to keep some of the OEM support structure. Good luck