PDA

View Full Version : General Questions I can't find no where else

Grelkj
10-21-2011, 07:57 PM
I have a 1991 240sx with a 1998 Blacktop sr20, I was thinking that the 1998 sr20's are considered a s14 motor right? Well I want to buy some parts for the car but I can't really tell what should I get, do I get the s14 intake manifold or the s13 one? as for my intercooler kit do I get s13 piping or s14 piping? Sorry I am 17, this is my first car, and I just want to do things right. I have google the topic many times and I just can't seem to find any questions like this in specific. Also is it possible to achieve 350hp with just bolt ons? I would like to start building up my car and 400 hp is the highest I want to go. Here are my mods thus far.

FMIC
Manual Boost Controller(Set to 12lbs)
Godspeed Radiator 2 Core
Dual Eletric Fans
Walbro Fuel Pump
Z32 Fuel Filter
Apexi Catback
One Piece Driveshaft
Welded Diff
Monoso Coilovers
SAFC-2
SPARCO Driver Seat
S14 Passenger Seat
Battery Relocator
Triple Pod Gauge AC Vent
Glow Shift Guages 7 Different Color
1) Boost Guage
2) Water Temp
3) Wideband
Strut Bar:
Front and Rear
S13 SE:
Front 60%
Rears 90%

slydin240sx
10-21-2011, 08:04 PM
:picardfp: :lockd:

jesse_s13
10-21-2011, 08:41 PM
You have 8k just to spend on parts?

Grelkj
10-21-2011, 08:49 PM
Actually yes its money I have been saving up since I got my Hardship License when I turned 15, I wanted a car that I would never get tired of and trade in, RWD 5speed turbo, and a car I could say was mine and not the dealerships or banks, like I said I know they are some dumb questions but I really do need some direct advice on this, as I will only be able to do this once, otherwise it will be another two years lol, this was basically my senior gift to myself and I want to have it done by the end of my senior year.

Copilot911
10-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Year doesn't matter, I have a 98 S13 SR in my 240. You can easily tell if its an S14 or S13 SR just by looking at it. Does it have VCT? If yes its an S14 sr.

also use this thread next time

http://zilvia.net/f/chat/297481-small-questions-thread-search-first-use-instead-making-new-threads.html

trainkiller
10-21-2011, 08:58 PM
dude -____- im 17 too but wtf. I would highly advise you to learn nissan before going for 350 horsepower....

and 350 hp is eassssy just get a t28 and bigger injectors....But there is also many threads on the info your looking for.

and yes it is a S14 SR

:picardfp:

Metal Angel
10-21-2011, 09:05 PM
dude -____- im 17 too but wtf. I would highly advise you to learn nissan before going for 350 horsepower....

and 350 hp is eassssy just get a t28 and bigger injectors....But there is also many threads on the info your looking for.

and yes it is a S14 SR

Woah! Easy there... It's not an S14 SR just because it's from a 98. The 180sx was made until 98, so it could easily be an S13 SR. In fact, I see more blacktop SRs (95 up s13 SR) than S14 SRs.

trainkiller
10-21-2011, 09:13 PM
true true. but its easily identifiable. but i would honestly keep the car how it is....but hey to each his own..

i am going on to my 3rd 240 soon and it has a sr

fliprayzin240sx
10-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Yup, you can make 350hp with a stock T28...SYKE!!!

But in all seriousness...first and foremost, you're 17 and this is your first car. LAST THING YOU NEED IS A 350WHP CAR. Learn to drive the car for what it is first, hell, learn just to drive first. When I say drive, I don't mean drive like you're going to the mall to hang out. Hit up some track events, drive the piss out of it until you get comfortable and get the fundamentals of the car. Plus leaving it stock will give you the benefit of less shit breaking which can be a shock to a 17 yr old's pocket.

trainkiller
10-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Yup, you can make 350hp with a stock T28...SYKE!!!

But in all seriousness...first and foremost, you're 17 and this is your first car. LAST THING YOU NEED IS A 350WHP CAR. Learn to drive the car for what it is first, hell, learn just to drive first. When I say drive, I don't mean drive like you're going to the mall to hang out. Hit up some track events, drive the piss out of it until you get comfortable and get the fundamentals of the car. Plus leaving it stock will give you the benefit of less shit breaking which can be a shock to a 17 yr old's pocket.

i blew up my single cam, driving , silly me

Grelkj
10-21-2011, 09:42 PM
lol yea I guess your right, but sadly there are no track events other than a dirt track and a oval track here in Corpus Christi tx, me and my friends usually grab some cones and go out to the abandon airport to "test the tread on our tires", and I do need an intercooler since the one I have now is cracked, and I need a new exaust manifold or some paint cuz I hate the rusty look of it. if I wanted to get a whole new intercooler kit I would get one for the s13 right? I might have a boost leak because of that right? When I floor my car the boost guage hits 12 psi and goes slowly down to 8 and stays there, also my vaccum reads 16 and I believe its suppose to read 20, and sometimes when I floor it and shift into nuetral the motor will sound like its about to die but recovers. Again sorry for swamping you guys with questions.

Grelkj
10-21-2011, 09:43 PM
i blew up my single cam, driving , silly me

Haha I dropped the KA when I did the motor swap.

trainkiller
10-21-2011, 09:58 PM
almost sounds like a boost leak to me my friend had the same problem but he keep blowing his charge pipe. also i just looked your other threads and that is a s13 SR.

but i would do a boost leak test and a vaccum leak test

some another thing you could check is if the vaccum line to your blow off is damaged

Grelkj
10-21-2011, 10:17 PM
Thanks it good to know that I have an actual s13 sr20, I was wondering since they did not make any s13's in 98', I will take a look it it tomorrow when the sun is out and report what I see.

kalypso123
10-21-2011, 10:37 PM
OP you should search for build threads, that meet the power goals you want.

you're not going to find you're answers this way.

