PDA

View Full Version : lowering springs

MAHALOHAWAII
11-02-2011, 04:16 PM
anyone know which springs give the biggest drop? im looking towards about 2 inches or anything close to it or exceeds it.

mitcheyismyname
11-02-2011, 04:30 PM
MahaloHawaiiFam? From FH?

Anyway, I had tokico springs before, gave roughly a 1.5 inch drop, I read somewhere that Megan Racing springs are one of the springs that go the lowest...

Lmk if you need reference pics.

zooopreme
11-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Lowering springs suck, even when they settle, you'll get 1.75" of drop at most. I would strongly suggest getting coilovers.

But if you must go with Eibach Sportline, they're alright.

Pandapants
11-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Eibach Sportlines i think are the only off the shelf spring that offers a 2"+ drop. The only problem is that there isn't an off the shelf damper that can accommodate an aggressive drop like that. If you're going for >1.5" drop, you might want to invest in coilovers.

Zenki_516
11-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Don't waste your money on springs, because as soon as you put them on you are only gonna wish you could go lower. Just save up, do it right, and buy coilovers.

slider2828
11-02-2011, 05:58 PM
Save and get coilovers, won't blow struts in 6 months.

MAHALOHAWAII
11-02-2011, 08:05 PM
I was thinking of coilovers then I looked at the total value of parts I wanna buy and this is just basic stuff I'm looking at about 5-6 gs. Any money saved can help down the road you know?

Zenki_516
11-02-2011, 08:12 PM
I was thinking of coilovers then I looked at the total value of parts I wanna buy and this is just basic stuff I'm looking at about 5-6 gs. Any money saved can help down the road you know?

I understand that you want to set a reasonable budget and save money where you can, but a proper suspension setup can make or break a car. You can get a fairly good set of coils for around 1200. Trust me, spend money where it counts.

qwerth
11-02-2011, 08:44 PM
yeah +1 for coils

you could put away the 200 something that your gonna spend for springs and put it towards some nice entry level coils

colombianbryan
11-02-2011, 09:41 PM
coilovers son!!! bc is a good brand and awesome prices if you dont want to get too expensive!

KOUKIboy
11-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Yeap!!! get coils, get mad drops, better handling, and your ride wont feel like a boat....

Tempo
11-03-2011, 02:31 AM
im driving on a set of tokico blues/megans in the back and stock shock/megans in the front , they ride pretty nice, considering theyre blown and i bought them off a buddy for 20 dollars lol, im pretty happy with them until i get coilovers, pretty good drop for now.

edit: not as bouncy as everyone says , driven a buddys stock shock/cut springs integra, little bouncy but i could bare with it, though i wouldn't recommend cutting >____>

MAHALOHAWAII
11-03-2011, 08:21 AM
any recommendations on coilovers that are high quality but also well priced?

badbob2121
11-03-2011, 08:26 AM
Yeap!!! get coils

coilovers son!!

yeah +1 for coils

Save and get coilovers,

buy coilovers.

you might want to invest in coilovers.

. I would strongly suggest getting coilovers.

there are also going to be big sales from most of the popular websites for thanksgiving... so you could always wait and save some cash during the sales

SR20Driftking4lyf
11-03-2011, 08:27 AM

Check out PBM...Defiantly bang for the buck IMO.

remi
11-03-2011, 09:47 AM
Look into BC Racing coilovers, Megan Racing coilovers and KSport. PBM are a great coilover, stiffer than other mentioned brands but they're also competition coilovers, so that's exactly what you get. I've got PBM and love them, but I wanted a stiffer setup for drift. You can get budget minded suspension arm setups from enjuku like their ISIS products or others such as Circuit Sport and Megan Racing as well. Definitely check out www.poweredbymax.net (http://www.poweredbymax.net) for some amazing products! Keep in mind to constantly check the advertiser specials and sales suspension section for great deals as well.

Zenki_516
11-03-2011, 09:53 AM

I run Dmax and I love them... Daily or drifting they are great for the price.

zooopreme
11-03-2011, 10:33 AM

For entry level coilovers, Stance, Fortune Auto, Dmax, & PBM are best bang for your buck.

