PDA

View Full Version : S13 Analog speedometer with dashboard HUD

Zushi
10-10-2011, 11:11 AM
I've searched all over and can not find any info on this other than the fact that it will require lots of wiring. I've seen posts where people say "its been posted...search for it" so I must have bad searching skills.....

I currently have the standard HUD set up (digital gauge cluster w/ dash HUD). I want to swap the digital cluster with an analog one while keeping a functional dashboard HUD. Can anyone give me some info on this or point me to a place that can. Thanks!

Mitsubayati
10-10-2011, 11:40 AM
There's a special connection behind the HUD cluster that goes to the HUD. I'm pretty sure that the analog cluster never came with one of these ports, So somehow you will have to do work to get a signal to it. Don't ask me how haha.

I mainly just chimed in because I'd like to buy your HUD cluster if you aren't going to be using it anymore. Let me know, thanks and gl.

Zushi
10-10-2011, 11:47 AM
i could probably spend hours of trial and error trying to splice into the stock harness but the FSM doesn't give any wire colors so I wouldn't even know where to start. I'm sure someone has done this before...hopefully they'll read this and help..? :)

Flicktitty
10-10-2011, 12:07 PM
i know someone who has done it, on many cars. I'm sure he would be willing to make yours work if you sent him your stuff.

Chaluska
10-10-2011, 12:17 PM
there is only one way this will work...

-Remove the digital speedometer out of the cluster
-take your digital harness, and your analog harness, and match the pins for the 12-pin digital speedometer harness, so it will get power, signal, and ground, lights, etc etc. splice the wires together, so that you will send speed signal to the digital speedo, and the analog speedo. the digital speedo sends the signal to the hud, not the ecu/speed sensor.
-set the digital speedometer unit in the dash next to the analog cluster, with the HUD still hooked up to it.
-install your analog cluster.
its most definitely going to be a tight fit back there, but if you MUST have a HUD with your analog cluster, thats the only way its going to work.

just goes to show the people who talk trash, need to be able to back it up.. not just say "Search noob"

Zushi
10-12-2011, 10:58 AM
i know the 89-90 tachs are different than the 91-94 but what about the speedos? can I put my analog 89-90 speedo into my JDM cluster and expect it to work?

nissandrift
10-12-2011, 11:13 AM
There is a sub harness that's different between the analog, and digital cluster. Pull out the digital cluster, unplug digital sub harness, install analog sub harness, install analog cluster, and it should work. I've done this with my last 2 HUD cars, and its been working fine. The speedo from an SOHC can work on DOHC car... swapped my 110mph DOHC to a 115mph SOHC cluster.

Zushi
10-12-2011, 11:23 AM
so i could swap my SOHC speedometer head into my JDM cluster and it will work (115mph)? will my ODO and trip be in KM?

sturg
11-24-2011, 07:20 PM
Ok so like you after reading about the hybrid dash cluster and not being able to find any useful info i decided to give it a crack, and guess what it worked!!! and it was reasonably easy.

Here's how i did it i used the original digital sub loom and modified the black plug that goes straight in the back of the dash cluster as it was a 12pin needs to be 10pin. i cut and shut the entire loom repining both plugs to suit the analog dash, then got the speedo pickups from the digital speed unit.

You do need to remove and keep the digital speed unit as this is what sends the information to the HUD unit. its easy enough to do just open the digi dash and remove entire unit. The digi speed unit needs to be housed behind the analog or if your handy you can extend the wires and relocate maybe house in dash elsewhere?? i just Blacked mine out with tape and left behind the analog!

You will need to be handy with a soldering iron. As you may know the analog dash uses 3 big connectors and digi uses 2 big and 2 small (DO NOT CUT SMALL CONNECTORS) meaning you have to solder onto board for the third to get your (fuel meter, fuel light, ILL ground) the fuel meter gets it signal through a screw in the back of the dash so i solders straight onto the screw.

The speedo has 4 pick-up screws on the back (IGN, 2P, GRN, some japanese symbol lol but i know what connects to it lol) you will need to solder on the back on the 2P screw & the symbol screw as these are the speed signal wires and need to be spliced into the signal wires for the digi speedo loom.

i have only just done this mod so if you are still interested in doing it let me know and ill draw up a diagram and post it for you to follow. if your like me and like the look of the analog over digital cluster then this is the best mod you can do :)

Zushi
11-29-2011, 03:08 PM
I figured it out... turned out to be pretty easy. i spliced the digi unit harness into the analog harness. there is a pink and grey wire on the HUD harness that I had to remove and repin into one of the analog plugs. pretty easy.

i even went one step further and removed the KPH/MPH selector switch off of the hud unit and extended the wires and relocated it so that I could still select between KPH or MPH or turn the HUD off.

chiboy002
11-29-2011, 03:35 PM
i know the 89-90 tachs are different than the 91-94 but what about the speedos? can I put my analog 89-90 speedo into my JDM cluster and expect it to work?
no
jdm speedometers have the potentiometers set to a different rate than that of a USDM speedo. The rate at which it will rise per km/h will be different than that of mph so it will be off

google 240sx speedo potentiometer, there was a really good site i saw a while back that shows how to fix this

buloy
05-11-2012, 08:28 AM
can you please post pictures or diagram on how to do this. Thanks!

Spore_Print
04-28-2013, 08:17 PM
thanks for the info