PDA

View Full Version : Give me a break.

Hers
10-04-2011, 09:27 PM
I'm sure this questions been asked a billions of times but whatever any help would be great. I own a 91 hatch, the car is dying when I go into neutral and hit the breaks, whats the problem??

jr_ss
10-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Need more information than it being a 91...

Hers
10-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Idk what to tell you, ive only owned the car for two days, its completely stock. My friend seems to think its the battery, it was my first time driving it at night, the 45 min drive home during the day when I bought it the car was fine, no problems.

Hers
10-04-2011, 10:10 PM
He seems to think its a weak battery.

ZilviaKid
10-04-2011, 10:23 PM
Im not trying to be a dick, but you bought a really old car, and its going to be riddled with little problems like this, things that should be super easy to diagnose such as a bad battery.

And if you cant handle even handle this first one, your totally fucked once something actually comes up.

Hell, this question should be like car problems 101

Hers
10-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Im not trying to be a dick, but you bought a really old car, and its going to be riddled with little problems like this, things that should be super easy to diagnose such as a bad battery.

And if you cant handle even handle this first one, your totally fucked once something actually comes up.

Hell, this question should be like car problems 101

Rawr. sorry I'm not mechanically inclined lol.

ezza
10-05-2011, 05:02 AM
Battery or vacuum leak IMO.
Don't you have another battery you know is ok to try out? That would be my first port of call

Hers
10-05-2011, 05:50 AM
Don't you have another battery you know is ok to try out? That would be my first port of call

Yeah it was 11:30, figured I'd play with it during the day.

thefro526
10-05-2011, 06:03 AM

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me.

Phlip
10-05-2011, 06:04 AM
Please repeat question when SOME attempts to troubleshoot have been made.
Could be battery - test with another known good one to see if the problem persists. If it does, replace yours
Could be a vacuum leak - have someone who IS mechanically inclined check on this for you and correct the problem as needed.

If the issue is anything else, then have the above-named mechanically inclined person look into it and rectify said problem. It is impossible for strangers hundreds or thousands of miles away to know and properly pinpoint your issue without being there to experience it.
Good luck

ThatGuy
10-05-2011, 07:29 AM
Before we try to fix the car, let's do some maintenance on your English.

Break | Define Break at Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/break)

Brake | Define Brake at Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/brake)

Once you've done that, move on to checking out your battery, and searching for vacuum leaks.

KiLLeR2001
10-05-2011, 07:39 AM
Don't understand how it could be the battery if the car is running via the alternator... It's most likely a vacuum leak combined with the fluctuation in the electrical system when brakes are applied.

Hers
10-05-2011, 07:59 AM

Before we try to fix the car, let's do some maintenance on your English.

Break | Define Break at Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/break)

Brake | Define Brake at Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/brake)

Once you've done that, move on to checking out your battery, and searching for vacuum leaks.
I'm confused as to whats wrong with what I wrote.

raz0rbladez909
10-05-2011, 08:25 AM
I'm confused as to whats wrong with what I wrote.

Lol you spelled BRAKES as BREAKS as in breaking something :picardfp: thats what was wrong, him posting two definitions should've made that easy enough.

Hers
10-05-2011, 08:55 AM
Wow everyone needs to relax, a misspell is end of.the world. Smh

92SEric240sx
10-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Wow everyone needs to relax, a misspell is end of.the world. Smh

It's not a big deal, but they are just trying to help you out :goyou:

c.boots
10-05-2011, 09:41 AM
Check your grounds. My car was having this issue too, i got a multimeter and i set it
To the ohm setting and measured the resistance between my grounds. The resistance was
Around 30ohms which is high so i made a grounding kit and it stopped dropping rpms whenever i hit the brakes at a stop light.

nightsauce
10-05-2011, 09:51 AM
I'm surprised no1 said IACV. Mine was doing that until I took off the manifold and cleaned it. Problem solved.

ManoNegra
10-05-2011, 10:08 AM
If you don't take the time to write legible English
why should I take the time to help you out with your problem?

op - this is how myself and a lot of member usually approach these things

you should replace as many hoses as possible
odds are they're old and brittle

but in reality you need to go into maintenance mode:
replace fluids, check hoses, brakes, rotors, etc
as been mentioned, it is an old car

Bernie (NoVA)
10-05-2011, 10:42 AM

Agreed - or a weak alternator