PDA

View Full Version : Ignition problems? Ideas Welcome!

Touge_Monster
10-02-2011, 03:03 PM
I am going to start form the begining.

First off my car is a 92 s13 with a ka24de
Has exhaust, intake, grounding kit, ans some other non relivent stuff

When I bought the car the previous owner said that it had recently had a headgasket done. When I was getting the car ready for smog I noticed that it was impossible to get the cars timming to 20 degrees. I just figured maybe it was a tooth off on the timming chain.

Fastfoward about 6 months ago the car would begin dieing on the freeway. I would be driving and then the tach would just drop and about 5 seconds later the oil pressure/ check engine light would come on. The problem was very intermittent and it only seemed to do it in the morning.

I changed the coil => no luck
I then borrowed my friend distributer and bam the car ran great again. So I went to autozone and got a remand distributer. Once I changed the distributer I was able to get the timming at 20 degrees. The car ran fine for 3 months untill my last track event. I did one lap then the car would begin misfireing at 4000rpm and not accelerate any more. I couldnt get the car to run right so I just left and drove 3 hours home with no problems.

A week later I warrentied the autozone distributer for another one and installed it. Onced again I could not get the timming to 20, the closes it could get was 28 or 13. I left it at 28 just to drive for a bit. The car begain doing the dieing thing on the freeway that it was orginally doing.

I also changed the fuelpump and filter in this time

I then borrowed my friends distributer and the car ran fine again. Drove 60 miles a day with no issues. I returned the distributer to autozone and bought another rebuilt one from my buddies shop. The timing was able to get to 26 this time. The car ran fine for a day and then began to die on the freeway again.

This morning I started it to drive to my freinds shop and it was ideling fine with no issues. It was running fine for about 5mins while I was loading the car up with stuff then I hear it just die. I try to restart it and cant get it to fire. I changed the spark plug wires because one was pretty bad and still nothing.

Is it possible that I just got THREE bad distributers? Anyone think my car could be frying them? I am at a loss and running out of patience. I know its a long read but any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks

Cliff notes:

Car dies on freeway. Change distributer 3 times and all suck. My car ran fine with buddies distributer everytime. Now it wont start at all

:wan::wan::wan::wan::wan::wan:

pacotaco345
10-02-2011, 11:24 PM
I will be closely watching this thread.. I think I have the EXACT same problem, my idler sprocket is a tooth off so I can't time it, 28 or 13 degrees.. I took my dizzy apart and put it back in and then I would get the 4 grand thing, the car would pull like bwaaaaaaaaa *insert 4 grand here* BA BA BA BA BA and would run like crap, shudder etc. Figured it was my fault I effed up the dizzy so got one from a friend and it did nothing. New plugs, nothing.. New wires, nothing.. New coil/ignitor chip, nothing.. Tried the ignition hotwire to battery mod, nothing.. I have an ecu waiting for me when I get home friday to see if that's the problem. Oh, and somewhere in this my ecu threw a code 21, I reset the ecu and after I did that the car doesn't even want to rev at all.. I get the "BA BA BA BA" symptom from the moment I touch the gas until it gets back to idle.

bradb_04
10-03-2011, 08:20 AM
I had the same thing happen to me, I went and got a dizzy from advance and the car wouldnt start at all, borrowed a friends dizzy and the car ran fine.. Took the dizzy back to advance they gave me another one, car ran perfect.. 6 months later same thing happen with it missing at 4k RPM.. Got another one and its been running good so far. I think it's just the dizzys from autozone, advance and other places.. Did you replace the cap and rotor also? It sounds like your like me and are getting bad luck with these reman dizzy... haha