PDA

View Full Version : Broken injector?

coupe92
09-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Ok, so upon replacing my o rings, which I've never done before, I assumed it ok to use a small screwdriver to help pull the o rings over the middle section of my 370cc sr injector. Upon doing so, I heard a slight tearing sound, and promptly checked the victim area. What I saw was a slight puncture to the sort of soft area in the middle of the injector. This really worries me, I think I might have ruined the injector, but I don't know. It's just a very slight dent, maybe a verrry small crack. Am I screwed? Bad quality pic below showing the area I am talking about.

ILoveJDM
09-28-2011, 01:44 PM
you need a better picture then that man..

is it just the mesh filter thats broken? or the case? or the internals?

s14unimog
09-28-2011, 01:47 PM
just send it to RC engineering and have it tested/repaired. They do great work and when it comes to injectors on a boosted engine, it's not worth the risk. Having said that, those look filthy, I would send them all in. You would be surprised how they might flow. number them according to your cylinder arrangement for problem referencing later.

coupe92
09-28-2011, 01:48 PM
In the spot where the picture indicates, there is a small rip. Is this critical to the injector functioning right?

coupe92
09-28-2011, 01:51 PM
Its hard to dish out money on a set of 80 dollar injectors. I'm gonna go ahead and run them, the others are ok. If I have a problem I'll know to check the injectors.

s14unimog
09-28-2011, 02:40 PM
Its hard to dish out money on a set of 80 dollar injectors. I'm gonna go ahead and run them, the others are ok. If I have a problem I'll know to check the injectors.

I'm not suggesting you purchase a new injector but I will forewarn you. IF there is a problem... you won't need to check the injector, lol.

coupe92
09-28-2011, 07:36 PM
Because it's so hard to read a wideband.. Anyway thanks for referring me to RC injectors, I might send them in if they indeed do flow awfully for whatever reason. I just want to know if the injector is damaged or not before I go to the trouble of snapping it in and moving onto the next thing. If anyone can tell me what function this part of the injector serves I'd appreciate it.

s14unimog
09-29-2011, 09:40 AM
Because it's so hard to read a wideband...

oh ya... you're monitoring individual cylinder A/F's are ya? I'm trying to help you out here. That's a filter for contaminants getting into the spray orifices. If an injector clogs, the individual cylinder will lean out. Besides you wouldn't have time to notice an A/F change at WOT. Stop being a cheap ass 240 owner.

modulation
09-29-2011, 02:45 PM
Because it's so hard to read a wideband.. Anyway thanks for referring me to RC injectors, I might send them in if they indeed do flow awfully for whatever reason. I just want to know if the injector is damaged or not before I go to the trouble of snapping it in and moving onto the next thing. If anyone can tell me what function this part of the injector serves I'd appreciate it.

I wouldn't worry about it, it's just a filter.
You can snap that whole black part off. Take off one from your old injector and put it on your new one.

I've swapped my fuel injectors a good amount of time and never seen anything on that screen that was filtered out, whatever would get there would have to get through the fuel filter first. If you're building a $5k turbo setup I'd say make sure you replace it, but personally I'd run it without a second thought.

coupe92
09-30-2011, 04:59 AM
oh ya... you're monitoring individual cylinder A/F's are ya? I'm trying to help you out here. That's a filter for contaminants getting into the spray orifices. If an injector clogs, the individual cylinder will lean out. Besides you wouldn't have time to notice an A/F change at WOT. Stop being a cheap ass 240 owner.

I understand, but it would be nice if you could've posted this info a bit earlier instead of just saying "It won't be the injector you need to check, lol". Thanks though..