PDA

View Full Version : after market crank pulley + head machining?

Saico
10-09-2011, 03:30 PM
i'm building my S14 blacktop Sr20 and was wondering about headmachining i've heard many stories saying valve clearance was sooo tight that i could not even machine the head deck... wich i find a lil rediculous i'll be machining the head about 1-4 millieme depending on the straightness off the head

second question, mu oem crank pulley was chiped on the edge so i would like to replace it, but i was wondering what you guys think about those unortodox pulley kit... again i've heard stories about those aluminium crank pulley vibrating on high rpm

thank you everyone for you usefull answers!

Saico
10-10-2011, 08:57 AM
anyone????

jr_ss
10-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Buy an OEM crank pulley or an ATI damper. Do not use that light weight crap...

Saico
10-11-2011, 03:37 AM
alright and what about the head machining?

koukisandsomeapplejuice
10-11-2011, 04:47 PM
i say keep the stock pulley.. its called a harmonic balance for a reason

Saico
10-11-2011, 06:43 PM
cool i'll juste try to find a mint oem one :P

what about my machining question?

SochBAT
10-11-2011, 08:37 PM
its called a harmonic balance for a reason

Congrats on being a fucking sheep and spreading misinformation.

1, its a fucking damper, not a fucking harmonic balancer.
2, KAs/SRs are internally balanced, hence the lack of a harmonic balancer.
3, buy a quality pulley, it makes a huge fucking difference.
4, ATI is good, but I would find something lighter. I had an ASP one on mine, while a few other friends picked up an UR pulley. Same install instructions.

And before anyone else asks, "Will my crank pulley give me X hp?", here it is.

No. Your crank pulley is lighter in weight, taking less effort to spin, making it less parasitic in power transfers.

fliprayzin240sx
10-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Just run thicker headgasket...just don't forget to get your oil pump cover decked even with the block. The oil pump cover is usually taller than the block so folks would have some sealing issues with metal HG with the #1 cylinder.

Saico
10-12-2011, 09:04 PM
Just run thicker headgasket...just don't forget to get your oil pump cover decked even with the block. The oil pump cover is usually taller than the block so folks would have some sealing issues with metal HG with the #1 cylinder.

you mean i should install the cover before getting the block decked?

machining the head+oem HG will interfer?