PDA

View Full Version : HELP.. My KA is KA-ing

koukisandsomeapplejuice
10-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Okay so heres what happened, few days ago my efans stopped working.. car over heated and blew the upper hose.. got a proper working fan relay and new hose and clamps and flushed the coolant.. still overheating.. new thermo and water pump.. still over heating.. shot water up the radiator and i doubt its clogged.. only the top of the radiator will get hot and the lower will stay ICE cold but right now im running with no thermostat and it runs fine.. what would cause the thermostat to not open if i replaced it with two good ones already? clogged in the motor? like i said doubt its the radiator since its a new aluminum one and water flows thru it correctly.. im lost at this point. please help and dont tell me to just swap it for an sr.. if it was as easy as it sounds for me i would!! thanks.

jdmspooge
11-25-2011, 11:48 AM
did you place your thermostat on correctly? check that and/or replace it. hmm ur radiator might be clogged. how many miles are on the radiator? did you do a flush? interesting. hope this helps

rcdad123
11-25-2011, 11:52 PM
drill 4 1/4 inch holes around the perimeter of the thermostat. this would make the water pass thru even if the thermostat is closed. also helps in bleeding the air out of the cooling system. i do this to all of my cars and most of my customers cars. having a working thermostat is better than not having one, especially in winter.

kure91
12-19-2011, 12:27 PM
did you ever bleed the system???? I was having similar problems and it ended up being air in the system.

Kingtal0n
12-27-2011, 06:08 PM
Okay so heres what happened, few days ago my efans stopped working.. car over heated and blew the upper hose.. got a proper working fan relay and new hose and clamps and flushed the coolant.. still overheating.. new thermo and water pump.. still over heating.. shot water up the radiator and i doubt its clogged.. only the top of the radiator will get hot and the lower will stay ICE cold but right now im running with no thermostat and it runs fine.. what would cause the thermostat to not open if i replaced it with two good ones already? clogged in the motor? like i said doubt its the radiator since its a new aluminum one and water flows thru it correctly.. im lost at this point. please help and dont tell me to just swap it for an sr.. if it was as easy as it sounds for me i would!! thanks.

swap for an SR... just kidding :)

A: I recommend you use the OEM clutch fan to prevent the failure you just experienced.
B: You can test the thermostat by heating some water on the stove- make sure it opens up
C: Sometimes silicone clogs the thermostat, the hole is very tiny, maybe when you are installing the water neck silicone is getting into it?
D: You can push water through the engine and ensure it flows well. You can even start it with a hose installed and make sure the water is freely flowing through it.
E: The same can be done to the radiator, run water in one end and make sure it freely exits.

Final:
If the radiator flows well, and the engine flows well, and the water pump is brand new, and the thermostat is verified to open, and you use a very small amount of silicone when installing the water neck, and utilize the OEM clutch fan and shroud....
I cannot imagine that engine would overheat at all.