PDA

View Full Version : KA24DE Weird Buzzing Won't Start

JEFFSOBOMB
09-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Hey guys. I'm running a stock KA on a 1996 s14.
As the title says, my car starts making this weird buzzing sound when the key is turned to the "on" position. It sounds like it's coming from under the dash of the passenger's side. Then I try starting it and all I get are cranks.
The electronics start to go weird too and occasionally the gauges randomly go up and down.

This happened today, as I was driving home. I turned my car on, heard a really light buzz and started it. It was fine, until the engine stopped as I was driving 15mph.

Tried jump starting the car, but it didn't help.

Any suggestions on what it could be?

JEFFSOBOMB
09-25-2011, 06:47 PM
Okay, so after checking my fusebox, I saw that the 7.5 EGI fuse was blown out. I tried replacing it, but I still had the same buzzing sound on the "ON" position.
Seems the buzzing is coming from the ECU right under the glovebox on the passenger side. Can I get someone's perspective on this?

91ka24de
09-25-2011, 07:04 PM
have you tried resetting the ecu by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes

JEFFSOBOMB
09-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Yeah, same outcome.

91ka24de
09-25-2011, 09:07 PM
is it buzzing at the ecu or at the blower/blower motor?

JEFFSOBOMB
09-25-2011, 10:01 PM
It's buzzing at the ECU. I'm thinking that it could be some relays that need replacement. I mean, the car turns on just fine, but I feel no powers going to the ECU. Just an educated guess though.

And if it turns out they are the relays, which ones should I take a look at?

Also, I tested it one more time, and whenever I put in a new 7.5 EGI fuse, it blows when the ignition is turned to "on."

Second question would be, what's causing it to constantly happen?

91ka24de
09-25-2011, 11:17 PM
could be a short somewhere or a bad ground. check your grounds and check for bare wires it shouldn't pop like that and wont for no reason. thats what i would check first to be honest. thats just based off what i learned working in shops.

n8RPS13
09-25-2011, 11:28 PM
Yeah it sounds like something is either grounding out or there is something shorting out and causing you to keep blowing out that fuse...crossed wires bad ground, could be anything with that vauge description. Start tracing your wires see if anything is bare and touching metal, and get a wire tester and a voltage meter. Hope this helps buddy ;)

JEFFSOBOMB
09-25-2011, 11:48 PM
I will check it tomorrow. I'll try to be more detailed as well, i'm still learning my way around my car. Thanks.

nismoracingsx
09-26-2011, 12:53 PM
why don't you start by checking the relay that fuse is protecting >.>
my egi relay shorts when it gets too hot and my car shuts off :p

vas570sx
09-26-2011, 01:09 PM
same thing happened to me about a month ago. it ended up being a bad battery.

youre prolly looking at this post with a raised brow, but believe it or not, it fixed the problem.

it wouldnt take a jump, it wouldn't take a charge, i replaced it and the buzzing stopped and the car has been fine since..

JEFFSOBOMB
09-27-2011, 01:13 PM
It wouldn't explain the blown fuses though, would it?

JEFFSOBOMB
09-27-2011, 02:21 PM
Also, which one exactly is the EGI Relay? Location? I've been looking this up and can't find sh**.

modulation
09-27-2011, 05:01 PM
Also, which one exactly is the EGI Relay? Location? I've been looking this up and can't find sh**.

The EFI and Fuel Pump relay are in the box next to the battery on a S13. I'm not sure about where on a s14 but I would say they are under the hood in under a black box. They are normally blue or green squares.

I'd also check the corrision on your battery terminals, and try a jump start.

bp057
09-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Had this problem once in mine, was a bad battery. Parts shop should test it for free.

JEFFSOBOMB
09-27-2011, 10:54 PM
Batteries fine. It's not the issue.

And yeah, @Modulation, that would generally be where some relays are located, but I still don't know which one is the EGI/EFI/ECCS relay that links to the ECU as well as the 7.5 EGI fuse. As for checking the wires, I don't know where to start.

91ka24de
09-27-2011, 11:12 PM
grounds is the start usually, anything bolted or screwed to the car, next go to wearable points near engine/torque spots, firewall entry points, plugs

digitalhero1
09-29-2011, 09:11 PM
um id say check the volts on ur battery,
and check ur alt fuse, should be a 75 amp i think, it happend to me before and replaced both and noise was gone and started fine.

stawrs
12-25-2011, 09:59 AM
i used to have that weird buzz i was just having a bad connection to the battery.. i shaved the poles and got me a good connection and buzzing was gone..