PDA

View Full Version : ka24de timing issue with new head

Slims
09-10-2011, 12:08 PM
I know, there are more then enough threads about this. been searching for over a week as I've been trying to get this working. anyways...

I'm running a 91 KA24DE, built head with a slight P&P, ebay 4-2-1 header with a relocated intake to the intake side. (about 16 inches between the MAF and throttle body)

My valvetran was starting to take a dump on the stock head (240K) so i decided to throw my ka-t head on since im waiting for more funds. full BC internals, BC stage 2 cams and a slight port and polish. I threw the cams in the stock head so i know its not the infamous issue of BC cams not timing right.

I've set the timing multiple times, re-stabbed the dizzy more times then the Zodiac murders and am finally at a loss. When all markings are lined up (idler sprocket, sprocket to cams, crank pulley at tdc, cam lobes in correct spot, correct amount of links between gears, blah blah blah) I can get it started. but it dies when it tries to drop the idle. The position of the dizzy is not effecting whether it dies or not,(though the dizzy is ether pointed slightly up or down, not horizontal like it should be for s13.) the TPS is. I opened it all the way(i think; top edge pushed all the way back.) with this its running about 30 before TDC (to the right of TDC mark) My idle is sitting at about 2K so I can't get a real good idle timing. If it touches 1K it goes directly to 500 and sputters to stay alive.

I'm thinking maybe the idle sprocket is off by half a link since it was dropped, but the mark lines up spot on at tdc. when i adjust the idle sprocket ether way, the cam lobes do not seem to line up right. IF it is the sprocket, what way would i turn it to retard the timing?

I'm doubting that a slight port, new springs and valves could throw this off so much, but im lost so throw ideas at me. let me know if more info is needed.

SCLA_Z32
09-10-2011, 07:37 PM
22 dollars?

waxball88
09-10-2011, 11:29 PM
Id be willing to bet the dizzy is off. I did mine like 5 times. Then I tried turning it back one tooth, slowly turn the engine by hand and it'll pull the dizzy in. My car then started right up.

Slims
09-11-2011, 08:10 AM
My dizzy can be put in by hand so I'm not sure that's it. I've set it advanced, retarded and dead on. I got the timing to read 15 BTDC so I think the timing ok.

I hooked up a AFR gauge and it shows me running pretty lean at idle. No numbers, just an auto meter one. I'm not sure how much it should be so I'll have to check it out, or does anyone know off hand? since I'm able to stay running with a slight rev I'm starting to think Im not getting Enough fuel. I swapped my injectors with another rail, still the same thing. So I'm gona swap my fuel pump, filter, throw in a FPR and try a bit more fuel.

Will I need a tune if I manually increase the pressure a bit? And does anyone know if the stock injectors can handle a bit more, or will I need some SRs or something.

Oh and off topic but all 4 calipers locked up. I'm guessing the master went bad? And yes, its all 4.

rcdad123
09-11-2011, 08:44 AM
try this. put the crank pulley timing mark to 20 degrees BTDC on compression stroke. put a mark on the distributor body next to the number 1 plug wire on the distributor cap. remove the cap and make sure the rotor is pointing to the mark that you made on the distributor body. if it`s not, you need to adjust the distributor so that it is, try to make the trailing edge of the rotor to line up with the mark, that will make the timing more advanced than 20 degrees. this procedure will make it sure that the distributor is installed correctly. if the car srill won`t idle at 1000 rpm or less, it`s not your ignition timing. it could be cam timing, bad air temp sensor or the temp sensor is not getting any airflow, bad ecu water temp sensor, a leak on the air pipe between the MAF and throttle body. it could a few other things. good luck.

Slims
09-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the suggestions man. That's actually a lot of good stuff to check, some I didn't think of. I got the car running through.

Anyways, PROBLEM SOLVED

It ended up being not enough fuel, went and swapped my walbro in and changed the filter, nothing. Threw on some Stock SR injectors, and BAM...my engine blew up, in a contained sequence. the idle is fine, revs a lot smoother. It runs a bit rich, but I'm sure a small tune will fix it up.
so...
N/A KA+ built & PP head, high flow header, street cams = bigger injectors. hope this helps someone in the future.

Thanks to everyone who posted for the ideas and suggestions!