PDA

View Full Version : help ASAP sr20 oil leak

Future_gohan
09-04-2011, 10:20 PM
I put a new clutch in my sr20 and I found out the crank was retapped bigger and had bigger bolts in it, and unbolting the flywheel one hole pulled threads out, so I just went with one less bolt, but I didn't think about it does the bolt holes on the crank go completely threw or do the wholesend? My car leaks oil it seems to only I i run it then shut it off then it leaks. Im confused sucks I gotta pull the trans tomorrow :(

codyace
09-04-2011, 10:25 PM
crank bolts never touch oil. sure the rear main is ok?

Future_gohan
09-04-2011, 11:30 PM
I was told the motor has 1k miles so I would assume the seal was replaced so im honestly not sure, im going to diagnose it tomorrow and hopefully get it leak free...

Future_gohan
09-05-2011, 10:34 PM
As an update to my issue I let it run facing down hill and and it was leaking pretty good which is crazy. so it does leak when running aswell.

codyace
09-06-2011, 07:28 AM
pressure wash the engine, see wehre the oil leaks...it could be anywhere

Future_gohan
09-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Well I used engine degreeser on the whole thing and I can tell its coming from inside the bell housing no place else

theboy
09-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Pull the trans, clutch, and flywheel. Check rear main seal. Check the plate the seal is pressed into. Check your upper oil pan to block seal (gasket or silicon). Use a flash light and check to see if the new holes drilled into your crank were run all the way thru. They should not go all the way thru. If so, go buy a new crank and start the rebuild. Stick junk crank up previous owners ass for being a moron.

Future_gohan
09-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Lol^ I got 3 bell housing bolts to go and its out so ill know soon

codyace
09-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Well I used engine degreeser on the whole thing and I can tell its coming from inside the bell housing no place else

Ah I misread you, I thought you said it was leaking everywhere. You do know there is an inspection cover you can use a magnet to see if it's leaking below the seal/clutch...I've seen cars leak through there that have a rear valve cover leak too, that's frustrating.

Future_gohan
09-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Well the valve cover looks to be going bad aswell so ill be replacing it at this time aswell, I absolutely hate oil leaks and this is a bad one. The clutch was dry so the bolt hole wasn't leaking but the rear main seal didn't look bad either, so I pulled that rear plate off and cleaned it all up installed a new seal and gasket and put it all back together, im hoping once I get this transmission back in it doesn't leak any mores