PDA

View Full Version : dented sr oil pan

HellaSexyS13
09-06-2011, 05:47 PM
i read somewhere that even the slightest dent in an sr20 oil pan can screw everything up. is this true? i have a s14 sr20 and the oil pan has a minor dent in it, i havent started it yet oil filled it with oil and im wondering should i get a new pan before i even try?

any info on this would be great

future
09-06-2011, 05:52 PM
If your oil pan is not fucked up, your not doing it right

anton1o
09-06-2011, 06:11 PM
i read somewhere that even the slightest dent in an sr20 oil pan can screw everything up. is this true? i have a s14 sr20 and the oil pan has a minor dent in it, i havent started it yet oil filled it with oil and im wondering should i get a new pan before i even try?

any info on this would be great

Kind of hard to guess where the actual dint is to properly comment.

But i would personally change it if its an OEM Unit, Get a MOROSO unit they are awesome and should be cheap since your in the states it costs a fortune over here :(

OkiDori17
09-06-2011, 11:27 PM
the oil pickup sits really close to the pan so if there is a dent it will restrict oil and thats never good. if the dent is really bad i would take the oil pan off and make sure the pickup isnt bent and if you have the cash upgrading to an aftermarket one would be ideal =]

Walperstyle
09-07-2011, 12:46 AM
If your oil pan is not fucked up, your not doing it right

useless comment. The dude 2 years older then you explained it right.

fliprayzin240sx
09-08-2011, 12:40 AM
If you look at the pan, the middle area thats flat/squared is where the sump sits. If its dented and looks like that area is pushed up, itll be pushing against the sump and potentially clog the opening. If you're not sure, it wouldnt hurt to drop the pan and beat it out with a mallet. No need to get another oil pan.

OkiDori17
09-08-2011, 08:55 AM
I'm not saying he HAS to get another oil pan, but if he could spare the money it would be better to. Not only do most aftermarket oil pans hold more oil and provide better cooling, but the gates inside insure that the oil is always right there at the pick up.
spend a little money > oil starvation

s14unimog
09-09-2011, 11:58 AM
It literately takes only a couple minutes to drop that pan and beat it back flat. Just lay it on a piece of wood and use the end of a 2x4 to hit it back flat. It'll help keep you from crushing the ribs in it. Just fix it, its not worth the risk.

HellaSexyS13
09-14-2011, 04:39 PM
it was just a little dent in the corner, should be ok then