PDA

View Full Version : TPS wire inside a wire o.0?

Pirate_Freder
09-26-2011, 12:14 PM
So my idle was all wonko, sometimes normal but most of the time from 1700-2000. I tried cleaning my MAFS but to no avail so i tried unplugging my TPS and realized that when i moved its wires my idle changed. So I cut back the harness wrap to find a wire wrapped in electrical tape which just so happened to be the one that had seemed to be the culprit. When I pulled back the tape though I found the the wire from the connector(14ga) goes inside another wire(10-8ga) and the core from the big wire is hanging out a 1/2in.

I tried pulling the small one out, and followed it all the way up under that cover above the injectors. I'm pretty sure this isn't normal, anyone seen this before? any ideas? I guess I'll check continuity/resistance/shorts this evening after work.

sorry for no pics, my phone is wigging out.

blueshark123
09-26-2011, 12:17 PM
post a pic. i forget if thta wire is insulated like the maf wiring

ska
09-26-2011, 12:19 PM
it could be possible that it is a shielded wire just like a maf. are their a whole bunch of metal strands wrapped around the small wire?

Pirate_Freder
09-26-2011, 12:22 PM
yeah, there were strands hanging out from between the two wires. so that should be fun if theres a break in it.....well like i said i'll hit it with the multimeter tonight and update. thanks for the quick response guys.

vas570sx
09-26-2011, 12:22 PM
pics or bust

Pirate_Freder
09-26-2011, 12:50 PM
yeah, i normally would but i'm on a roll with things breaking lol. my modem broke so I can't upload from my computer and my iphone camera doesn't wanna work.

dorifto_demon
09-28-2011, 11:58 AM
that`s the shielded wire for tps signal going to the ecu..
the shield (outer strand) are grounded..
its to reduce the electrical noise that can interrupt the signal..

those and the actual signal wire (the inner strand) should not have continuity..

any signal wire to the ecu are shielded..

hope that helps!