PDA

View Full Version : ABS Driveshaft with NON ABS Differential (Welded Diff)

hellaslows13
10-18-2011, 05:12 AM
Hey guys, I really need some help. I did some searching around but have found a ton of mixed answers that did not answer my question.

I have a 95' SE with ABS. I have an ABS Drive shaft. I replaced my ABS VLSD with a NON ABS Welded diff. I also installed subframe risers and new poly diff bushings. I noticed that there was a gap between my diff and driveshaft and was wondering, how bad is it to drive it with the drive shaft being pulled on? I've been driving like this for a few months, what could i have damaged? Also, what can I do to be able to run my welded non ABS diff on my ABS car? Do I just changed the drive shaft to a NON ABS?

I appreciate all the help, thanks.

onehundredoctane
10-18-2011, 06:01 AM
My S14 is non-abs, I installed a vlsd from an abs car, when I did that I had to replace the back half of the oem two piece drive shaft. The abs and non-abs driveshafts are a little different in lenght.

I eventually upgraded to a one piece driveshaft, but turns out it was for a non abs car, having an abs diff installed I ended up having to get the driveshaft cut 1" shorter and re-balalanced.

Firestorm
10-18-2011, 08:39 AM
i wouldnt put a non-abs diff in my abs car, because well, i'd lose ABS. but hey, each to their own.

that said, you either need a non ABS driveshaft (or at least the rear half) because the ABS driveshaft is shorter (the nose on the diff pumpkin is longer due to the sensor sitting there), or get a one piece driveshaft for a non abs car. driving with an abs driveshaft on a non abs diff could either cause the front driveshaft yoke to snap, or destroy the output shaft on the tranny, because the shaft isnt slid on completely.

also it could cause transmission oil leakage and failure of the center bushing of the driveshaft since you "pulled" the driveshaft further to the rear to bolt up to the diff.

those are failures i can think of. i don't know if something like this has ever happened to anybody, so maybe you're lucky and wont be breaking anything.

the cheapest, albeit not being the simplest solution would be to swap the welded differential unit into the ABS diff housing. it would let you keep ABS and your shaft would be the proper length for the diff.

wangan_cruiser
10-18-2011, 09:05 AM
how big is the gap

Sileighty_85
10-18-2011, 10:53 AM
Ive seen ABS Drive shaft spacer, for issues like this. Basically a 1 inch spacer that fits between the DS and Diff

hellaslows13
10-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. The gap is about 1"

How much would a one piece NON abs driveshaft run me? Could I just buy that and bolt it up with no modifications?

another question also, I should be able to move all the internals from my welded diff into my ABS VLSD pumpkin with no problems right?

I hope I haven't damaged anything...

hellaslows13
10-21-2011, 03:43 AM
Just wanted to double check something. I plan on getting a NON ABS drive shaft to work with my welded diff that is non abs. Do i need just the front half of the drive shaft or the rear half? Different people are telling me different things. Thanks!

Firestorm
10-21-2011, 08:41 AM
you need the rear half.

TrooyyS14
12-10-2012, 12:59 PM
I put a welded on my 95 zenki ABS with a welded NON ABS and the gap was there also. I used a washer i believe or something of that nature. It works fine. Ive drifted many events no problem

fliprayzin240sx
12-10-2012, 03:51 PM
You used washers? So you have 4 bolts effectively acting as your driveline?

zerodameaon
12-11-2012, 12:35 AM
Oh that is a great idea, just because it has been working so far does not mean that it won't catastrophically fail putting you and others in danger when an otherwise proper driveshaft would have taken the load with no issues.

illvialuver
12-11-2012, 01:58 AM
I thought that guy was from Florida, but he is from the bay area. lol. Serious, washers?

TrooyyS14
12-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Okay, we'll te gap was only maybe my pinkie finger nail size not even. So it was not big. And I was told by a local shop at the time to do it. Not looking to get flamed since I know that's what you were heading for. Just sharing my input. I picked up a 96 non abs s14 and I'm putting my welded on this weekend, will it have gap or bolt right up?

nismo_drifter
03-21-2013, 07:59 PM
sorry to bring up an old thread but can somebody link me the spacer for the driveshaft im having this same issue....i have a non abs diff with a 2way and im putting it in a abs car with abs driveshaft so i need the extra length....

nismo_drifter
03-22-2013, 01:08 PM
^^^ make offers on what?

elmike
07-13-2013, 02:03 PM
Hi, im doing the 5spd swap in my ABS s14 and bought the 5spd driveshaft, read wrong and bought an non abs driveshaft. My old aut. driveshaft was stolen, is there any way or something that i can make to fit the non abs shaft into the abs diff?