PDA

View Full Version : tranny crossmember drama! RANCHO/FONTANA

foxystyle
10-15-2011, 12:43 PM
I just finished my dohc/manual swap on my 90 hatch. Can't say I miss the auto sohc since I've had that ever since I drove the car off the lot back in 1990
What I do miss is my two bolts! The cross member has four bolts as we all know
As I swapped out the tranny two bolts on one side snapped off and the rest is stuck deep in the frame. As much as I tryied to drill out the bolts it was fruitfulless and didn't work.
As of now it is bolted with two engine mounts and two cross member bolts both on the driver side.
I've heard a lot of rb swap guys only use two bolts on there cross members.
This sounds terrifying and unsafe but has anyone had expericene with this?
Or know of a place that welds or can get the bolts out near rancho or fontana?
Thank you guys.

foxystyle
10-16-2011, 12:47 PM
Anyone have any input? I don't want my tranny falling in the street

badboy6686
10-16-2011, 08:00 PM
When most people talk about only using two bolts, I would assume they mean one on each side.

The fact that both of your bolts are on the same side, and the other side is completely unbolted is a bad bad idea!!

Darren
10-16-2011, 08:07 PM
I don't think he disagrees with that; sounds like he's asking for info on where to get it fixed

idahotuner
10-16-2011, 08:34 PM
drill and ez out are about the only suggestions i have, must have reeffed pretty hard on them to snap it off lol.

fliprayzin240sx
10-16-2011, 08:48 PM
Shit, I havent heard a whole lot of people snap those bolts, most folks just strip the fuck out of them.

revcyanide
10-16-2011, 09:06 PM
I snapped one before, drilled the bolt enough to collapse it in on itself, worked out fine.

negrosx13
10-16-2011, 09:11 PM
Bolts on mine are bit stripped but still hold up weird enough...Get yourself a very good drill bits and drill out in stages( small to big )

foxystyle
10-16-2011, 10:12 PM
My crappy drill didn't work. I snapped three bolts and as able to get one of the out on the driver side with an easy out (extracted bolt). I bought two kits at home depot and a combination of them worked. But not one the other two bolts.
I'm thinking of risk driving cross town and having a muffler tire shop drill them out with an impact gun.

mewantkouki
10-17-2011, 09:25 AM
Left handed drill bits are your friend. ;)

SILVIA_KIDs14.5
10-17-2011, 10:00 AM
get a set of reverse (left hand) drill bits to remove the bolt it will grab the bolt and turn it out easiest way I've found to get any bolt that has been snapped and recessed.

WholeGrainS13
10-17-2011, 10:31 AM
They have bolt extractor bits. It comes wit a left hand drill bit and a extractor bit. Your local sears or hardware store should have them. Ive even seen some at a few autozones and oreilly stores

foxystyle
10-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Thanks for. The advice guys
Yea I had though extractor kit, but when they didn't work after I took on bolt out I threw them away in madness.
I'm going to roll the dice and hope my tranny doesn't fall of on the trip to the mufflershop.
If they can't help ill buy a new drill and some good drill bits.