PDA

View Full Version : one coil isnt getting spark? WTF

two40guy
09-15-2011, 03:59 PM
got my s13, dropped the s14 sr in and got it running but it seems number two coil pack.. is doing nothing. it gets power my whole coil pack harness is getting power but its like it doesnt wanna pulse and make it throw spark.. and its just the number 2 coil pack plug, i switched the coils around and they work on other plugs just that one doesnt wanna spark.. any suggestions?

army240
09-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Igniter is blown, or you have a short/open between the coil and the igniter, or between the igniter and the ECU! Do some continuity test to rule out any wiring issues.

Frank

two40guy
09-16-2011, 07:25 AM
I did continuity test it all the to the Ecu plug and its fine.. bad Ecu? :(

two40guy
09-16-2011, 10:35 AM
Come on no ones got anything? :( finally got it running and I can't even drive it gotta be something

JSimpson
09-16-2011, 02:03 PM
Its the ECU. I had this exact same thing happen on my VH45 S13. Get a test light from Harbour freight for $7...

There was no spark on #4, changed the coils around, and still no spark on #4, so i checked around on the working cylinders with a test light. #4 coil plug had no signal pulse from ECU, changed ECU and got spark again and ran perfect.

On the coil it says E+-
E is common ground (test light green)
+ is 12v+ (test light red)
- is the signal from ECU (while cranking test light will flash green)

If you have this, you will have spark, if you have this and don't have spark your coil or sparkplug is bad. If you don't have this, your ECU or ignitor is bad (test plug on ECU side of ignitor and it will rule out ignitor)