However, of the 4, I prefer Fortune Auto over all four. The customer support is great & they're prices for services are pretty great too. Not the biggest fan of PBM's ride quality (for public road use) but they do offer the lowest ride adjustment.

Coming from the islands, I think with their price rates, it'll probably be beneficial to your wallet in the long run as well.

nismoracingsx
11-03-2011, 12:39 PM
PBM has been out of stock for some time, but their products are great price/quality.
I wanted to buy a set of their coilovers, but they were out of stock for so long that I decided to go with fortune auto = ). If you're looking to go low, avoid the super low end coilovers, as most of them do not adjust lower than most lowering springs (ie godspeed and isis).

!Zar!
11-03-2011, 02:34 PM
If you are buying lowering springs, best believe that you need new shocks as well.

Add those parts up and you might as well have purchased coilovers from the get-go.

MAHALOHAWAII
11-03-2011, 04:14 PM
great advice! so im thinking well actually its kinda hard... i need a set for my 240 and one for my 350. 350 is the daily driver and 240 is the weekend warrior. any advice on which to run on which car?

oh and both will sport varrstoen es 2.2.1 hyper black

18X9.5+12 FRONT
18X10.5+15 REAR

slowvia
11-03-2011, 04:23 PM
For springs with the biggest drop no one beats Skunk2, I had a set for about 6 months before I got coilovers. They were fairly cheap, dropped about 2.25 inches or so and the ride quality was actually pretty good.
As far as coils go, I would recommend Stance or Fortune Auto. Personally Id love to get my hands on a set of Stance LX+ if they still make em.

h2v7
11-03-2011, 05:02 PM
dont do it

just dont do it

fliprayzin240sx
11-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Tanabe drop springs....

Spring Break '92
11-04-2011, 06:10 AM
For springs and shocks, RSR race springs with Koni yellows make a nice, tolerable ride for daily but will not get you low. Had Fortune Auto coils been available in 08 when I did mine I would have got a set. Coils are pretty much the standard, but if you are dead set on springs/shocks the aforementioned setup is probably the best you are going to be able to find. At the time I was dead set on having Koni's on my car. Basically I still am. At this point, if I wanted to go lower/higher rates, I would get a set of Ground Control perches and springs.

nismoracingsx
11-04-2011, 06:29 AM
+1 on the skunk2 springs, I have them on the wife's coupe and with agx's on a softer setting they're plently comfortable. pretty decent drop.

Zach-sr
11-04-2011, 07:23 AM
I have megan springs. 2" drop and the ride quality is unbelievable for the price, and I really do enjoy them..... However... Coil-overs are all around better and your desire for a lower car and go cart like handling will never be satisfied with-out them. I think you will be VERY surprised how well your car will handle with just coils and RUCA's. This set up would only cost $1300.

Darren
11-04-2011, 07:45 AM
if you plan on doing any motorsports with your "weekend warrior" you'll be going through shocks like crazy ... probably 2 - 3 sets a year in the front and at least 1-2 in the back on a super low spring...

a 1/2 decent set of coilovers will last a min of 1-2 years of constant abuse before needing rebuilding or replacing...

Seems obvious to me that the better value is in the coilovers...

And that's ignoring that most standard strut / springs combos don't have near the adjustability of even a low end to moderate coilover setup..

The choice is yours, but if you're after bang for your buck, then the choice is pretty clear...

AMPZ
11-04-2011, 08:06 AM
Had to sell my coils due to tickets, and had to put my Tein lowering springs n aftermarket struts back on. Lets just say I would have rather had my license suspended then see my car like this. Save for coils, and do it right the first time!

Chaluska
11-04-2011, 08:07 AM
i got a used set of agx's and tein s-tech,

heres how it sits once broken in... and after a few months of driving, the shocks still have adjustable stiffness, and they arent blown..

the rears "sit" really high on my car, because the fender flares are raised about an inch higher than the oem fender line.

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/2802/imag0229g.jpg