PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding a 2JZ

StryfeS13
10-17-2011, 06:48 PM
What's up guys. Friend of mine wants me to rebuild his 2JZ for him. I've built plenty of SR's and KA's that have never had any issues. Anything special I should know about 2JZ's? Or is it pretty much the same?

We plan on building it with new pistons/rods, arp hardware, new bearings, new oil pump.

Is there anything I need to look for with these motors? I'm only assembling the bottom end and bolting the head to the block.

Deftec
10-17-2011, 07:05 PM
Very easy to rebuild. Biggest issue I had was shimming the cams, only because I'd get too focused on one thing and forget which I had already done lol. Had to do it several times and triple check everything there. As far as the rest of the motor, it's pretty straightforward, if you have any experience building them, you'll notice the toyota engines are simple.

StryfeS13
10-17-2011, 07:36 PM
Cool, good to know.

boms
10-17-2011, 09:08 PM
Very easy to rebuild. Biggest issue I had was shimming the cams, only because I'd get too focused on one thing and forget which I had already done lol. Had to do it several times and triple check everything there. As far as the rest of the motor, it's pretty straightforward, if you have any experience building them, you'll notice the toyota engines are simple.

def take ur time shimming.. timing is easy as well as everything else with the motor!

airman
10-18-2011, 07:11 AM
No need to shim the cams unless you're changing them or you're sure they're worn enough to need it...

Best of luck with the rebuild.

Deftec
10-18-2011, 09:30 AM
It's always good to do. If he got a shim switched around or what not, why go through the hassle of rebuilding if you're not going to do it right and cut corners?

airman
10-18-2011, 10:36 AM
It would definitely be worth checking, but not to tear into immediately unless he just wants to, lol.

It'd be like buying an SR swap and wanting to put new bearings in the bottom end without first checking to see if they're bad in the first place.

Deftec
10-18-2011, 10:39 AM
Lol i think you're talking about replacing them. I'm talking about checking clearances and switching shims around to get it within spec if needed. I didnt mean replace them lol.

airman
10-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Ah okay, "shimming" and "checking shim clearances" are different in my mind, lol.

Deftec
10-18-2011, 11:58 AM
Yeah, f*ck replacing them. At $8-$10 a shim, that adds up VERY fast.

turbociv910
10-18-2011, 03:24 PM
rebuild it the reverse way of taking it apart :p