PDA

View Full Version : dd11 tips for newbs...also where did you get your helmet?

rancid240
12-08-2003, 02:29 PM
Any tips you want to throw out, as far as what to bring, what to prep, etc. Not really looking for drifting tips as I am sure to learn much at dd11. Also where did you get your helmet? I am planning on getting maybe a dirt bike helmet that is ma95 because I plan on getting a bike soon anyways.

CleanS14
12-08-2003, 03:24 PM
AFAIK... I thought DD11 was not for newbs... more of an intermediate/advanced session???

rancid240
12-08-2003, 03:28 PM
yes, but they will still have the j-turn and skidpad for novice.

Matt_240
12-08-2003, 03:29 PM
jack
jack stands
water
towel so sweat doesn't drip w/ helmet on
misc tools
tires
tighten lug nuts

S13SilviaGirl
12-08-2003, 06:32 PM
Do they allow MA95's? I thought they had to be a snell95 or higher?

CleanS14
12-08-2003, 09:30 PM
check the regulations at www.driftday.com I think MA95 was mentioned as ok.

S13SilviaGirl
12-08-2003, 09:58 PM
^^^it would seem you are right....:bow: thanks, guess I missed that part...:D oops!

driftingpanda
12-08-2003, 10:23 PM
i also recommend a cooler full of gatorade, some hand cleaner, and some paper towels. if you're running crappy or low tread tires, bring more than one pair of tires for emergencies. a friend/helper/pit crew is also very helpful.

as for prepping, make sure all of your fluids (motor, diff, transmission, brake/clutch) are relatively fresh, and especially coolant. torque your lug nuts, clean out your car completely, and most important of all, get a good night of sleep!

dd's are great events to learn stuff, but can be intimidating and often discouraging for newbies (especially at dd11, since it's mostly intermediate people). don't be shy, ask an instructor. almost all of the instructors are really nice guys, and they will help you out with anything from driving tips to car setup. try not to expect too much (out of yourself or the organization of the event), just have fun and enjoy the knowledge that it's all legal. :)

have fun!
danny

ciGARRETTsRbad4u
12-08-2003, 10:27 PM
get alot of sleep the night before
bring water for your car and people... your gonna get thirsty
and since your are a "newb" (not trying to talk trash... you called yourself that) its a hight speed third gear course dont push it and smash your car

KiDyNomiTe
12-09-2003, 12:03 AM
If you are gonna be on the track for a while and have stock tie rods, a spare set of tie rods might help, they are cheap from junk yards, and you would be SOL if it broke.

Get some working gloves so you don't have to worry about messing up your wheel or having greasy hands.

Flybert
12-09-2003, 12:17 AM
For the coolant thing, it is best to have more water in the mix because your car will run cooler. My first event was DD10 and it was awesome. Don't feel embarassed when you spin out. Just make sure you don't stall and get your ass out of there as soon as possible so you don't slow up the line.

For helmets MA or SA are both Snell ratings so they are both OK. If you want to buy a cheap helmet, go to Superautobacs. They have some helmets for $120 or somewhere around there. They are pretty heavy so there is a compromise there. You can also buy helmets from www.helmetcity.com. I think they have free shipping or pdm-racing.com also has helmets. There are so many places to buy helmets online, just check yahoo for the model you want and look for the best deal. Then call up that company to make sure they have it in stock and make sure it gets to you in time.

Then, make sure you don't leave it along with all your tools in your car and get jacked at PCC like I did the night before a drift event.

midnights14
12-10-2003, 04:09 PM
Hey dude! It's me Bryan :)

Bring Advil! I had headaches around 1-2PM at DD8 and DD10 caseu it was so frikkin hot. Or just drink a LOT of water.

AKADriver
12-14-2003, 09:42 PM
I got my helmet from ogracing.com.

Actually I got it from their retail store, locally. They only have SA helmets, so you'll pay more, but you can use SA helmets anywhere, if that matters to you. M helmets will only take you through drift days and autocrosses.. parking lot stuff. If you do a track day they usually require SA, at least around here.

Sounds like an M helmet might be what you really need though. I wouldn't want to use my SA helmet on a bike... it's too heavy and hot.

sykikchimp
12-15-2003, 07:34 AM
I would highly recommend at least trying on helmets at a store. I tried on tons of helmets before finding one that fit right. They measured my head, and the helmet the was "suppose" to fit me was way too tight. Soo.. do go by the online sizing charts. Test fitment is the only way to make sure.

I would also recommend getting at least a "2000" rated helmet. Helmet ratings are good for 10 years, so you will likely have your helmet for a VERY long time. '95' helps go out of use in 2005.

SA helmets used to be superior in multiple impact crashes, and they have nomex. With the "2000" ratings.. there is very little difference in impact protection, so nomex is really the only reason to get SA. If you ever plan to do track events, get an SA.

TheDingo8MyBaby
12-15-2003, 05:56 PM
Does anyone know who the black s13 coupe was. The driver's name is phillip. I need to contact him.

thanks

midnights14
12-16-2003, 12:10 AM
I have a black S13 coupe.

But my name's not Philip. :)

rancid240
12-16-2003, 01:37 AM
i bought a m2000 for lik $60 from the store accross from autobacs. The little label for it has a chick wearing it riding on the back of the bike. So I got a girls helmet, so shoot me

hondaguy
12-24-2003, 02:21 AM
i got my helmet from the good will ARIA 15 buck i taped the inside cuz i dunno where that shits been