PDA

View Full Version : SCCA people

Matt_240
11-30-2003, 02:06 AM
Just went to my second event today. I have a 95 240 with exhaust, strutbar, and HEs. just wondering...are u guys even close to keeping up with the Sti's and s2000s? they were getting low 60s and i was getting 74s today :( . am i just a crappy driver or are their cars far superior? just curious as to how you guys are doing. :)

Agamemnon
11-30-2003, 03:06 AM
Because this was your second event, I would assume your skills are in need of improvement. Get enough seat time, and you should be able to make those STi boys start to worry.

Hell I have a stock 95, and I am only a couple of seconds behind WRX's and S2000's.

DRFT
11-30-2003, 03:41 AM
practice makes perfect. more practice!gogogogo!

Mikes14240sx
11-30-2003, 07:05 AM
Practice and a good set of tires.

drift_newbie
11-30-2003, 08:09 AM
Just as some input, this past season was my 2nd Autocross. On average, the STi WRX is one of the fastest cars in our region. I think the closest I got to them in my '89 fastback was about 4 seconds back, and I have agx/whitelines, hicas rear bar, relatively sticky tires, and all unecessary weight removed.

Those cars are fast, just ask all of the c4 and c5 'vettes in our region!

-Ben

mrmephistopheles
11-30-2003, 08:19 AM
belongs in Motorsports.

wanganwonder
11-30-2003, 10:31 AM
it all depends on driver skill. example: i suck, but i beat an m3, a mustang gt, 2 wrx's and an sti with a stock car on pos tires. if the STi driver sucks, you should be able to beat him, assuming you're a decent driver. More importantly, you should focus on your own times and improving them, not beating the other guy.
peace.

Rennen
11-30-2003, 12:39 PM
To reiterate what others have said, its all about the driver.

Take my last autocross for example:

http://www.crownautocross.org/results/20031102-kcrscca-8-results.htm

If you look at A-Stock there are 4 WRX STis there. 2 of them have decent drivers who are adjusting to new cars, the other 2 are driven by "bad" drivers. If you scroll down a bit to G-Stock you will see my stock POS 240. My raw times were around those of the horrible STi drivers, but more than 4 seconds off of a decently driven STi.

Now scroll all the way down to Street Tire. Look at Adam's times(2nd place). He is a good driver in a stock 240. His times are closer to the fast STis

If you really want to compare your times to faster cars, use the PAX time.

Like the others said, this is only your second event. I was horrible until like my 4th or 5th event, and I still didn't have a good feel for the car until my 7th. This was my first season, and I didn't ever try to beat anybody, my focus was on learning the car. Next season though, some ass will be kicked;)

-Matt

Matt_240
11-30-2003, 10:47 PM
yea, it must definitely be my driving skills. only my second event... i can't expect much.. thanks for letting me understand that am the suck tho :D

MovinUp-1
12-01-2003, 10:50 AM
You are not necessarily the suck. You are just the noob. Keep at it. Walk the course as much as you can. Ask one of the fast guys in your region if you can walk with them. 99% of the time they'll be happy to help.

Matt_240
12-01-2003, 12:52 PM
i'll try and do that nexttime. my tires arent too good right now.. do you think i should wait till i get good tires? will my efforts of improving be in vain if i run on "not so grippy" tires? i think the fronts have about 50% and rear has about %70 with slight wear from drifting. and this is a really noob question but should i be running 0 camber? or slight neg. camber? thanks.. i need all the help i can get :)

HaLo
12-01-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Matt_240
i'll try and do that nexttime. my tires arent too good right now.. do you think i should wait till i get good tires? will my efforts of improving be in vain if i run on "not so grippy" tires? i think the fronts have about 50% and rear has about %70 with slight wear from drifting. and this is a really noob question but should i be running 0 camber? or slight neg. camber? thanks.. i need all the help i can get :)

I'd recommend on using the car with regular street (summer) tires for at least 5-6 events. Afterward, you'll have to put on some race tires to be competitive. It's important thought to learn how your car drives on street tires before because race tires don't forgive when they let go.