EsChassisLove
10-21-2011, 10:45 PM
Year doesn't matter, I have a 98 S13 SR in my 240. You can easily tell if its an S14 or S13 SR just by looking at it. Does it have VCT? If yes its an S14 sr.

also use this thread next time

http://zilvia.net/f/chat/297481-small-questions-thread-search-first-use-instead-making-new-threads.html

How is he gonna know it has VTC just looking at it?

Does your manifold fold up or down? if up its s14..if down its s13

is your CAS at the front or side of your valve cover? if side...s13. if front s14/15.

Is there a 45* slant at the back of your valve cover? if not...s13. if so...s14/15

And a few other things but those are the easiest.

Copilot911
10-21-2011, 10:47 PM
Thanks it good to know that I have an actual s13 sr20, I was wondering since they did not make any s13's in 98', I will take a look it it tomorrow when the sun is out and report what I see.

yes they did, its called a 180sx...

dude you need to research your shit a lot better, being 17 isn't an excuse to be ignorant about shit

Grelkj
10-21-2011, 10:50 PM
OP you should search for build threads, that meet the power goals you want.

you're not going to find you're answers this way.

Well thats what I am going to do now that I know what type of sr it is, when I bought the motor I got it off some guy that was not very bright when it came to cars, the pics in the my other thread is from the first day I droped it in, the guy ran it with no air filter and no oil breather, he didn't really have much to say about it lol, but hell $220 is a hell of a price.

Grelkj
10-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the thread EsChassicLove I am going to bookmark that and read it right now, and Copilot whats with the shitty attitude if you don't like the thread then you can easily hit the back arrow at the top of your browser and go try to make someone else feel like shit

Copilot911
10-21-2011, 11:02 PM
Dude im not trying to make you feel like shit but why wouldn't you even hit up the SR20DET wikipedia page before making a thread?

Tempo
10-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the thread EsChassicLove I am going to bookmark that and read it right now, and Copilot whats with the shitty attitude if you don't like the thread then you can easily hit the back arrow at the top of your browser and go try to make someone else feel like shit

he's not trying to make you feel like shit, he's just telling you the obvious solution to your question, surprised this thread didn't get flamed or ultra bashed yet, slow night maybe? but still you should lurk more and if anything there's a small question thread you could have went to, it was posted by Copilot911.

Grelkj
10-21-2011, 11:28 PM
Either way I am new to the whole fourm thing period, and I really didn't think about the wiki thing sorry, I am just trying to find out why my motor is acting this way since I can't find any other solutions to the problem, I replaced the inter cooler twice, bought a whole new computer since the other one was faulty, I haven't got around to the boost and vacuum test since I have not had the time to make one nor do I have access to a air compressor

boost addict
10-21-2011, 11:30 PM
i looked through your threads and see no pics of your motor, post one up. and like flip said no you cant make 350whp on a t28 or with bolt ons. to make 400 you will easily dip into thousands. and a shit load more if your motor isnt in good condition so like someone said compression and leak down test it

Grelkj
10-21-2011, 11:42 PM
Its not pretty at all lol, but I am off to a good start, it runs and doesn't leave me stranded anywhere:) *knock on wood*

boost addict
10-21-2011, 11:50 PM
ok i guess that was your motor, yea s13 blacktop, and for fuck sake put a filter on that thing...

Grelkj
10-21-2011, 11:56 PM
ok i guess that was your motor, yea s13 blacktop, and for fuck sake put a filter on that thing...

lol as I said that was the day I dropped it in, but since then I have cleaned it up and replaced most of the zip ties with actual clamps, and replaced all the gaskets. I will take some updated pics tomarrow in the morning and post them to this thread

boost addict
10-22-2011, 12:05 AM
no i mean an air filter on your intake, wtf is that metal polished thing?

Grelkj
10-22-2011, 12:07 AM
My bad forgot to add that, yea I have a filter on there, the guy before me aparently didn't run one...., what polished thing?

EsChassisLove
10-22-2011, 12:15 AM
It makes the turbo sound louder lol

boost addict
10-22-2011, 12:20 AM
alright good and nvm, just drive that thing for a while and get use to it. research your ass off and save money and figure put what you really wanna do. dont just jump into it, thats where you start wasting money. who knows maybe your thoughts will change and youll want wheels and suspension instead of performance parts.

Grelkj
10-22-2011, 12:32 AM
Alright man thanks for the help

EnemyS15
10-22-2011, 08:38 AM
Yeah, I agree with a couple of guys in here... 17yrs old starting off with a 350+ hp sr is trying to run before crawling. Especially when you don't know much about this set up.

Start doing some more fundamental researching about the motor/car. Know about it's spec's, what it has and doesn't have (vvt?? ,t25 or t28?, does it have V-Tec or does it not have it? hmmm lol) Find some others around your area that have a sr set up and ask them general questions. Local shops, on their down time or free time could be ok with asking a couple of questions. But there is so much on Sr on le webs, that there isn't ANYTHING you need to know about an Sr that hasn't been already asked! Just got to know where to search and how to search for it.

These forum guys are like great whites. They sense a drop of blood a mile away!!! Do not jump into these waters and give them a reason to eat you up. Do the leg work first and then when you hit a complete dead end... ask, but be tactful and you more thank likely will get the help you need....

good luck kid, don't blow this motor up doing dumb shit and remember to follow up with it's routine maintenance! I know @17 I wasn't the most responsible kid around... Warped the head on my Zc motor and blew up the turbo x2! Lessons you learn from the school of hard knocks !